Status
Not open for further replies.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Hell, they call themselves deplorables. They're proud of being assholes.
So let me get this straight, then...Ms McEnemy is saying that her boss tweeted it that video to stand with his demonized supporters. Who are demonized for being Nazis. So if they're admitting he stands with Nazis, why pretend he didn't hear the guy yelling "white power" ?
It wasn't even very far into the video and very clear. The man stated it twice and then a protester repeated it. No lie is too big for Trump and company and he DOES still want his nazi supporters to understand that he is with them.

It's funny how he never "accidentally" tweets a video of someone shouting, "Black lives matter" and declaring that he stands with them.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
It wasn't even very far into the video and very clear. The man stated it twice and then a protester repeated it. No lie is too big for Trump and company and he DOES still want his nazi supporters to understand that he is with them.

It's funny how he never "accidentally" tweets a video of someone shouting, "Black lives matter" and declaring that he stands with them.
They're now claiming he had the sound off 😂.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
They're now claiming he had the sound off 😂.
Who in its office building is going to voice a complaint about its phone making noise?

Sovereignty

SL Rez
Started with the Lost Generation, which was the generation that fought WWI, actually - someone went back and named generations before that, but Lost is, according to search, the first one to be named, in a Gertrude Stein book....
I never thought of "You are all a lost generation." as referring to a generation of people living in the US. I always thought Stein applied it to the idealistic types that self-exiled to France.

Never heard of the silent generation before today. Nobody was talking about it in the fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties, or nineties that I know of. I accept it as a recent invention by person or persons unknown with an OCD-type compulsion to classify people.

As for the video and Trump's MAGA slogan, I just assumed it had nothing to do with history except the perceived browning of America. It is a racist slogan: America was great when it was more white. The video tries to tie MAGA to winning WWII. That's not the point of MAGA. I just don't see how the video pushes any buttons of Trump's base. The virus disproportionately kills people who are black. The MAGA's probably like that.

The video also makes a basic math error in assuming that a significant number of people from Brokaw's greatest generation are still alive. Most aren't. People can point at this video and say, "See? Fake news!" To me it's just a bad video.

I preferred the other videos that relied on Trump's own voice. "Here. See what an idiot we have?" Right now they need to publicize him going after ACA in the middle of a pandemic and the Russia bounty thing.

Sovereignty

SL Rez
The Baby Boom got its name immediately as it happened, when soldiers returned from WWII, and shortly thereafter the birth rate spiked. That was like 1946. Calling the people born from 1946-1964 "boomers" is recent, but they were called "the Baby Boom generation" for a long time, because of their impact on society. They required new housing, new schools, etc. from sheer numbers. Marketers started creating names for the other generations more recently, as in "we're aiming this product at the ____ generation".
The baby boom was not called a "generation" initially that I know of. You were born during the baby boom or you weren't. It was also defined more narrowly back when than now. I was born at the end of the boom proper. The shortage of housing materials was over long before the current end date of 1964 that Wikipedia gives.

All the generation talk sounds like something marketers would popularize. They try to tell the market who they are thereby stabilizing expectations and justifying capital expenditures for management.

Tom Brokaw sold a book and marketed it on nostalgia for the Great Depression and World War II. o_O

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Chaos Agent Forum Lord💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
In MAD mag they're known as the ME generation.

Kinda funny seeing as boomers tried to shift it off to millennials with dumbshit think pieces.

I mean it's obvious we're the DESTROYER gen seeing as we've apparently destroyed everything.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
The baby boom was not called a "generation" initially that I know of. You were born during the baby boom or you weren't. It was also defined more narrowly back when than now. I was born at the end of the boom proper. The shortage of housing materials was over long before the current end date of 1964 that Wikipedia gives.

All the generation talk sounds like something marketers would popularize. They try to tell the market who they are thereby stabilizing expectations and justifying capital expenditures for management.

Tom Brokaw sold a book and marketed it on nostalgia for the Great Depression and World War II. o_O
I hate that generation label stuff with a passion.
It's worse than the zodiac, bar instead of being lumped in with everyone who was born in the same month as you (and year, time of day, etc. if you get really into it) you're lumped in with people who were born years and years earlier. And when done of them become a meme or a joke, you get dragged along. F that noise.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Tirellia

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I never thought of "You are all a lost generation." as referring to a generation of people living in the US. I always thought Stein applied it to the idealistic types that self-exiled to France.

Never heard of the silent generation before today. Nobody was talking about it in the fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties, or nineties that I know of. I accept it as a recent invention by person or persons unknown with an OCD-type compulsion to classify people.

As for the video and Trump's MAGA slogan, I just assumed it had nothing to do with history except the perceived browning of America. It is a racist slogan: America was great when it was more white. The video tries to tie MAGA to winning WWII. That's not the point of MAGA. I just don't see how the video pushes any buttons of Trump's base. The virus disproportionately kills people who are black. The MAGA's probably like that.

The video also makes a basic math error in assuming that a significant number of people from Brokaw's greatest generation are still alive. Most aren't. People can point at this video and say, "See? Fake news!" To me it's just a bad video.

I preferred the other videos that relied on Trump's own voice. "Here. See what an idiot we have?" Right now they need to publicize him going after ACA in the middle of a pandemic and the Russia bounty thing.
For those of us that grew up in the 70s and 80s the silents (and later the boomers) were some of our parents. It was not that they did not have a name it is that generation names just were not as much a thing until at least the 80s.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
In MAD mag they're known as the ME generation.

Kinda funny seeing as boomers tried to shift it off to millennials with dumbshit think pieces.

I mean it's obvious we're the DESTROYER gen seeing as we've apparently destroyed everything.
Interesting, they tried to shift it to us (x) before that but it did not take.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
CNN has a long piece about how Trump makes phone calles, and leaves no prisoners! Already the first paragraph is amazing and worrysome, and only some of the many fun bits:

In hundreds of highly classified phone calls with foreign heads of state, President Donald Trump was so consistently unprepared for discussion of serious issues, so often outplayed in his conversations with powerful leaders like Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Erdogan, and so abusive to leaders of America's principal allies, that the calls helped convince some senior US officials -- including his former secretaries of state and defense, two national security advisers and his longest-serving chief of staff -- that the President himself posed a danger to the national security of the United States, according to White House and intelligence officials intimately familiar with the contents of the conversations.

If Erdogan calls, Trump always takes the call, even when on golf course and amazingly Erdogan always knows when Trump is ready to take a call:
By far the greatest number of Trump's telephone discussions with an individual head of state were with Erdogan, who sometimes phoned the White House at least twice a week and was put through directly to the President on standing orders from Trump, according to the sources. Meanwhile, the President regularly bullied and demeaned the leaders of America's principal allies, especially two women: telling Prime Minister Theresa May of the United Kingdom she was weak and lacked courage; and telling German Chancellor Angela Merkel that she was "stupid."

Trump incessantly boasted to his fellow heads of state, including Saudi Arabia's autocratic royal heir Mohammed bin Salman and North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un, about his own wealth, genius, "great" accomplishments as President, and the "idiocy" of his Oval Office predecessors, according to the sources.

Trump likes to bully all, but especially women like May or Merkel; Merkel then stayed calm and usually cites facts, while May was really initimadated by him:
In addition to Merkel and May, the sources said, Trump regularly bullied and disparaged other leaders of the western alliance during his phone conversations -- including French President Emmanuel Macron, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, and Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison -- in the same hostile and aggressive way he discussed the coronavirus with some of America's governors.

[...]

But his most vicious attacks, said the sources, were aimed at women heads of state. In conversations with both May and Merkel, the President demeaned and denigrated them in diatribes described as "near-sadistic" by one of the sources and confirmed by others. "Some of the things he said to Angela Merkel are just unbelievable: he called her 'stupid,' and accused her of being in the pocket of the Russians ... He's toughest [in the phone calls] with those he looks at as weaklings and weakest with the ones he ought to be tough with."

