#JAILTOTHECHIEF- Shit Just Got Real

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I know what the OED's policy is, which is why I was surprised by:

The links to every one of those snippets read "The OED is the definitive record of the English Language..."

I think that whoever wrote that wasn't thinking about the implications of the word "definitive".
I believe it to be a question of interpretation: it is a record of the English language, and the best of any other dictionary in accomplishing this task, which makes it a definitive historical record, but does not define the language. It is merely the best at describing current usage and it's place in the historical record, like a navigation map describes a body of water.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Nah. Planet & season of birth is pretty weak influence on identity.

But spending one's impressionable years in a depression or world war shapes a mind differently than growing up during the sexual revolution, or the cold war that followed it.

The covid-19 milestone will be pretty divisive too. Those of us that were already grown-up will revert back to our usual ways after it runs its course. But those maturing during this pandemic are having a pretty radically different experience than those that came before or after. It'll shape who they are for life in ways the rest of us will have difficulty relating to. :}
Big events like the Great Depression or WWII, yeah. But without those, just bring born in a particular time span is pretty weak, too, IMHO. Especially a wide one like the baby boom; almost 20 years. I think it's a stretch to say people born just after WWII and people born in the 60s are the same. Even the 40s to the 50s are different eras.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
The covid-19 milestone will be pretty divisive too. Those of us that were already grown-up will revert back to our usual ways after it runs its course. But those maturing during this pandemic are having a pretty radically different experience than those that came before or after. It'll shape who they are for life in ways the rest of us will have difficulty relating to. :}
Coronials!

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Nah. Planet & season of birth is pretty weak influence on identity.

But spending one's impressionable years in a depression or world war shapes a mind differently than growing up during the sexual revolution, or the cold war that followed it.

I think the most recent significant generational break comes with people born much after the mid-1980s.

Much later than that and you've grown up with the internet and smartphones, and most people missed out on getting established in a career and buying a home before the 2008 crash and now Covid-19.

For me the 2008 crash and austerity were things I read about but didn't affect me, since I had plenty of work and owned my own home, and now I'm semi-retired and not wanting any more relationships, but if I were 40 years younger it would be a very different story.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
I had just seen this and come here to post it, when I read your piece above -- the other side of the coin:

Here is the by the way the official statement of deputy press officer Sarah Matthes to the report of CNN:

President Trump is a world class negotiator who has consistently furthered America's interests on the world stage. From negotiating the phase one China deal and the USMCA to NATO allies contributing more and defeating ISIS, President Trump has shown his ability to advance America's strategic interests.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Good thing WW3 or something didn't break out while he was on the links. Just a small problem this time...
I would hope the Secret Service is still protecting him on the golf course, otherwise it makes him an easy target. I assume they carry phones or radio devices in case any kind of emergency comes up. Fixing a tweet doesn't rise to that level.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Hmm, some romours the orange turd may drop out.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I know what the OED's policy is, which is why I was surprised by:

The links to every one of those snippets read "The OED is the definitive record of the English Language..."

I think that whoever wrote that wasn't thinking about the implications of the word "definitive".
I took it as meaning that it's a definitive record of words that were, or had at some point in history been, in regular use in English at the point of publication -- that is, if you find a word in a document or printed source made before that edition's last update, you should also be able to find it in the OED, with some examples from actual sources.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Are you sure? I mean, the Russians conducted an aweful lot of ESP experiments in the 60's and 70's, and Putin looks rather ... shall we say, hypnotic. The way he looks at people, it's like he's pricing cuts of meat.

Last edited:

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
It's my understanding that the Greatest Generation were cohorts of my mother and father and older. That puts the youngest of the group currently at about 98 or 99 diminishing the impact of this ad.

In the US COVID impacts baby boomers the most.
I'm a baby boomer and you're dismissing my deep emotional attachment to the actions of my father's generation. All my relatives who fought in WWII are gone now, but the last of them only died within the last few years. This might seem like ancient history to you, but even though I was born after the war, it still feels like a part of my personal history.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Trump is probably awed by Putin's superior ability to mentally
I'm a baby boomer and you're dismissing my deep emotional attachment to the actions of my father's generation. All my relatives who fought in WWII are gone now, but the last of them only died within the last few years. This might seem like ancient history to you, but even though I was born after the war, it still feels like a part of my personal history.
I'm a late boomer/early gen X'er. My birth father trained on Shermans and stood a strong chance of being killed if the war had went on just a little while longer. My step father served in the Aleutian Islands, the Herzberg forest - only 2nd Ardennes (battle of the bulge) was a bigger meatgrinder, and was at Dacheau shortly after it had been liberated. Most of my male teachers growing up had served, and many of my neighbors as well, as I grew up in a newly post war suburb which went from cow pastures and truck farms to a metro suburb practically overnight. There is a monument not 3 miles from where I grew up to one of the men who raised the flag on Okinowa.

That generation is not so distant from me either, and is personally relevant.

Last edited:

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I am more loving the fact that he's really talking: "very, very large - ah - brain!"
What is frustrating is often experts is something will readily say they do not know something about another field (unless they do of course). When I was studying physics I did not pretend to know more about biology than any other college educated lay person.

Status
Not open for further replies.