The extract is from

published next week.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The independent review, conducted by law firm Dechert LLP, found Black was not involved in any way with Epstein’s criminal activities. Black paid Epstein $158 million for advice on tax and estate planning and related services between 2012 and 2017, according to the review.

Black, 69, said that although the review confirmed he did not engage in any wrongdoing, he “deeply” regretted his involvement with Epstein.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Ugh, I don't like that. Dude has to give up his life because a guy he paid for tax advice turned out to be a sexual predator? That's dumb.

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
A Boomer retiring before Gen X hits retirement age? Cool!

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Ugh, I don't like that. Dude has to give up his life because a guy he paid for tax advice turned out to be a sexual predator? That's dumb.
Poor guy is left with only billions of dollars. How will he get by?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
According to the article, it was 5% of the after-tax savings based on the advice.

One of the reasons Epstien got away with it for so long was because he really could make people money.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
What was the tax advice; hide your money offshore? I'd be curious if he ever was found to be part of the Panama Papers investigation.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

danielravennest

SLU Posts
That's a huge amount to pay for financial advice. There is the possibility he was being blackmailed by Epstein & Co.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
For that matter, he might have been 'cleared' on the condition he step down.

• 1Winner
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
That's a huge amount to pay for financial advice. There is the possibility he was being blackmailed by Epstein & Co.
According to the article, it was 5% of the after-tax savings based on the advice.

One of the reasons Epstien got away with it for so long was because he really could make people money.

We're not talking like asking a friend for an opinion; ostensibly, tax and estate planning was Epstein's legitimate enterprise so people would've been paying him pro rates for that kind of work.

But this is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about, where it seems like now it's fair game to "speculate" that anyone who ever had lunch with Jeffrey Epstein must've known about or been involved in or was being blackmailed by his prostitution racket.

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
But this is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about, where it seems like now it's fair game to "speculate" that anyone who ever had lunch with Jeffrey Epstein must've known about or been involved in or was being blackmailed by his prostitution racket.
That would depend on whether his 2008 case was public knowledge.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
From the report:

Epstein won Black’s trust by resolving an estate tax issue for him in 2012 potentially worth at least $500 million, the report said. He ended up advising Black on various aspects of his personal financial affairs, from his family office and airplane to his yacht and artwork.

Black believed that Epstein provided advice over the years that conferred between $1 billion and $2 billion in value to him, according to the Dechert report. Black said in his note to investors that he had paid Epstein a fee equivalent to 5% of the value he generated on an after-tax basis, and not tied to hourly rates.

Black and Epstein’s relationship deteriorated after Epstein failed to repay $20 million of the loans and Black refused to pay tens of millions of dollars in fees that Epstein demanded, according to the Dechert report.

They severed ties in October 2018, according to the report. Black knew Epstein had been convicted in Florida a decade earlier for soliciting prostitution from a minor, the Dechert report said, but there was no evidence suggesting Black had knowledge of the other alleged crimes before they were publicly reported in late 2018, culminating in Epstein’s July 2019 arrest.
Yet again, whether or not Black's a pedophile or attended Epstein's parties is neither here nor there. This report that supposedly exonerates him admits that
Black knew Epstein had been convicted in Florida a decade earlier for soliciting prostitution from a minor, the Dechert report said,
but clearly he didn't see this as any sort of reason not to form a close, lasting, and mutually profitable business relationship in which he trusted Epstein to manage huge sums for him.

HIs sexual exploitation of minors doesn't seem to have mattered, which is what I find so shocking -- all these rich and powerful people knew what was going on, but still attended his parties and invited him to their charity dos, and did business with him to their vast mutual benefit, and no one cared about the girls.

Epstein's proclivities were, after all, hardly unknown before 2008 -- as the Washington Post tells us,
“I’ve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy,” Trump told New York Magazine [in 2002] for a story headlined “Jeffrey Epstein: International Moneyman of Mystery.” “He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it — Jeffrey enjoys his social life.”
They all knew, but no one thought it mattered.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Evernote link because paywall

The conditions in which she's being held -- on remand, not yet having been convicted of anything -- sound oppressive and vindictive in the extreme.

It's what you're used to, I suppose. I'm horrified and ashamed at the state of British prisons, and the conditions in which vulnerable inmates are held, but the sort of treatment described in the article would be completely illegal here.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts

Evernote link because paywall

The conditions in which she's being held -- on remand, not yet having been convicted of anything -- sound oppressive and vindictive in the extreme.

It's what you're used to, I suppose. I'm horrified and ashamed at the state of British prisons, and the conditions in which vulnerable inmates are held, but the sort of treatment described in the article would be completely illegal here.
Just realize that, even being used to it, doesn't mean thinking its right or proper... its appalling.