Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Has Died

Tove

This is so badly timed. Not that I blame someone for dying from cancer, but if she could have held out less then six months more... I am sorry, the prospect that faces us with that asshole being allowed to appoint a THIRD judge to the Supreme Court, just leaves me in despair. There's no law that will prevent this and Mitch will not block Trump doing it like he did with Obama. Even with Trump and a lot of the seated GOP Senators replaced, this will affect our government and America for maybe decades more.

Monica Dream

Jesus -he knows me ...and he knows I'm right!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Myradyl Muse

Mermaid Myradyl Muse
SL Rez
So immensely sad, heartfelt condolences to her loved ones.
I appreciate and share the fears of many. Her loss is so devastating.
We can only hope and embrace positive energy as a collective that Mitch and his cronies will not be able to pull off last minute shenanigans.

Monica Dream

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
We can only hope and embrace positive energy as a collective that Mitch and his cronies will not be able to pull off last minute shenanigans.
Fuck "positive energy".
This crew has demonstrated how corrupt they are repeatedly over the years; don't you remember them blocking Obama's Nominee? They've been planning for this day for years.

We. Are. Absolutely. Fucked.

Myradyl Muse

Mermaid Myradyl Muse
SL Rez
Fuck "positive energy".
This crew has demonstrated how corrupt they are repeatedly over the years; don't you remember them blocking Obama's Nominee? They've been planning for this day for years.

We. Are. Absolutely. Fucked.
Yes, I very well remember them blocking his nominee. I wasn't being Pollyanna here, but merely hoping for a positive direction despite the dark clouds.

Monica Dream

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
Yes, I very well remember them blocking his nominee. I wasn't being Pollyanna here, but merely hoping for a positive direction despite the dark clouds.
The very best outcome that could be hoped for here is that we "merely" have a civil war to worry about if Biden wins by an uncontestable landslide.

Russian Media Is Rooting for Civil War in America: ‘The Worse, the Better’

America Could Be in the Early Stages of Armed Insurgency

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/america-political-violence-risk/2020/09/11/be924628-f388-11ea-999c-67ff7bf6a9d2_story.html

There's no calvary charging over the hill, there's no good outcomes.

This is the Assassination of Archduke Ferdinand style flashpoint, this is our Night of the Long Knives, this is a point we're not going to come back from.

Last edited:
  • 1Hug
Reactions: Shiloh Lyric

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
Bah. I just accidentally deleted everything.

Right, so, boiled down: I keep seeing Twitter make comments about 'this Republican Senator has said they won't vote to confirm', but I've seen no news stories saying that after Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died. One said it today, but earlier.

ETA: oh, and I worded it that way because they keep naming different Republican Senators.
ETA2: by news stories, I meant both news stories, and an actual tweet or something from one of the Senators saying something like what was being conveyed.

Last edited:

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
:qft:
It's over, their hold on power is now secured.

We are permanently fucked.
The U.S.A. as a democracy -or even as a first-world nation- is done.

Amen
We can expand the court to eleven. And appoint 100 more other judges.

It’s what they have pushed us too.

Monica Dream

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts

In this climate do you really believe that it's remotely possible to get 1, much less 2 judges on the supreme court?

That's assuming that they don't totally sandbag Biden to keep him out of office.

It's possible, but very improbable...

bubblesort

IIRC, that hasn't been attempted since Roosevelt, and it didn't work out for him. He had to wait for justices to retire to get what he wanted.

We aren't going to get anything until we can win some elections, though, and I don't see that happening until we tell the donors to fuck off.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Cristalle

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
This is so badly timed. Not that I blame someone for dying from cancer...
Back when Obama was in office, and the Dems held the Senate, there was talk of replacing her while we still could, and she absolutely threw that back in their faces like she thought she was going to live forever. I suspect this won't be a popular opinion, but I frankly do blame her a bit. ...but only a bit..