Let's Explore - Sinespace

Cristiano

Full Frontal Nerdity
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I want to start an ongoing series of threads where we explorer different virtual worlds. One of the most promising new-ish virtual worlds is Sinespace, from Sine Wave. Users of Second Life will be familiar with the company's animations, and longtime SL resident Adam Zaius (aka @Adam Frisby) is majorly involved in its development.

You can register and download the clients for Windows, Mac and Linux at Welcome to sinespace | sinespace . The site also mentions beta testing of mobile clients and VR headsets.

I'll spend some time getting reacquainted with it (I've checked it out through various stages of early development but I've not spent much time there) and post my results and thoughts here.

My user name there is Cristiano - post your user names here once you sign up. We can eventually have some group events in various worlds.

Nadeja

SL Rez
Nice idea! My username there is the same: Nadeja. I signed up over a year ago, but I logged in just once in a while. Now there are more people and even clubs, so I'm logging in a bit more often.

Adam Frisby

Hey Cris - awesome (and thanks for the forum)

The 'explore' button at the bottom of the UI is a good starting point, we've got various regions featured there (which rotates from time to time - although is overdue another rotation) - also worth paying attention to the events list on the login screen, usually a good way to meet other avs (although the welcome center is usually busy)

• 1Like
Reactions: shy poster

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I'm Aribeth Zelin over there, though when I took my long break from SL, it sort of became a long break from virtual worlds in general.

• 1Like

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I have an account at Sine but like Aribeth I took a long break from virtual worlds and have only recently been visiting SL regularly again. I liked what I saw of Sine for the brief time I explored it when it first opened, though it seemed a WIP back then. I wouldn't mind visiting again to see how far things have come.

• 1Like
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-08-2007
SLU Posts
OK, just tried it and couldn't move for a long while, but it's not what stopped me -- other avatars were bright glowing blue shapes and I couldn't watch. I'm a tiny wee bit light sensitive. Is there a way to turn that "glowing" feature off? That's really a showstopper for me.

Adam Frisby

OK, just tried it and couldn't move for a long while, but it's not what stopped me -- other avatars were bright glowing blue shapes and I couldn't watch. I'm a tiny wee bit light sensitive. Is there a way to turn that "glowing" feature off? That's really a showstopper for me.
Hey hrrm - that's our loading graphic, I hadn't actually heard of anyone with a sensitivity to that, but you can tune it down a bit by switching Bloom off in the settings. That might be advisable anyway (blue gear, either on the login screen, or inworld - lower right corner)

SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-08-2007
SLU Posts
Hey hrrm - that's our loading graphic, I hadn't actually heard of anyone with a sensitivity to that, but you can tune it down a bit by switching Bloom off in the settings. That might be advisable anyway (blue gear, either on the login screen, or inworld - lower right corner)
I tried the blue gear. There's no bloom option there; is it called another way?

Cristiano

Full Frontal Nerdity
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Thanks to @Adam Frisby for graciously letting me grouse at him about the blue and green UI. Some great improvements to it are upcoming. It's nice to see Sinespace take their UI seriously - SL's has always been terrible and it was a barrier to wider adoption.

• 1Like

Adam Frisby

Yep - UI is a known bug. ;) We've got a big project underway to replace it, but you'd be surprised how much work that throws up. :)

Knutz Scorpio

SL Rez
Joined SLU
02-15-2014
I am also Knutz Scorpio in Sinespace. First created the account there a while ago but used it very little because I spent most my time on an opensim derived grid. After that grid spectacularly failed I looked at other grids and poked a bit at Second Life, but I'm starting to feel that SL and Opensim has run their course for me and have started taking another look at Sinespace.

My old computer hardware has been another thing holding me back from Sinespace, and I think we can all agree a Core 2 Quad is old. Recently stepped up to a X5570 Xeon workstation (to take advantage of the cheap used server memory) and performance has improved greatly (As best as I can tell it's the equivalent of a first gen i7). But I brought over the GTX 550 ti from my old(er) system and as I ran around in the realm Gothica I don't think I've ever heard its cooling fan ramp up so hard (was about 83 degrees C most of the time).

