Leaving Neverland Gets Mixed Reactions

Beebo Brink

Resident Grouch
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
In his defenses, he had always made out like he was nothing but pure innocence in that he had no designs upon these children, that he was just an overgrown child, who just happened to enjoy sleepovers.
Few people -- except for outright sociopaths -- want to be the monster in the story. The more heinous their actions, the stronger a person's investment in making excuses. People can tie themselves in the most intricate knots to justify doing something wrong or to rationalize why what they're doing isn't wrong at all.

So I'm sure Michael Jackson was lying as blatantly to himself as he was to everyone else. The mind can hold different and conflicting realities and pull up the most convenient and acceptable one as needed, to fit the current situation. It's one of those "amazing human tricks!" at which our species excels.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I'm not sure how I feel. The documentary presents a compelling story certainly, but it comes down to credibility - and there are some giant holes in the story, and some compelling motivations to lie. Abuse victims should always be believed until they give reason not to, and I'm torn here.
I have not seen the site or the film but remember: first person accounts are rarely 100% accurate. An event could suddenly take place with 50 witnesses and you will get at least 51 different stories.

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
I have not seen the site or the film but remember: first person accounts are rarely 100% accurate. An event could suddenly take place with 50 witnesses and you will get at least 51 different stories.
Ok maybe for a spectating event. But sexual abuse is a bit different. Some of that shit you will never forget even if you try to.

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I watched the entire thing, and I find them both more credible than I did initially. There are some questions about both of them, certainly, but I do think they are basically telling the truth.

Free

I am your polar opposite opposite
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Barbra Streisand apologizes after saying Michael Jackson's accusers were "thrilled to be there"
In an interview with The Times of London, Streisand shared her thoughts on "Leaving Neverland," a documentary that tells the stories of two men who allege Jackson sexually abused them when they were children.

[...]

"You can say 'molested,' but those children, as you heard them say, they were thrilled to be there," she said. "They both married and they both have children, so it didn't kill them."

"It's a combination of feelings," Streisand said. "I feel bad for the children. I feel bad for him. I blame, I guess, the parents, who would allow their children to sleep with him."
Someone needs to teach a class for famous people on when to keep your mouth shut.

Ava Glasgow

Ava Ava hot like lava
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Wow, yeah it does seem that certain stars don't get it. They often defend the indefensible, similar to Roman Polanski and Woody Allen.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Ava Glasgow and Sid

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
One thing I have learned about all of these continuing revelations of abuse is to not put your idols above reproach. Sometimes, it is hard to do so. I grew up when the "Bad" album got daily play. I, myself, played it to death. Michael Jackson was the "King of Pop". He reached the pinnacle and then some. His story of coming up poor, beaten by his dad yet rising to the top was quite compelling. It's not that dissimilar from Cosby. Omg, I liked Cosby. Again, it was an age thing. I grew up with him daily. He also had traits that one could like. He made tv that featured black folks a reality. I remember him as far back as the Fat Albert show. Loved his stand up shows in the 80's. Both seemed above reproach until the ugly reality hit many years later. Al Franken. OMG, he was the darling of the left. He was brutally honest in his attacks on what is wrong with this country. I read his books. I trusted him almost implicitly, much to my later chagrin, and being the hometown boy only added to it.

People are weak, They are fallible. They have faults, sometimes evil and life-changing faults for their victims. We should never put them on the pedestal. Human frailty will always strike its ugly head. That's all fine and good until it comes to actively hurting others. We HAVE to be able to distinguish the public persona from the private person. We have to make judgments that our idols have done horrible things and are no longer worthy of idolization, and in some cases prison. We probably should not idolize them to begin with. We really should be idolizing the people close to us that have always been there, the steady and supportive father, the mother who worked overtime to get you new shoes and so on. Something within us draws us to that public persona of stars, though.

Nothing ever justifies abuse. People twist themselves into all sorts of contortions to defend the indefensible. Why? We don't know them personally. We only know of them, and what they want us to see. Still, it will continue to happen, especially by those who have almost unlimited power over others.

Last edited: