iPad users, help!

Arilynn

I know zero about tech stuff and hate to read anything about it, which is a winning combination. ⭐ But the autocomplete/spell check function of my iPad is driving me crazy, so I’m hoping the kind techy people here can help and answer some questions.

1. Is it possible to erase all the misspellings it has learned and start over?
2. How do I get it to learn a specific word, including those with hyphens?
3. If I am misspelling a word in its middle and then delete my mistake, why does it fail to recognize my word and offer a suggestion? Instead, it acts like the misspelling is still there...or something like that.

With much appreciation from my clueless self. 💕

Last edited:

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Or.

Settings - General - Reset - Reset Dictionary

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Arilynn

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
A third option, get Gboard. It appears to have its own dictionary independent of the iPad's, and you get the additional benefit of searchable emojis and swipe-to-type which iPad only gives you with the floating keyboard which is tiny.

• 1Thanks

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Be aware with third party keyboards that when putting in a password it typically defaults to the native Apple keyboard. This is desired behaviour from a security standpoint.

An IT security guy I know protests the use of any third party keyboards, but still, I'll use GBoard for non secure stuff for the arrow keys and punctuation on the front screen.

• 1Thanks

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I don't know if it has gotten better, but the third party keyboards also perform noticeably slower and are buggier than the built in one.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
GBoard goes goofy on a regular basis.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Be aware with third party keyboards that when putting in a password it typically defaults to the native Apple keyboard. This is desired behaviour from a security standpoint.

An IT security guy I know protests the use of any third party keyboards, but still, I'll use GBoard for non secure stuff for the arrow keys and punctuation on the front screen.
Or just connect it to an external physical keyboard.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
One person years ago misspelled a username when creating it because of my accent. Now my macs think that is the correct spelling. Then my gmail learned a typo for my spouse's email address when she changed isps ... now every once in awhile I email her in a rush and it tries to email her with that address. Then on top of that some of my systems I was able to tell to use the correct uk spellings and others insist on us ones because it looks at the gps and realizes that is where it is, which is why my posts look like I can not spell. That is not even getting into when I intentionally change the capitalization on something and it gets automatically changed on me.

I hate autocorrect.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
One person years ago misspelled a username when creating it because of my accent. Now my macs think that is the correct spelling. Then my gmail learned a typo for my spouse's email address when she changed isps ... now every once in awhile I email her in a rush and it tries to email her with that address. Then on top of that some of my systems I was able to tell to use the correct uk spellings and others insist on us ones because it looks at the gps and realizes that is where it is, which is why my posts look like I can not spell. That is not even getting into when I intentionally change the capitalization on something and it gets automatically changed on me.

I hate autocorrect.
Have you tried adding the English (UK) keyboard on the iPad? You have to toggle with the globe icon, and it sometimes gives you the emojis when you just want to switch countries (got to look if that behaviour can be avoided) but it does work.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Have you tried adding the English (UK) keyboard on the iPad? You have to toggle with the globe icon, and it sometimes gives you the emojis when you just want to switch countries (got to look if that behaviour can be avoided) but it does work.
Thanks for the suggestion. The ipad seems relatively content with my telling it to use uk spellings though.