#JAILTOTHECHIEF- Shit Just Got Real

Romana

SL Rez
The real scary part is, he's probably not wrong. It usually takes a few years for bad policy to crash an economy. Trump's successor will inherit Trump's mess.
Well, he's certainly wrong in that re-electing him will avert any sort of downturn (let alone a crash). He's probably thinking that he can get a second term out of it before disaster happens. Problem is, I've heard from acquaintances in the financial field that a correction is expected sooner rather than later, not as a result of any particular policy but the business cycle.
However, there is always a chance that 45 could make things worse, especially if he keeps dicking the market around.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Excellent thread by Adam Wagner, a top British human rights lawyer, and well worth following on Twitter if you're interested in UK politics and human rights, in which he explains a few things about Katie Hopkins of which non-Brits may be unaware

I think all most people need to know about Ms Hopkins is summed up in what has to be the best newspaper clarification and correction ever, issued not so long ago by the mass-circulation Daily Mirror, a Labour-supporting paper:

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Romana

SL Rez
Excellent thread by Adam Wagner, a top British human rights lawyer, and well worth following on Twitter if you're interested in UK politics and human rights, in which he explains a few things about Katie Hopkins of which non-Brits may be unaware

I think all most people need to know about Ms Hopkins is summed up in what has to be the best newspaper clarification and correction ever, issued not so long ago by the mass-circulation Daily Mirror, a Labour-supporting paper:

I'd already heard plenty about her from my British friends, and had her blocked on Twitter right along with 45.
They are birds of a feather: vultures.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

CNN and other outlets first reported the numbers -- which showed Trump lagging behind Joe Biden in states like Michigan and Wisconsin -- weeks ago, but a purge of the polling team was proposed after Trump grew angry about coverage of the numbers in recent days. Campaign officials were frustrated after the detailed numbers of four of the 17 states polled leaked to outlets like ABC last week.

A person familiar with the purge said the firings were less about the accuracy of the polling and more about mollifying the President.

Internal polling became a sensitive subject this week after Trump blew up at several campaign officials, telling them the numbers they had were incorrect and not an accurate reflection of how he's polling throughout the country, one person familiar with his reaction told CNN. He has become fixated on the numbers in recent days, asking for regular updates or newer polls.

"It's incorrect polling," Trump told Fox News in an interview Friday. "Yes, it's incorrect."

In turn, campaign officials have spent the last several days rebutting the numbers, claiming they were old or incomplete. However, when the numbers were first reported, the campaign downplayed them but did not deny them. One person lamented that the campaign has become more focused on containing the leak than the President's dismal numbers in key battleground states.
OMG, the Fake News is coming from inside the house!!!

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

I am guessing he has never looked up the crime stats for a US city? Before anyone gets political you will see the same trend no matter who is in charge.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
HuffPo's Ashley Feinberg, writing in Slate, noticed that, in a gesture that may seem to many to out of character Individual 1 recently "Liked" a post by Rihanna that wasn't praising him and contained no apparent alt-right content.

However, she thinks she has a horribly plausible explanation for all this.

Warning: her theory will rapidly have you reaching for the brain bleach: I Think I Know Why Trump Faved That Tweet About Rihanna

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Thanks, that is pretty much what I saw when looking at the DC stats. That it was trending down (which is not donnie, that is local police/government) but was still higher than London (not even adjusting for population).

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Romana

SL Rez
HuffPo's Ashley Feinberg, writing in Slate, noticed that, in a gesture that may seem to many to out of character Individual 1 recently "Liked" a post by Rihanna that wasn't praising him and contained no apparent alt-right content.

However, she thinks she has a horribly plausible explanation for all this.

Warning: her theory will rapidly have you reaching for the brain bleach: I Think I Know Why Trump Faved That Tweet About Rihanna
I guess it makes sense that 45 reads the trends, moments, and whoever he follows. but not the replies to his own tweets. If he read those he couldn't believe what he says here:

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I guess it makes sense that 45 reads the trends, moments, and whoever he follows. but not the replies to his own tweets. If he read those he couldn't believe what he says here:
He pretty much only sees (I almost said reads, whups) the replies his staff prints out for him. Which are of course the most extreme groveling sycophant stuff.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
This is where I'm going to make a fool of myself yet again by revealing gaping lacunae in my knowledge of the US political scene, but since I'm used to making a fool of myself by now, who cares?

Seems to me at this point in the electoral cycle, you've got the various potential Democratic candidates going round the country and making themselves and their policies known not only to people eligible to vote in the primaries but also to all potential voters in the November election.

This will continue, generating more and more coverage of the Democrats and their policies until July next year, and then the election campaign begins in earnest.

On the face of it, I would be really cautious about giving up the media coverage in order to attempt to impeach Individual 1, particularly since you know the senate probably wouldn't convict anyway.

Far better, I would have thought, to let Congress get on with investigating the multiple scandals surrounding Individual 1 and his courtiers, and introducing needed legislation and letting Mitch McConnell block it.

Meanwhile, a groundswell of public discontent and demands for his impeachment grows.

That's a pretty good way to go into the election, I would have thought -- as much coverage as possible for my side, and meanwhile spontaneous public discussion of whether he's fit for office, and wouldn't it be a good idea to get rid of him if it wasn't for that smug and unctuous prig he's got as his VP?

The alternative, going straight for impeachment, sucks all the oxygen out of the room as it dominates both politics and the news for the next however many months, and completely buries any discussion of why I should vote for the Democratic candidate in 2020, other than that she or he won't be Donald Trump?

I dunno. My impression of what went wrong for both the US Republicans and the British Conservatives during the latter part of the 1990s and the first few years of the millennium was that they assumed everyone hated Clinton/Blair as much as they did, and that was all they needed to win, and eventually it dawned on them that "we're not as bad as the other side, who are absolutely dreadful" is great for energising people who are inclined to support you anyway, but not enough to win the election.

That's what it felt like at the time.

It's also, come to think of it, exactly what's happening to the Conservative Party in my country right now -- the leadership election and the new PM's policy on Brexit are dominated entirely the need to court the vote of people who are already committed Conservatives, without any regard for what anyone else thinks.

Very risky, to my mind. Everyone knows who and what Trump is by now, so let's concentrate not on what a dreadful man he is but on what's wrong with his particular policies and why ours are so much better.

Does that make sense?

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I think you're argument makes some sense. I don't know if it wins, but it is logical.

I personally think Trump needs to be impeached, because that needs to be written into the pages of history whether the Senate chooses to convict or not. In point of fact, if McConnell chooses to block any progress after the House impeaches, that too will end up in the books right alongside the impeachment, and it needs to. I want children learning forty years from now that Trump was impeached for corruption but the Republican Senate majority leader refused to even allow a vote.

On the other hand, you're right. If impeachment hearings begin they will utterly dominate the news cycle. This will send Trump over the falls which is funny and a good thing; but as you say, it will also steal oxygen from the Dems' presidential primary. Not only that, but senators particularly will start having to make whether they would vote to convict a central question of their campaigns if the Senate stalls the impeachment vote; and to be perfectly honest, an impeachment CANNOT happen if Trump wins a second term because that would be seen as unquestionably an attempt to subvert the election.