Julian Assange's 10th year in prison.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
He was only cautious about the Russians. Had no problem stopping the redaction of personal information like medical records including gay men in Saudi Arabia, home addresses of every civil servant in Turkey, and credit card numbers in the Democratic party dump.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Evernote link

While Patel has given a green light, an expected cross-appeal by Assange’s legal team would restart the clock on a renewed legal battle in the courts.

It is likely to focus on grounds such as the right to freedom of expression and whether the extradition request is politically motivated. Patel had been considering whether the US extradition request met remaining legal tests, including a promise not to execute him.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Tirellia

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts

Evernote link
I dunno - we can't even try our traitors [the foot soldiers aren't the real ones - when we get around to trying the leaders.... well... ], much less get around to execution - and well, I doubt the Dems would execute anyone because well, we're not 'pro-lifers'

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I dunno - we can't even try our traitors [the foot soldiers aren't the real ones - when we get around to trying the leaders.... well... ], much less get around to execution - and well, I doubt the Dems would execute anyone because well, we're not 'pro-lifers'
It's a bar to extradition, (under our Human Rights Act and under the European Convention on Human Rights) to extradite someone to somewhere on charges that potentially carry the death penalty without guarantees that the prosecution won't seek the death penalty on conviction. That's been the case for over 30 years -- nowhere in Europe will extradite to the US on murder charges without similar guarantees.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
For what it's worth, nearly all of our death row inmates eventually die of old age.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
It's a bar to extradition, (under our Human Rights Act and under the European Convention on Human Rights) to extradite someone to somewhere on charges that potentially carry the death penalty without guarantees that the prosecution won't seek the death penalty on conviction. That's been the case for over 30 years -- nowhere in Europe will extradite to the US on murder charges without similar guarantees.
Oh, no, I agree - I am not a fan of the death penalty either. But I'm just saying that as long as the Dems keep control he's safe enough being tried over here.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
With the new majority at the Supreme Court being so bebothered by "efficiency" and in some cases not giving a damn about justice regardless of prior exculpatory evidence, I wouldn't even trust a guarantee of not seeking execution, given how the Republicans are acting nowadays.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Oh, no, I agree - I am not a fan of the death penalty either. But I'm just saying that as long as the Dems keep control he's safe enough being tried over here.
Yes, I understand that.

But no matter who is in power in the US, no country which is part of the European Convention on Human Rights can, as a matter of law, extradite a suspect to any country potentially capital charges without firm guarantees from the requesting country that the death penalty will neither be sought nor carried out.

British courts cannot agree to an extradition request if it would place the defendant at even the theoretical risk of execution or torture.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Yes, I understand that.

But no matter who is in power in the US, no country which is part of the European Convention on Human Rights can, as a matter of law, extradite a suspect to any country potentially capital charges without firm guarantees from the requesting country that the death penalty will neither be sought nor carried out.

British courts cannot agree to an extradition request if it would place the defendant at even the theoretical risk of execution or torture.
I had quite thought that they would not extradite even with the death penalty off the table as the U.S. solitary confinement system alone could be seen as "cruel and unusual punishment." He would be fortunate if he were to even be out of his cell for one hour per day, perhaps not even that. As a high profile inmate, he will surely be put in protective custody, at least initially, and likely for quite some time after should he be found guilty.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I had quite thought that they would not extradite even with the death penalty off the table as the U.S. solitary confinement system alone could be seen as "cruel and unusual punishment." He would be fortunate if he were to even be out of his cell for one hour per day, perhaps not even that.
That was raised, and was part of the reason the US application was initially refused. However, as part of its appeal against this,
The USA has now provided the United Kingdom with a package of assurances which are responsive to the judge’s specific findings in this case. In particular, the US has provided assurances that Mr Assange will not be subject to SAMs [Special Administrative Measures] or imprisoned at ADX [Administrative Maximum Security prison] (unless he were to do something subsequent to the offering of these assurances that meets the tests for the imposition of SAMs or designation to ADX). The USA has also provided an assurance that they will consent to Mr Assange being transferred to Australia to serve any custodial sentence imposed on him if he is convicted.
https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/USA-v-Assange-judgment101221.pdf para 22, and para 45 and following.

The Court of Appeal was satisfied by the various assurances it received, which was one reason the appeal was allowed.