Status
Not open for further replies.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Grinning Trump gives thumbs-up with baby whose parents were shot dead in El Paso terror attack

Fuck's sake. He couldn't get any of the 8 adult patients still at the hospital to meet with him, so they had two-month old baby, Paul, who had both parents killed during the shooting, brought back to the hospital for the photo op and then smiles and gives a thumbs up and babbles on about a rally he held there (which he still hasn't paid the $500k bill for) and demeaning Beto O'Rourke's protest in El Paso.

Could a person get more devious, callous and just plain incapable of normal human emotion?

Link to story about parents and why the baby's uncle brought him back to the hospital. He and the father are/were Trump supporters and he wanted a human-to-human talk with him. I wonder if he got it.
The Couple Killed Saving Their Baby In El Paso Had Just Found A Future Together
You know, I've changed my mind about Trump. He's not an asshole.

He's a whole ass.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
So glad the REAL culprit has finally been identified for people getting bullets in them!
Yup. Today I learned that violent movies and video games don't exist in the rest of the world that doesn't have mass shooting problems. </s>

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Yup. Today I learned that violent movies and video games don't exist in the rest of the world that doesn't have mass shooting problems. </s>
Jim Sterling (videogame reviewer) had fun with it.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Leaked Draft of Trump Executive Order to 'Censor the Internet' Denounced as Dangerous, Unconstitutional Edict

Holy shit. Just imagine...The fascists in charge of the internet. Not a stretch that they would force companies like Google to overrepresent nazi/right wing speech and block liberal speech. This is in the fascist playbook.
According to CNN, which obtained a copy of the draft, the new rule "calls for the FCC to develop new regulations clarifying how and when the law protects social media websites when they decide to remove or suppress content on their platforms. Although still in its early stages and subject to change, the Trump administration's draft order also calls for the Federal Trade Commission to take those new policies into account when it investigates or files lawsuits against misbehaving companies."
Despite loud and continued claims from right-wing forces that platforms like Facebook and Twitter are biased against them, Public Knowledge's Lewis said the new White House proposal is yet another reason to push back against this unfounded mantra that Trump himself has helped proliferate.

"Political bias by digital platforms remains unproven. In fact, an independent study by The Economist points towards search platforms having a bias towards virality and attention, not political ideology," said Lewis. "This matches reports from books like Tim Wu's "The Attention Merchants" and others that study social media addiction. It is this sort of algorithmic bias towards virality that foreign adversaries use to sow disinformation and mistrust in our country."

Given how much power the proposed would place in the hands of the FCC and FTC, Lewis said it is crucial for the heads of those agencies—including FCC chair Ajit Pai, a former telecom industry lobbyist and Trump appointee—to come forward and make clear their commitment to First Amendment protections.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Leaked Draft of Trump Executive Order to 'Censor the Internet' Denounced as Dangerous, Unconstitutional Edict

Holy shit. Just imagine...The fascists in charge of the internet. Not a stretch that they would force companies like Google to overrepresent nazi/right wing speech and block liberal speech. This is in the fascist playbook.
Can he do this without Congress's approval?
I know there's a lot of bitching about Obama's EO to pass the ACA, but does Congress have to let every EO go through? If they did, 45 would've issued a lot more, wouldn't he?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

Grandma Bates

Only mostly banned....
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
Yes
SLU Posts
I know there's a lot of bitching about Obama's EO to pass the ACA, but does Congress have to let every EO go through? If they did, 45 would've issued a lot more, wouldn't he?
The article linked by Jolene Benoir says that the order requires the FTC and the FCC to provide guidance on how section 230 should be interpreted. The courts in the US have struggled with how section 230 should be applied in practice. They have mostly been doing a good job, but not a great job of it. Unfortunately, many cases have had to go through the appeals process to get sorted. In those cases overzealous lower courts with judges deciding that the principle "something ought to be done" decided that web companies who take on any kind of vetting on their sites are responsible for all content posted by outside users.

It is likely that judges would give any guidance from the FTC or the FCC considerable weight in trying to decide how to interpret the law. This could have a huge chilling effect about how website operators manage their sites. Many small to medium companies may simply decide that moderating their site is not worthwhile because they do not have the resources to fight a legal action when the weight of the government is against them. For a small site like VVO it becomes more likely that an operator cannot risk that exposure and simply not provide any moderation. If that happens a small site like this would be rendered useless.

It is not likely that it would impact companies like twitter or the google. There are a lot of small sites out there whose operators may be severely impacted. The irony is that if this does go through and Pres. Trump is not re-elected he may be giving a substantial cudgel to be used against sites like Breitbart or other smaller right wing sites. It is a little bit surprising that they are not muddying their collective pants over this.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

China only does a firewall? We change content!

I have been watching DefCon and Black Hat vids all weekend. I am guessing quite a few people there would have fun with whatever infrastructure donnie and his lackeys would get the lowest bidder to set up.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
A president can say anything they want in EOs and issue as many as they want but they have some key limitations, among the most famous:

They only apply to the executive branch. That is a large part of government but it is not everything. If donnie says the congressional research agency should do something they can tell him to pound sand.

EOs are not laws. If the next administration does not like them they end.

You can not break existing laws with EOs. For example, if congress passes a budget to say the DOD has a certain amount of money for a specific thing an EO can not override that. Well, a president can TRY but it would be an open and shut case.

nebula

NOPE
SL Rez
Joined SLU
China only does a firewall? We change content!

I have been watching DefCon and Black Hat vids all weekend. I am guessing quite a few people there would have fun with whatever infrastructure donnie and his lackeys would get the lowest bidder to set up.
^ this

Status
Not open for further replies.