The calls "are so unusual," confirmed a German official, that special measures were taken in Berlin to ensure that their contents remained secret. The official described Trump's behavior with Merkel in the calls as "very aggressive" and said that the circle of German officials involved in monitoring Merkel's calls with Trump has shrunk: "It's just a small circle of people who are involved and the reason, the main reason, is that they are indeed problematic."

Not only Putin outplays trump, but also Erdogan:
In numerous calls with Putin that were described to CNN, Trump left top national security aides and his chiefs of staff flabbergasted, less because of specific concessions he made than because of his manner -- inordinately solicitous of Putin's admiration and seemingly seeking his approval -- while usually ignoring substantive policy expertise and important matters on the standing bilateral agenda, including human rights; and an arms control agreement, which never got dealt with in a way that advanced shared Russian and American goals that both Putin and Trump professed to favor, CNN's sources said.

Erdogan became so adept at knowing when to reach the President directly that some White House aides became convinced that Turkey's security services in Washington were using Trump's schedule and whereabouts to provide Erdogan with information about when the President would be available for a call.
On some occasions Erdogan reached him on the golf course and Trump would delay play while the two spoke at length.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
CNN has a long piece about how Trump makes phone calles, and leaves no prisoners! Already the first paragraph is amazing and worrysome, and only some of the many fun bits:

In hundreds of highly classified phone calls with foreign heads of state, President Donald Trump was so consistently unprepared for discussion of serious issues, so often outplayed in his conversations with powerful leaders like Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Erdogan, and so abusive to leaders of America's principal allies, that the calls helped convince some senior US officials -- including his former secretaries of state and defense, two national security advisers and his longest-serving chief of staff -- that the President himself posed a danger to the national security of the United States, according to White House and intelligence officials intimately familiar with the contents of the conversations.

If Erdogan calls, Trump always takes the call, even when on golf course and amazingly Erdogan always knows when Trump is ready to take a call:
By far the greatest number of Trump's telephone discussions with an individual head of state were with Erdogan, who sometimes phoned the White House at least twice a week and was put through directly to the President on standing orders from Trump, according to the sources. Meanwhile, the President regularly bullied and demeaned the leaders of America's principal allies, especially two women: telling Prime Minister Theresa May of the United Kingdom she was weak and lacked courage; and telling German Chancellor Angela Merkel that she was "stupid."

Trump incessantly boasted to his fellow heads of state, including Saudi Arabia's autocratic royal heir Mohammed bin Salman and North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un, about his own wealth, genius, "great" accomplishments as President, and the "idiocy" of his Oval Office predecessors, according to the sources.

Trump likes to bully all, but especially women like May or Merkel; Merkel then stayed calm and usually cites facts, while May was really initimadated by him:
In addition to Merkel and May, the sources said, Trump regularly bullied and disparaged other leaders of the western alliance during his phone conversations -- including French President Emmanuel Macron, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, and Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison -- in the same hostile and aggressive way he discussed the coronavirus with some of America's governors.

[...]

But his most vicious attacks, said the sources, were aimed at women heads of state. In conversations with both May and Merkel, the President demeaned and denigrated them in diatribes described as "near-sadistic" by one of the sources and confirmed by others. "Some of the things he said to Angela Merkel are just unbelievable: he called her 'stupid,' and accused her of being in the pocket of the Russians ... He's toughest [in the phone calls] with those he looks at as weaklings and weakest with the ones he ought to be tough with."

The calls "are so unusual," confirmed a German official, that special measures were taken in Berlin to ensure that their contents remained secret. The official described Trump's behavior with Merkel in the calls as "very aggressive" and said that the circle of German officials involved in monitoring Merkel's calls with Trump has shrunk: "It's just a small circle of people who are involved and the reason, the main reason, is that they are indeed problematic."

