Linden Increases Premium Fees & Credit Processing Fees

Amigo Uriza

Too Old for This Job
Joined SLU
03-31-2010
SLU Posts
On June 24, Premium Membership prices will be increasing. Why? It has been over 10 years since we’ve changed pricing and we continue to add new features and benefits to increase its value. To see our new pricing, check out the chart below:

Effective June 24, 2019, the process credit fee will increase from 2.5% per transaction to 5% per transaction with a minimum fee of US$3. There is no maximum fee.
How is that even possible ? EVerything at once ?
I have just received an email .. and I'm quite frustrated.
I wonder if there is soemthing to skip this, a part from moving to private regions.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Han Held

Couldbe Yue

Syncing with reality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-16-2008
SLU Posts
I've just seen the email and you can see that they're getting desperate to raise revenue.

I'm going to not renew a couple of my premium accounts when they fall due as I don't mind that it costs me a couple of dollars after the stipend is taken into account but since I don't go into sl anymore it's just a waste of money.

• 1Hug
  • 1Like
Reactions: Cristalle and Clara D.

Amigo Uriza

Too Old for This Job
Joined SLU
03-31-2010
SLU Posts
We have pages of discussion about this subject already in this thread (with this a bit confusing title): Please check out the SL blog.
Misleading to say the least. It should have been fixed to save time.
I already read more than 80 pages in the official forums last night :cry:. I expiated all my Second Life sins in the process.

nebula

NOPE
SL Rez
Joined SLU
And yet I still need to cash out. Increasing the fee sucks, but what ya gonna do.

Wildefire Walcott

Still the cheapest MMO sub I have.
Wish that were true for me. I haven't had to pay membership or land use fees out-of-pocket since 2007, but now that I've backed away from SL business I'm gonna be on the hook for $43.25/month ($35/mo land use tier), making Second Life my 7th-highest monthly living expense (out of 20 total), and over twice the montly cost of my next-highest entertainment subscription.

I love the grid, but doing some serious soul searching rn on what my Second Life is gonna look like. Thinking about paring down to just my free 1024sqm.

Oh, and for what it's worth, on the other thread it looked like people were canceling/re-subscribing in order to lock in the old premium amounts before the price goes up? I just looked at my account, and I see an option to re-sub at the annual level now, pushing my rebilling date to 2021. Don't know if that's new?

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Ashiri

NeoBokrug Elytis

Thread Reaper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
It's not new. It's something LL said they would do in their original announcement.

Amigo Uriza

Too Old for This Job
Joined SLU
03-31-2010
SLU Posts
Oh, and for what it's worth, on the other thread it looked like people were canceling/re-subscribing in order to lock in the old premium amounts before the price goes up? I just looked at my account, and I see an option to re-sub at the annual level now, pushing my rebilling date to 2021. Don't know if that's new?
This is a common tactic in marketing, where you can tell your customers, pay me a year or deal with a raise.
In this scenario for Linden, the deal is mae in order to prevent a drop of 30% premium subscribers.
If they lose a 30% subscribers, it means the price increase won't have any impact at all. We all assume the objective of this change is to make money.

So in order to prevent this 30% (3 of 10 premiums) to quit, they honor a year. After one year, the new price will be standardised. Maybe some leave or maybe not. And that's why now, Linden is talking about a new Super Premium account that they will release in the next months. This new super premium account will be more expensive and you will have the feeling that the new increase is a cheap price. It's all mental.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I worry the drop will still be more than 3/10. Come October, I will mostly likely go from 4 down to 1, for example. By next year, when that one comes up again I may even drop to 0.

Sid

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SL is an old platform. Nothing spectacular new in ages. Maintaining is lots cheaper then development.
And then charging 30%+ more for next to nothing extra?
No way.
I ain't gonna pay for the slowly unfolding Sansar debacle.
I'll sleep under a bridge in SL if I still want to use it after my renewal date.
SL is still somewhat nice, but it has lost that exciting feeling many years ago.

NeoBokrug Elytis

Thread Reaper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
SL is an old platform. Nothing spectacular new in ages. Maintaining is lots cheaper then development.
Non-Premium perks just in the last year:
  • Environmental Enhancement Project
  • Animated Mesh
  • Experience Keys / Experiences
  • Linden Realms and it's Related Games
Premium Perks

• 2Like
Reactions: Gear and Chalice Yao

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
As much as I like to rant endlessy about LL's incompetencies and decisions at times, they are still developing things - if slowly and not always in ways I like - instead of just maintaining.
The '30%' increase in premium fee amounts to about $2.50 a month. That's a beer a month that the costs have increased. People spend the entire premium fee in *popcorn* when going to the movies for two hours of entertainment.

If I consider how many hours I spend daily in SL vs. the price of premium membership a month, I am still getting, quite frankly, a huge amount of daily creative hobby and entertainment and online socializing for the buck, compared to....pretty much anything else aside of maybe Netflix. Heck, I can't remember the last full-price computer game that kept me for a whole month.

As you examplify yourself, those who aren't willing to pay those ~2 bucks extra a month are (majorly) those who probably have lost their enthusiasm for SL as a primary hobby anyways - which is nothing bad per se, and understandable depending on what you use or used SL for - but as somebody who still uses SL for hours a day to this day, I have no problem with it.