Julian Assange's 10th year in prison.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Also, if you're gonna accuse me of Soviet-style propagandizing, I'd prefer you just called me a commie and be done with it.
Come over to the Commie side, we have equally distributed cookies.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Apparently, really old cookies as well.
Shipping times from Russia were never good, and now we have global logistics problems on top of that.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Evernote link

I would imagine Assange will appeal to our Supreme Court, since it seems to me the ECHR gives him several grounds for appeal, considerably broader and more important (though obviously not to him and his family) grounds than simply the conditions of his detention in the US, so it's not yet over.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
If you were to do something similar to MI5 or 6, no matter how justified you might think you were, would it not occur to you beforehand that you might find yourself facing charges under the Official Secrets Act, and would you not weigh up that risk in deciding whether or not to proceed?

While I hope he isn't extradited, because the implications for real journalists would be alarming if he is, I find it difficult to feel much sympathy for someone who is so clearly the author of his own misfortunes because he seems to have been under the impression that the laws -- just or unjust -- that apply to the rest of us simply don't apply to Julian Assange, and now he and his supporters are horrified to discover they do.

In some important respects, Assange reminds me very much of both Boris Johnson and Prince Andrew.

Arkady Arkright

If you were to do something similar to MI5 or 6, no matter how justified you might think you were, would it not occur to you beforehand that you might find yourself facing charges under the Official Secrets Act, and would you not weigh up that risk in deciding whether or not to proceed?
So it's OK to sweep everything he published under the carpet, as it might piss-off MI5 etc. ?

• 1Eye Roll
Reactions: Spirits Rising

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
So it's OK to sweep everything he published under the carpet, as it might piss-off MI5 etc. ?
No, that's not what I said.

What I said is that, if you do something that's very clearly illegal, it's very likely you'll find yourself in court, and it's disingenuous to complain when that happens.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
What I said is that, if you do something that's very clearly illegal, it's very likely you'll find yourself in court, and it's disingenuous to complain when that happens.
So, no more trumping.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Sid and Innula Zenovka

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Remind me not to believe it when the USA claims it won't try to extradite me.
Given the close relationship between US and UK, why would it be necessary to go through a third country?

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
What 'close relationship' - that term implies some form of balance of power, which is clearly not the case. The term you are looking for is 'client state'.
Wasn't the theory that the US were trying to have Assange extradited to Sweden on a trumped up rape charge because it would be easier for them to extradite him from there than from the UK, though?

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
What 'close relationship' - that term implies some form of balance of power, which is clearly not the case. The term you are looking for is 'client state'.
Thank you for making my point.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
While I hope he isn't extradited, because the implications for real journalists would be alarming if he is, I find it difficult to feel much sympathy for someone who is so clearly the author of his own misfortunes because he seems to have been under the impression that the laws -- just or unjust -- that apply to the rest of us simply don't apply to Julian Assange, and now he and his supporters are horrified to discover they do.
As always when it comes to Assange you're blind as ever: the implications for real journalists are already there, the courts really don't matter any longer about that because what makes it count is the long period Assange was in the Embassy of Ecuador, and is held in legal limbo.

And the message is crystal clear: don't piss off the USA, or you're screwed and they'll get you and skin you alive. It really doesn't matter any longer if he'll go to the USA or not, that point has been made.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
As always when it comes to Assange you're blind as ever: the implications for real journalists are already there, the courts really don't matter any longer about that because what makes it count is the long period Assange was in the Embassy of Ecuador, and is held in legal limbo.

And the message is crystal clear: don't piss off the USA, or you're screwed and they'll get you and skin you alive. It really doesn't matter any longer if he'll go to the USA or not, that point has been made.
Assange chose to stay in the Embassy. No one made him.

Defendants in the UK surrender their bail every day, knowing that there's a good chance, if convicted, they'll sent to custody for rape and sexual assault, or even intending to plead guilty and knowing that's the outcome. What makes Assange special?

What do German courts do when someone jumps bail?

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: Tirellia and Govi

Arkady Arkright

Defendants in the UK surrender their bail every day, knowing that there's a good chance, if convicted, they'll sent to custody for rape and sexual assault, or even intending to plead guilty and knowing that's the outcome. What makes Assange special?
Fear for his life, if he was pinned down somewhere the americans could get to him.