Creating in Sinespace is a fair bit more complicated then in SL/OS. Have to install Unity and use it to upload your creations to some point where it is approved and then uploaded to where you can use it. The instructions and tutorials are easy enough to follow, just takes some time (figure on at least an hour of downloading, installing, and configuring Unity and a Sinespace package). I've got Unity installed, now gotta go through the tutorials about using it. And I guess there's a prim like thing in Sinespace, haven't found it in the current viewer

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Adam Frisby

If you're creating, I strongly recommend joining our Discord group (see the pinned thread in this forum) - we post beta versions of our editor packs there, and the latest beta has some really significant quality-of-life improvements for creators. :)

• 1Like
Reactions: RyanSchultz

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
Let's all party in Sinespace tonight!

• 1Like
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-08-2007
SLU Posts
I gave it a whirl the other day after turning off bloom (yay!). I couldn't do much because, well, my internet was crapping out (in particular I wanted to go to Gothika, but the internet gods had decided that wouldn't happen), but overall, I enjoyed it.

What I really liked:
- It's low-poly. Guys, keep it that way! The high-poly cat is one that's impossible to put back in the bag once it's gotten out. I also like that it shows the size in MB of whatever you want to buy on the marketplace.
- Previewing clothes. Oh yes baby!
- The materials look great. I like the overall look and feel of the world.
- Face and body sliders: I managed to get a face I like really easily with the female avatar, a bit less easily with the male one (couldn't tweak the chin/jaw angle to my liking). I find the arm length a bit short by default, but my new settings for it didn't seem to stick. It's likely due to my shabby internet connection.
- I've got a home!
- Placing furniture. Simple, smooth, and as intuitive as it gets.
- Default hairs look great! Newsea's a good creator to have on board, and her creations seem to convert better to Sinespace than they do to SL. I was pleased to see some familiar names on the marketplace, too.

What I didn't like as much:
- The inventory is fine now because I've got, like, 4 items, but I can't see it scale up without adding custom sub-folders. Same for the marketplace directories.
- The camera rotates a bit fast for my liking. I couldn't find a setting for the speed.
- Lack of contextual menu -- it's pretty much a one-button-mouse world. Not a real issue, actually; it just means it'll take some getting used to.
- Face and body sliders: a tad disorganised. I can't remember now because I'm not looking at it, but some sliders that I feel should be grouped together are really far apart.
- I was looking forward to the animations, but I'm sorry to say I don't like the default AO for my avatar. She sashays when she walks, and she sways when she stands. I don't sashay. At all. I couldn't find a replacement walk on the marketplace, either. I think a less stereotypical option would be nice to have. I didn't use the male avatar for long enough to get a proper feel of his walks and stands.

I didn't try the quests yet, but that sounds fun.

Trilo

I'm late to the thread but wanna chime in anyway :)

I've been in SL since 2008 (username TriloByte Zanzibar) and in SineSpace (username trilobyte) since the open beta started in fall 2016. I actually discovered it somewhat accidentally, I was coming back to SL after a couple years of only barely having any time for virtual worlds, and running into frustrations about one thing or another. While casting a wider net on search I stumbled across some info, and soon discovered that they had an auto-rigger (so clothing designers don't need to get bogged down with things like weight painting) and planned support for cloth physics (dresses and coat tails that flowed freely). My partner (username blakopal) and I have been hooked ever since.

Over the summer there had been some chat-griefing so I wasn't accepting blind friend requests, apologies if someone from VV sent a request recently and I've ignored them. Speaking of chat, it's worth noting that SineSpace has a "chat gateway" - which is a fancy way of saying you can use a standalone chat program to connect to some of the in-world channels. You can find out more about that here.

