Lawsuit claims Fortnite as addictive as cocaine

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
All I want to know is, is there a treatment for it?

Montreal's Calex Légal law firm filed a lawsuit on behalf of two parents against Fortnite's parent company, Epic Games, according to CBC. The suit claims that Fortnite causes the brain to release dopamine at a rate that's similar to cocaine, leading to chemical addiction. The parents and their legal team believe that Epic Games purposely created Fortnite to be as addictive as possible.

"Epic Games, when they created Fortnite, for years and years, hired psychologists - they really dug into the human brain and they really made the effort to make it as addictive as possible," an attorney for Calex Légal, Alessandra Esposito Chartrand, explained. "They knowingly put on the market a very, very addictive game which was also geared toward youth."

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Although there's some silliness in the early portion of the video owing to it being an April 1 upload, this video ends up visually describing exactly how Fortnight is very much designed to addict players to playing and thereby compel them to start and continuing paying lots of money to be able to continue.

• 1Interesting
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Man, I was totally addicted to SL for years.
It's more like an addiction to snorting baby powder.

That may look like cocaine on your nostrils, but all you're really doing is drying out your nasal passages.

• 1Wow!
Reactions: Sid

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
That may look like cocaine on your nostrils, but all you're really doing is drying out your nasal passages.
Not to mention, didn't they recently determine that talcum powder causes cancer?

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts

Imnotgoing Sideways

Puts the FU in Cute
Suddenly tempted to try out some coke. At worst, I'll be indifferent and quit within a couple hours. =^-^=

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
It's a dumb lawsuit.

First thing, FortNite is two games in one. The original Save The World mode, which originally was the only FortNite, and Battle Royale, which came after. Fortnite wasn't aimed at young people. Kids found the game because it was a Battle Royale game that passed the Mom test. Mom wouldn't let them play M-rated PubG, but Fortnite Battle Royale doesn't have blood and has "pixarish" character design.

That said, I'm utterly opposed to anyone under the age of 14 playing either mode. IMHO kids have RUINED Save the World. Why do you ask?

Because Fortnites virtual currency is easier to earn in STW. You see, these kids don't have payment info and mom isn't going to pay for PSN/Xbox/Nintendo store cards all the time to buy battle passes and cosmetics. So the kids buy access to STW and play that to earn the vbucks for BR cosmetics. But...in STW...vbucks are used to purchase loot llamas (which are no longer blind, you can see what they have before buying). Without Heroes/Survivors/Weapons/Traps from those llamas, the BRats will be underspecced and are generally useless as players in a Cooperative game. They also treat STW like "GunPokemonCards" and fill up their inventories with weapons they consider "super-guns", generally ones they've seen in some FPS their mom shouldn't have let them play like Battlefield or CoD. They acquire those weapons by "trading", they can't craft them themselves. They are fed by youtubers who should know better having "giveaways", to increase followers/subscribers. And because they fill up their inventories with guns that someone else crafted, they won't have the materials to craft their own weapons, or craft traps, which are necessary.

Also, STW has a LOT of RPG-ish elements, and these BRats don't understand that. They all want plvl130 weapons even if they're in Stonewood (the first zone), they don't understand that weapons are capped depending on hero level and zone and that they're wasting those high powered weapons. But they say they need those because without them they can't kill husks...which is because they don't understand the FORT stats, survivor squads, research points and whatnot. If they understood the game mechanics they could single shot basic enemies with a plvl34 weapon in stonewood.

About the only llamas I'm interested in are the super people llamas which often have mythic lead survivors. I still have one squad without a Mythic lead. Otherwise I'm fairly well equipped and don't need much. I can fill out my needs with event llamas (Purchased with event tickets and not vbucks), and the STW item store where you can pick up schematics/heroes/upgrade materials with the gold you get for completing any mission. I have bought vbucks a couple of times to pick up some cosmetics. Some BR cosmetics can be used in STW now.(emotes and pickaxes). I am an Ultimate Edition Founder though, so I started out with some stuff.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
It's a dumb lawsuit.

First thing, FortNite is two games in one. The original Save The World mode, which originally was the only FortNite, and Battle Royale, which came after. Fortnite wasn't aimed at young people. Kids found the game because it was a Battle Royale game that passed the Mom test. Mom wouldn't let them play M-rated PubG, but Fortnite Battle Royale doesn't have blood and has "pixarish" character design.

That said, I'm utterly opposed to anyone under the age of 14 playing either mode. IMHO kids have RUINED Save the World. Why do you ask?

Because Fortnites virtual currency is easier to earn in STW. You see, these kids don't have payment info and mom isn't going to pay for PSN/Xbox/Nintendo store cards all the time to buy battle passes and cosmetics. So the kids buy access to STW and play that to earn the vbucks for BR cosmetics. But...in STW...vbucks are used to purchase loot llamas (which are no longer blind, you can see what they have before buying). Without Heroes/Survivors/Weapons/Traps from those llamas, the BRats will be underspecced and are generally useless as players in a Cooperative game. They also treat STW like "GunPokemonCards" and fill up their inventories with weapons they consider "super-guns", generally ones they've seen in some FPS their mom shouldn't have let them play like Battlefield or CoD. They acquire those weapons by "trading", they can't craft them themselves. They are fed by youtubers who should know better having "giveaways", to increase followers/subscribers. And because they fill up their inventories with guns that someone else crafted, they won't have the materials to craft their own weapons, or craft traps, which are necessary.

Also, STW has a LOT of RPG-ish elements, and these BRats don't understand that. They all want plvl130 weapons even if they're in Stonewood (the first zone), they don't understand that weapons are capped depending on hero level and zone and that they're wasting those high powered weapons. But they say they need those because without them they can't kill husks...which is because they don't understand the FORT stats, survivor squads, research points and whatnot. If they understood the game mechanics they could single shot basic enemies with a plvl34 weapon in stonewood.

About the only llamas I'm interested in are the super people llamas which often have mythic lead survivors. I still have one squad without a Mythic lead. Otherwise I'm fairly well equipped and don't need much. I can fill out my needs with event llamas (Purchased with event tickets and not vbucks), and the STW item store where you can pick up schematics/heroes/upgrade materials with the gold you get for completing any mission. I have bought vbucks a couple of times to pick up some cosmetics. Some BR cosmetics can be used in STW now.(emotes and pickaxes). I am an Ultimate Edition Founder though, so I started out with some stuff.
This is exactly why i hate current gaming... Theres no depth anymore... you don't have to think. Everything is catered to them. instant gratification... no hard work. no strategy... Just push the buttons... ..everyones OP everyone a hero... they learned just enough to keep sucking and not questioning why they do it.