It's Been A Month Since Launch

Cristiano

Full Frontal Nerdity
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
So it was a month ago that I made up my mind about what to do about SLU, and once I decided, I moved pretty quickly to get the new site up and running.

Fun fact - this site almost was not Xenforo based, but was originally going to be Vbulletin 5 to try to ease the transition since I was familiar with VB. I bought the license for VB5 with all the fancy add-ons, and it was the evening so I got put into some payment confirmation hold until the next day. I grew impatient and decided to look at Xenforo as an alternative since I was starting the new site from scratch anyway. After looking through the features and finding some nice looking themes for it, I ended up buying a Xenforo license and it was immediately available, so I went with that and cancelled my VB order. I'm glad I did - this new forum software is fantastic.

So in 30 days there have been 8500 posts and we're up to 450 users - not bad for starting over. Also, 3 billion reaction button clicks.

As you probably noticed, I like to recognize certain milestones, and truth be told, VVO is a pretty big one for me in the 15 year history of my running web sites. Well, longer than that if you count my Tori Amos and Nine Inch Nails fan pages I did in the late 90s. Anyway, it represents a break from a past that in some ways had ended up weighing me down a lot and was difficult to maintain, both on a technical and emotional level. It was always the people, not the site itself that made it all so special, so I'm glad so many of you have come along for the next phase. VVO is an evolution of the vision I've had from the beginning, and it's exciting to watch it grow into its own thing.

You haven't been shy so far with your feedback - but as the site continues to grow, I would like to keep making it the best it can be for the community here. Please continue to let me know what you like, dislike, and what you'd like to see added. I won't always pay attention to your twisted complaints about hug buttons, but I do listen.

Anyway, I'm rambling a bit because I've had one hell of a day today, so I'll shut up now. Thanks for being here. :flower:

Eva Ryan

Socially Unopposible
SL Rez
Joined SLU
6/6/2009
SLU Posts
I miss the old "Hostile Takeover of the OpenCollar Group" thread. I often refer to that one when asked about what happened to the group. "I've been gone for couple of years, what happened???? Did Wendy quit?"... that sort of thing. Before, I'd just reply with a link to the thread... and now.. *sigh* ... I have to explain it in a nutshell.

But, suffice it to say, this site is great. Granted, I don't post much... because, I don't have much to say.