Raindrop, I'm with you on the bloom. When it's done well I like it, but I believe it's one of those 'less is more' rendering effects... and all too often, the people who use it when building their regions go overboard. I kind of wish SineSpace would dial back the welcome center quite a bit, as I do think they actually lose some new arrivals over it (some people never stick around long enough to wait for everything to load and then have a conversation with somebody to tell them they can turn off bloom).

I also agree that the user interface and camera controls leave a lot to be desired. We've been getting teased about improvements to both of those coming soon for quite a long time, the optimist in me wants to believe we'll see it in 2018.

Animations... yeah, there is a frustrating lack of animations in SineSpace. It's even more weirdly frustrating considering that Sine Wave Entertainment (makers of SineSpace) makes animations in SL!!! I do think it's a temporary problem, I think that as more makers & creators join the fray the gaps in content will fill in. Where SL used the slightly more obscure .bvh format, SineSpace runs on the Unity engine, and Unity supports both .bvh and .fbx.

I've got a few builds on the live grid that may be worth checking out...
  • BlakOpal - it's long overdue for an update, but our shop region is built on a fairly large island to explore with trees and plants that move in the wind and underwater camera effects.
  • Black Rock Desert - it's a great big chunk of the northwestern Nevada desert... specifically, it's a virtual version of the site where the Burning Man arts & culture festival is held. It's a huge region (20km x 20km), with the "event space" having a 14.5km perimeter fence surrounding it (just like we have at the RL event), and blowing clouds of dust (also just like the real-world location). Eventually I'd like to have camps, art, and events here as well.
  • Faraway Island - this one is sort of a cast-off. It started as a tutorial project for a Unity terrain tool plugin I was learning. After completing the tutorial, I tweaked a number of the settings and variables (replacing the stock grass and trees with my own, and replacing the fairly generic water with a better system I had that included underwater effects). It's a 5km x 5km island to explore... well, actually two islands. It makes for some pretty sightseeing, but it's a massive download, unless you're on a zippy connection I wouldn't recommend it. I plan on replacing it with a better build in the very near future
  • Volcanic Environment - this one is also sort of a cast-off, but IT IS AWESOME! I made it to test the compatibility of a Unity asset that I was working with, and so as regions go it's not terribly big (.5km x .5km, I think)... but it is a volcano! As in rivers of molten lava and giant rocks flying through the air. It's also a fairly small region, I think it's worth a visit just for the coolness factor of the oozing lava and lighting effects.
  • BlakOpal's Courtyard - I like this build a lot. I was tasked with building a fun space that my gf could lounge around and hang out in, as well as decorate with furniture... and this is what I made. A fellow SineSpace maker is also a game artist/asset kit publisher, and when he finished a set of Roman architecture he'd spent more than a year making I plunked down my $$ to support his amazing art. I took those pieces to make a roman courtyard space, and then built a region around that. I designed a couple leafy trees as well as lemon trees, and then added in a couple cats (modeled on our RL housecats) that run around the courtyard. The lemon grove has hummingbirds, and there are flocks of sparrows in the skies above (when the lazy jerks aren't just loafing on the roof of the courtyard). Not-so-secretly, there is also a treasure chest somewhere in the lemon grove. If you find it and click on it, it will give you some silver currency.
I hope to replace some of those builds with even better stuff in the near-ish future. I've been having a lot of fun learning how to use Unity and make stuff for SineSpace, it has fast become one of those things where I wish I had more time in the day to spend working on making stuff. It reminds me a lot of the early days of Second Life in that regard.

Lewis Luminos

The Gingerbeard Man
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I made an account today (Lewis Luminos, of course) and so far, I like it. Managed to find ginger hair, but couldn't find a skin I like, there aren't many and they are all pretty dark. The shop/marketplace is very sparse, there's hardly anything of anything in there, and most of it is very expensive compared to SL. Shop and inventory reminds me of the Sims.

I love the house (except it's HUGE, even by SL standards), but furniture is expensive too, so all I have in it so far is one sofa and one pumpkin. The pumpkin was free.

I'd like to try making my own stuff for it, particularly art pieces, but I have no effing clue how to even start.