Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Trump suggested dropping nuclear bombs into hurricanes to stop them from hitting the U.S.

Blinks...just...how do you even process this?

President Trump has suggested multiple times to senior Homeland Security and national security officials that they explore using nuclear bombs to stop hurricanes from hitting the United States, according to sources who have heard the president's private remarks and been briefed on a National Security Council memorandum that recorded those comments.

A different senior administration official, who has been briefed on the president's hurricane bombing suggestion, defended Trump's idea and said it was no cause for alarm. "His goal — to keep a catastrophic hurricane from hitting the mainland — is not bad," the official said. "His objective is not bad."

"What people near the president do is they say 'I love a president who asks questions like that, who’s willing to ask tough questions.' ... It takes strong people to respond to him in the right way when stuff like this comes up. For me, alarm bells weren't going off when I heard about it, but I did think somebody is going to use this to feed into 'the president is crazy' narrative."
Trump didn't invent this idea. The notion that detonating a nuclear bomb over the eye of a hurricane could be used to counteract convection currents dates to the Eisenhower era, when it was floated by a government scientist.

The idea keeps resurfacing in the public even though scientists agree it won't work. The myth has been so persistent that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the U.S. government agency that predicts changes in weather and the oceans, published an online fact sheet for the public under the heading "Tropical Cyclone Myths Page."

The page states: "Apart from the fact that this might not even alter the storm, this approach neglects the problem that the released radioactive fallout would fairly quickly move with the tradewinds to affect land areas and cause devastating environmental problems. Needless to say, this is not a good idea."

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

eku zhong

Zhonging along.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Mar 2009
SLU Posts
Still more fascism:

He should start with his own companies..and his daughter's companies .. and his wife's companies... get them out of china and back to the US... just saying

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Emmanuel Macron invited an unannounced surprise guest to a location next to Biarritz, to have some private talks with him. It was the foreign minister of Iran, Javad Zarif. Especially the White House didn't knew about it.

Trump was not amused and declined to comment - he didn't even tweeted aobut it.

Meanwhile Japan is going to buy some of the excess corn the American farmers are sitting on due to the fact that the Chinese don't want it any longer. My opinion is that even after the trade war China won't buy it any more.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
Emmanuel Macron invited an unannounced surprise guest to a location next to Biarritz, to have some private talks with him. It was the foreign minister of Iran, Javad Zarif. Especially the White House didn't knew about it.

Trump was not amused and declined to comment - he didn't even tweeted aobut it.

Meanwhile Japan is going to buy some of the excess corn the American farmers are sitting on due to the fact that the Chinese don't want it any longer. My opinion is that even after the trade war China won't buy it any more.

This is infuriating. Trump is reminding everyone who he works for.

There were reportedly lively discussions at Saturday night’s dinner of local Basque cuisine when European leaders including Mr Johnson pushed back at Mr Trump's suggestion that Russian president Vladimir Putin, who was suspended from the G7 after annexing Crimea in 2014, should be readmitted to the forum.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Well it kind of is hard to explain that you want to get Russia back on the same table, when you are so much against Nordstream II for example, quitting INF, openly supporting the Ukraine and always busy rearming your military against it (the real opponent of this though is China).

It seems like a contradiction - which it might not be, depending on the goals of that step.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
He hereby orders! Wow. This is what happens when someone never suffers for their behavior over a 70+ year time period.

Companies that do no business with China whatsoever are few and far between. I reckon that Walmart alone would have empty shelf after empty shelf were they to follow his orders, not to mention most computer/cell phone manufacture would come to a screeching halt. Note that I am not saying that is a good thing that we are so reliant upon their labor and goods, but we put ourselves there largely by large American companies choosing to use the cheaper labor of Chinese workers, most notably to have higher and higher profit margins. It has benefited consumers in the way of lower prices, but ultimately hurt them as once that door was opened jobs began to leave, as well.

The vast majority of money made from using China has been to the upper, say, 10%. Does he really believe they will give that up upon his command? The genie of American businesses seeking out cheap labor across the globe is out of the bottle and has been for at least 30 years give or take. If not China, then they will move to the next because what they seek is to exploit labor no matter where.

He's just pissed that they have enough power to stand up to him. He would prefer that countries he/they exploit have no power.
Somewhat technical explainer of his wide-reaching powers (clearly no one in 1979 thought about how "checks and balances" would work out with someone like Trump in the Oval Office and Mitch McConnell running the Senate):

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Somewhat technical explainer of his wide-reaching powers (clearly no one in 1979 thought about how "checks and balances" would work out with someone like Trump in the Oval Office and Mitch McConnell running the Senate):

Yes, I have read that, unfortunately, he can attempt to do this, but holy cow, does he have any idea how crippling this could be to this country? At this point, our economies are incredibly linked. He's not smart or interested in learning enogh to have read anything about these powers. I wonder who is whispering in his ear. I do know that Bannon considered China the biggest threat on the planet, but he's long gone.

Cindy Claveau

SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
The idea was examined during the Eisenhower administration and discarded for stupidity. I remember Trump reportedly saying (during a NSC briefing) that we ought to be able to use nukes because hey "what are they for?". I got the impression that he's never even seen the films from the nuke tests we did in the 50s and 60s, nor watched/read any analysis of Hiroshima or Nagasaki as far as the impact on civilians. Or if he did, his brain can't wrap around the idea of "other people".

Of all the monstrous gaps in Trump's knowledge, this one is the scariest of all. The man has NO idea what war does, much less what nuclear weapons can do to civilization. I'd be more sanguine if he ever actually read any of his briefings, but like other people I know he's happy in his ignorance. And proud of it.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
He should start with his own companies..and his daughter's companies .. and his wife's companies... get them out of china and back to the US... just saying
I am guessing he is not because he already controls them and knows it would be a stupid idea?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer
Status
Not open for further replies.