LGBT Exit Plan

Roxie Marten

A member in good standing of the usual suspects
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I was wondering how many of my brothers and sisters in the LGBT community have a plan to get out of the states if Trump and his nit wit followers ramp up their hate for us even more? I live near the border and a friend has offered me a place to live if I need to flee for my life.

bubblesort

I get what you are saying, but in America, moving is a young person's game. I can't find it now, but I saw statistics years ago showing that the number of people who move more than an hour away plummet by age 40, and they go down from there.

If you wanted to seek asylum, I would recommend the the nordic region, or maybe Canada.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I get what you are saying, but in America, moving is a young person's game. I can't find it now, but I saw statistics years ago showing that the number of people who move more than an hour away plummet by age 40, and they go down from there.

If you wanted to seek asylum, I would recommend the the nordic region, or maybe Canada.
Are you saying the elderly don't migrate to Florida?

bubblesort

Are you saying the elderly don't migrate to Florida?
They do, but IIRC, the numbers were in relation to working people, more than retirees (as if anybody retires any more). I think the numbers I'm remembering were a refutation of politicians saying they have to cut taxes for the wealthy or else the wealthy will take their wealth elsewhere. I wish I could find it, the research was very rigorous.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

Yeah, wherever you are at some point, no matter how much you want to be somewhere else, is pretty much an impossibility. Your ties, your so's ties, elderly relatives, lots of things to move. When I was a 20 something I could just pack everything in a van. Now? No way.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Roxie Marten

A member in good standing of the usual suspects
SL Rez
Joined SLU

If it's a choice of survival. I can be out here in 10 minutes and into Canada in about 2 hours. My social security will follow me unless they change the current rules

Free

Freebie Worlder
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I try to leave planning for worst case scenarios to risk management execs and doomsday preppers.

I certainly don't scoff at those who do, but I find life hard enough as it is without worrying over the different ways in which my world can end, and working out contingencies for them.

Roxanne Blue

Una Mujer Fantastica
SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2009
SLU Posts
Rick Scott as governor. Not the best place to go I'd think..
Actually, Rick Scott is now our Senator, elected 2018.

Ron DeSantis is now our governor, a Trump True Believer. He wouldn't open the state until he'd visited Trump in person - no social distancing allowed - to kiss his ass. DeSantis seems more human-like, but he's every bit as evil as Scott was. They purposely designed the worst possible computer system with the least benefits for the unemployed to keep their numbers artificially low. They never expected they might actually want the government to function.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
I try to leave planning for worst case scenarios to risk management execs and doomsday preppers.

I certainly don't scoff at those who do, but I find life hard enough as it is without worrying over the different ways in which my world can end, and working out contingencies for them.
I feel inclined to agree. My disaster planning is mostly just minimal necessities like having some extra water and non perishable food in case of an earthquake, stuff like that.

I really, really don't think the USA has much risk of a gay genocide... There is a risk of losing gay marriage, the right to serve in the military, and some other stuff like that. That would be horrible, but not require fleeing in a matter of hours.

Free

Freebie Worlder
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Ron DeSantis is now our governor, a Trump True Believer.
I'm pretty sure by mentioning those 2 names together in consecutive sentences, you've increased the risk of us having an Apocalypse by a few percentage points.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Roxanne Blue

Una Mujer Fantastica
SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2009
SLU Posts
I'm pretty sure by mentioning those 2 names together in consecutive sentences, you've increased the risk of us having an Apocalypse by a few percentage points.
Sadly, that's what happened. Both of these human impersonators were on the ballot together in 2018, and thus the virus apocalypse a year later.

• 1Flower
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna and Free

Jopsy Pendragon

Without Equal Justice, Freedom becomes Tyranny
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I went through this when Shrub Jr got re-elected.

tl;dr: Off planet options don't exist yet. Everywhere else is either too subject to U.S. influence, or has their own local problems... or both.

No, I'll stay put and go dark if it gets worse.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez

Ron DeSantis is now our governor, a Trump True Believer. He wouldn't open the state until he'd visited Trump in person - no social distancing allowed - to kiss his ass. DeSantis seems more human-like, but he's every bit as evil as Scott was. They purposely designed the worst possible computer system with the least benefits for the unemployed to keep their numbers artificially low. They never expected they might actually want the government to function.
Still not someone I’d want in charge of my state. And wasn’t he show to go into lockdown? Maybe because of Mar -a-lago?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Roxanne Blue

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Still not someone I’d want in charge of my state. And wasn’t he show to go into lockdown? Maybe because of Mar -a-lago?
We don't want him in charge of our state, and yes - luckily at least some counties and cities in the state closed things down or at least did a soft shut down.... but yeah, though, funnily enough they want to reopen the state, but not for themselves to work - oh no, only for the poor people to get sick and die.

I f-ing hate the GOP at this point.

Roxanne Blue

Una Mujer Fantastica
SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2009
SLU Posts
Definitely not our choice either. He does a better impersonation of a human being, but only because he's an idiot. He did a press conference wearing one glove, touched the mic with his bare hand, and then his face. He did another where he put on a mask by one strap and left the other dangling under his chin.

He was slow to go into lockdown before the end of March. The Keys had already ejected all non-residents by mid-March because we're a (mostly) Blue county in a Red state. The county with the biggest outbreak (Miami-Dade) is just to our north, and after we set up roadblocks to keep out non-residents, people in Miami-Dade began to counterfeit hurricane re-entry stickers to get through. The sheriff also caught them counterfeiting colored passes they were issuing to non-resident essential workers, and he had to start changing them daily.

If we have to "run for the border", we have a friend who owns a warehouse with residential space on a small island called Boca Del Toro off Panama in the Caribbean. His address is "The Big Warehouse at the end of the runway". He lives on a houseboat and is paraplegic, with very limited use of his arms and one good hand. There's a fairly sizable contingent of former FL Keys residents and everyone goes to mass for the entertainment value. Their local reefs are splendid.

Roxanne Blue

Una Mujer Fantastica
SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2009
SLU Posts
Isn't that their self-chosen mission since the 70s? Destroy any office the get voted into for the sake of missunderstood liberalism?

Grover Norquist is widely quoted as saying, "My goal is to cut government in half in twenty-five years, to get it down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub."

• 1bag of dicks
  • 1Dead!
Reactions: Isabeau and Free