Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

danielravennest

SLU Posts
How can we get the rest of them - including Dump - to drop out? Then, we can hopefully start again with fresh candidates....
That's not how it works. That's not how any of this (politics) works.

This is basically a game of "Survivor", and we get to vote people off the island. The voting is with dollars in the early stage (which is why Harris dropped out), and with actual votes in the later stage.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Meanwhile, here in Georgia, the governor just appointed the wife of the CEO of the NY Stock Exchange to replace a US senator who's retiring for health reasons. Yah, sure, she's the best qualified for the job.
Is that his choice or the Twitler-Gaetz choice? Not that it matters that much, except to show dissension in the ranks [and I'd love for my congresscritter to get a bloody nose, even if only metaphorically].

Zaida Gearbox

That's not how it works. That's not how any of this (politics) works.

This is basically a game of "Survivor", and we get to vote people off the island. The voting is with dollars in the early stage (which is why Harris dropped out), and with actual votes in the later stage.
I know how it works - that doesn't mean I have to like it. Plus remember kiddies - Obama's campaign originally gained traction with lots and lots of small donations.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Obama's campaign originally gained traction with lots and lots of small donations.
:qft:
And the same for Sanders his first time around.

I'm as cynical as the next guy on this forum, but I don't buy the argument that money alone can make a campaign successful. It can only help if you've got appeal to build on.

I'm sure more money would have helped Harris persist longer on the campaign trail, but I didn't see any sign that she was gaining traction. Gobs of money wasn't going to change that; just ask Jeb Bush how much money you can spend without getting anywhere. I would have voted for Harris if she'd somehow won the nomination, but there was something missing from her campaign that had nothing to do with finances.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
She probably got out because staying in and losing her own home state would have hurt her re-election chances later on. She wasn't on track to win California and the deadline to appear on the ballot is looming. Money is part of it, and all the big money seems to have fled to Buttigieg. Her grassroots support was minimal. The campaign didn't have the legs to go the distance.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Is that his choice or the Twitler-Gaetz choice? Not that it matters that much, except to show dissension in the ranks [and I'd love for my congresscritter to get a bloody nose, even if only metaphorically].
She was *not* Trump's choice. He wanted one of the current Republican House representatives from GA to take the seat, I think one of the very conservative ones. Governor Kemp won his seat by 2 points. He knows to win in Georgia these days you need to appeal to more than the far right. Ms Loeffler is a relative unknown politically, although she owns the local women's basketball team. Her husband is a semi-billionaire and CEO of the New York Stock Exchange.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
She was *not* Trump's choice. He wanted one of the current Republican House representatives from GA to take the seat, I think one of the very conservative ones. Governor Kemp won his seat by 2 points. He knows to win in Georgia these days you need to appeal to more than the far right. Ms Loeffler is a relative unknown politically, although she owns the local women's basketball team. Her husband is a semi-billionaire and CEO of the New York Stock Exchange.
I knew Kemp was bucking the wishes of der gropenfrurer, but wasn't sure if dipshit gaetz had managed to sway him. Makes me glad that he didn't, even if I still think he stole the election.

Then again, my governor likely stole his seat too, and he's been rebelling against the orange one lately too.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Bea McMahon

Sister Jazz
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I was sorry to see Senator Harris go. I appreciated the fact that she was running a very issue focused campaign, even if I didn't agree with her on a lot of those issues. She contributed more than Bloomberg ever will.