Chapeau-ed Leader of the Free World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
Everywhere else is either too subject to U.S. influence, or has their own local problems... or both.
If it comes to it, I'm sure hiding out in Canada would work about as well as German Jews hiding out in Austria in the 1930s.

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
Grover Norquist is widely quoted as saying, "My goal is to cut government in half in twenty-five years, to get it down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub."
The COVID response is what the success in that area they've had looks like.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Roxanne Blue

Ranma Tardis

fernweh
SL Rez
Next t-rump will want to place LGBT in "protective custody."

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
If it comes to it, I'm sure hiding out in Canada would work about as well as German Jews hiding out in Austria in the 1930s.
But, but, the one time our countries fought you kicked our asses - surely you can do it again. /hopeful

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
But, but, the one time our countries fought you kicked our asses - surely you can do it again. /hopeful
The British Empire was the force to beat at the time, and all us colonials were a bunch of toothless lumberjacks, trappers, and hillbillies.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I was wondering how many of my brothers and sisters in the LGBT community have a plan to get out of the states if Trump and his nit wit followers ramp up their hate for us even more? I live near the border and a friend has offered me a place to live if I need to flee for my life.
I'm old enough to have seen this subject go from "almost never talked about" to the current DC Arrowverse TV shows having multiple LGBT characters. The right-wing nuts are a dying breed, and they know it. That's why they are so angry. Younger people mostly accept whatever sexuality other people choose. We had an openly gay presidential candidate who got a respectable following.

Change has been happening in other areas too. To my grandparent's generation marrying outside my religion was unthinkable. My parents would have preferred I hadn't, but accepted who I married. Young people are dropping religion altogether in significant numbers.

Trump's net approval rating is about -10%, which puts him on course to lose in November. There may be some rage shootings or whatever when that happens, but if he loses that badly, they will just have to accept it. Their time is over.

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Chaos Agent Mahagok💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
I’d prefer hearing about a sense of duty to not leave a stockpile of nuclear arms entirely in the hands of an apocalyptic death cult, but spite works too. 🍺
????

The death cult has entirely had the stockpile for years now.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Rick Scott as governor. Not the best place to go I'd think..
Half right. Scott is one of their senators now but the new guy is a donny suck up.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I feel inclined to agree. My disaster planning is mostly just minimal necessities like having some extra water and non perishable food in case of an earthquake, stuff like that.

I really, really don't think the USA has much risk of a gay genocide... There is a risk of losing gay marriage, the right to serve in the military, and some other stuff like that. That would be horrible, but not require fleeing in a matter of hours.
Gays are not all of lgbt and some of them (like hrc) are all too willing to throw the rest of the rainbow under the bus if it is them or us.

Roxie Marten

A member in good standing of the usual suspects
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Definitely not our choice either. He does a better impersonation of a human being, but only because he's an idiot. He did a press conference wearing one glove, touched the mic with his bare hand, and then his face. He did another where he put on a mask by one strap and left the other dangling under his chin.

He was slow to go into lockdown before the end of March. The Keys had already ejected all non-residents by mid-March because we're a (mostly) Blue county in a Red state. The county with the biggest outbreak (Miami-Dade) is just to our north, and after we set up roadblocks to keep out non-residents, people in Miami-Dade began to counterfeit hurricane re-entry stickers to get through. The sheriff also caught them counterfeiting colored passes they were issuing to non-resident essential workers, and he had to start changing them daily.

If we have to "run for the border", we have a friend who owns a warehouse with residential space on a small island called Boca Del Toro off Panama in the Caribbean. His address is "The Big Warehouse at the end of the runway". He lives on a houseboat and is paraplegic, with very limited use of his arms and one good hand. There's a fairly sizable contingent of former FL Keys residents and everyone goes to mass for the entertainment value. Their local reefs are splendid.
I never under estimate the Conch Republic

• 1Like
Reactions: Roxanne Blue