Not only Putin outplays trump, but also Erdogan:
In numerous calls with Putin that were described to CNN, Trump left top national security aides and his chiefs of staff flabbergasted, less because of specific concessions he made than because of his manner -- inordinately solicitous of Putin's admiration and seemingly seeking his approval -- while usually ignoring substantive policy expertise and important matters on the standing bilateral agenda, including human rights; and an arms control agreement, which never got dealt with in a way that advanced shared Russian and American goals that both Putin and Trump professed to favor, CNN's sources said.

Erdogan became so adept at knowing when to reach the President directly that some White House aides became convinced that Turkey's security services in Washington were using Trump's schedule and whereabouts to provide Erdogan with information about when the President would be available for a call.
On some occasions Erdogan reached him on the golf course and Trump would delay play while the two spoke at length.

I had just seen this and come here to post it, when I read your piece above -- the other side of the coin:

• 1Agree
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I don't know what the OED is doing claiming to be the "definitive" record of the English Language. They didn't used to claim they were "definitive", or had any authority over the meaning of words... the whole schtick was that they were the most complete documentation of the changing language. That was a deliberate contrast to the
Académie Française which did make that claim.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
NBC News reported on Monday night that White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany and Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law, and other top officials unsuccessfully tried to contact Trump for hours about the post.

However, the President reportedly could not be reached because he was out golfing and had not taken his phone with him.
Good thing WW3 or something didn't break out while he was on the links. Just a small problem this time...

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I don't know what the OED is doing claiming to be the "definitive" record of the English Language. They didn't used to claim they were "definitive", or had any authority over the meaning of words... the whole schtick was that they were the most complete documentation of the changing language. That was a deliberate contrast to the
Académie Française which did make that claim.
The OED has never claimed to be anything other than a descriptive historical dictionary, not a prescriptive one.

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) is widely regarded as the accepted authority on the English language. It is an unsurpassed guide to the meaning, history, and pronunciation of 600,000 words— past and present—from across the English-speaking world.

As a historical dictionary, the OED is very different from dictionaries of current English, in which the focus is on present-day meanings. You’ll still find present-day meanings in the OED, but you’ll also find the history of individual words, and of the language—traced through 3 million quotations, from classic literature and specialist periodicals to film scripts and cookery books.

The OED started life more than 150 years ago. Today, the dictionary is in the process of its first major revision. Updates revise and extend the OED at regular intervals, each time subtly adjusting our image of the English language.

That is, they aim to keep a record of when, and how, words entered general usage in the English language -- it's the opposite of what the Académie Française's doomed attempt to keep la langue française pure of foreign terms.

Thus, for example, the student can consult the OED to learn not only what franglais means but that the term had entered common English usage by the early 1960s:

It also records when terms like the clearly Urdu/Hindi malsala and chai entered the language (though I think chai must have been in common usage before 1919). It's even got ocker there.

Last edited:

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I know what the OED's policy is, which is why I was surprised by:

baby, n. and adj. : Oxford English Dictionary

The OED is the definitive record of the English language, featuring 600,000 words, 3 million quotations, and over 1,000 years of English.

www.oed.com
The links to every one of those snippets read "The OED is the definitive record of the English Language..."

I think that whoever wrote that wasn't thinking about the implications of the word "definitive".

Jopsy Pendragon

If you can't dazzle'm with dexterity...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I hate that generation label stuff with a passion.
It's worse than the zodiac,
Nah. Planet & season of birth is pretty weak influence on identity.

But spending one's impressionable years in a depression or world war shapes a mind differently than growing up during the sexual revolution, or the cold war that followed it.

The covid-19 milestone will be pretty divisive too. Those of us that were already grown-up will revert back to our usual ways after it runs its course. But those maturing during this pandemic are having a pretty radically different experience than those that came before or after. It'll shape who they are for life in ways the rest of us will have difficulty relating to. :}

Status
Not open for further replies.