#JAILTOTHECHIEF- Shit Just Got Real

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
SLU Posts
Much respect for Daniel Dale. He must have nerves of steel and a cast-iron stomach to go along with his integrity.

Given what they've let him get away with so far, I can hope that they'll be as sensible as that, but I'm not counting on it.
I don't really understand US Constitutional Law theory, but my (very imperfect) understanding is that judges approved by the Federalist Society shouldn't be happy with this kind of presidential power grab (since a future Democratic presidency might be tempted similarly to abuse emergency powers).

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
Sep 20, 2018
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
"Illegal criminals are flooding our nation"

Are there legal criminals? Oh, wait - they're living in the White House.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 19, 2018
Gulf Coast, USA
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Check the news or the Tweeters today... He must've read that, or the bozo who asked him the question and put the idea in his head did. He's going on TV tonight. #BoycottTrumpPrimeTime is the number one trend on Twitter.
Like a disturbing number of Trump's worst musings, the entire idea of "declaring an emergency" to make his wall happen was 100% the brainchild of press reporters who asked Trump about the possibility completely out of the blue, with no prompting whatsoever. Before a reporter asked that, he'd never suggested anything about declaring an emergency, nor had any White House sources suggested that it was internally being considered. I'd lay odds that Trump didn't even know the avenue existed, and would never have known, if not for the press volunteering the possibility to him in the form of a loaded question.

I've hinted at it already, but it's becoming increasingly obvious to me that Trump is actively, intentionally being trolled into making some of his most offensive, provocative, ignorant, and legally dubious statements and policy explorations not by the workings of his own feeble and depraved mind, or by his kids, or his advisors, or his political lackeys; but rather by media introducing concepts and possibilities to him in the form of pointed and loaded questions. And as I've said before, it's not just Fox News doing it, either.

Sep 21, 2018
SLU Posts
I'd lay odds that Trump didn't even know the avenue existed, and would never have known, if not for the press volunteering the possibility to him in the form of a loaded question..
Maybe they are trying to goad him into an impeachable offense. You can't build a wall without first acquiring the land to build it on. Much of the borderlands is privately owned. The government can take land by eminent domain, but it has to pay "just compensation" for it - this is in the Constitution. If the military or Border Patrol just rushes in and tosses landowners out, not only is it bad optics, but illegal.

On the other hand, maybe I'm crediting the media with more ability to scheme than they have. It could simply be a confederacy of dunces all around.

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 24, 2018
USA, upper left corner
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
Maybe they are trying to goad him into an impeachable offense. You can't build a wall without first acquiring the land to build it on. Much of the borderlands is privately owned. The government can take land by eminent domain, but it has to pay "just compensation" for it - this is in the Constitution. If the military or Border Patrol just rushes in and tosses landowners out, not only is it bad optics, but illegal.

On the other hand, maybe I'm crediting the media with more ability to scheme than they have. It could simply be a confederacy of dunces all around.
Having been The Media, I can assure you it is far less scheming and far more a confederacy of dunces driven by a ferocious need to file a fresh story TODAY. Whomever asked that question was just looking for an angle that hadn't already been worked to death in the previous 24 hour cycle. You really don't expect a sitting President to basically go, "Huh ..... good idea!" to a reporter's question. I mean -- when has it happened before?

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
Sep 20, 2018
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Must not have been too bad since the net still works.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
Sep 20, 2018
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009

That's the second time I'm aware of where Trump has said something that put the lie to his claim that we need the border wall.

Sep 19, 2018
Portland, OR
SL Rez
SLU Posts