Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that, despite most of the hype in vaping centering around the claim that "it's just water", the fact is that it's not just water, it's a solution of water plus nicotine and various flavoring, scent, and coloring chemicals whose cumulative effect when coating airways and lung tissues over the long term was unknown when vaping took off. They could have any number of possible health effects.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Is vaping bad for you? There are many unknowns about vaping, including what chemicals make up the vapor and how they affect physical health over the long term. “People need to understand that e-cigarettes are potentially dangerous to your health,” says Blaha. “You’re exposing yourself to all kinds of chemicals that we don’t yet understand and that are probably not safe.”
- Michael Blaha, M.D., M.P.H., director of clinical research at the Johns Hopkins Ciccarone Center for the Prevention of Heart Disease

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Many patients reportedly vaped nicotine prior to their symptoms, but at least some vaped THC, the chemical responsible for the high in cannabis. And according to Sven-Eric Jordt, an anesthesiologist, pharmacologist, and cancer biologist at Duke University who has studied vaping, a THC product could very well be capable of causing the sort of lung damage seen in these cases.

“I was approached recently by a pediatric pulmonologist from California who is caring for a teenager who experienced severe lung burn injuries after vaping a THC oil,” he told Gizmodo in an email. “THC oils have highly variable compositions and many may be dangerous to use in e-cigarette devices, due to the presence of oils and solvents that can burn when heated. Some even may have alcohol in them that could combust.”
I'd either point to THC oil made with dubious solvents or contaminated ingredients from China. Even if a juice is "USA MADE" who knows where they sourced the ingredients from.

Not that I'm arguing that vaping is good for you, it's generally NOT Immediately Harmful like these cases.

Last edited:

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I was an occasional vaper, with flavored 0% nicotine juices, but I stopped because I was uneasy about inhaling the hot air. At the very least, I noticed that I was quickly dehydrated after vaping. Even without the chemicals, the heat alone has to irritate tissues. It's probably not as bad for you as smoking cigarettes, but since I wasn't even a smoker, I decided it just wasn't worth the risk.

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I was an occasional vaper, with flavored 0% nicotine juices, but I stopped because I was uneasy about inhaling the hot air. At the very least, I noticed that I was quickly dehydrated after vaping. Even without the chemicals, the heat alone has to irritate tissues. It's probably not as bad for you as smoking cigarettes, but since I wasn't even a smoker, I decided it just wasn't worth the risk.
Dehydration is from the propylene glycol (which is hygroscopic).

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Chaos Agent Forum Lord💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
As someone who vapes there also seems to be a lot of people who run their vapes way too hot.

And yeah those thc carts can be really sketchy.

Normal vapes consist of usually 4 things PG, VG, nicotine and flavoring where as the thc carts are processed ??????.

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Chaos Agent Forum Lord💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
Who woulda thought an unregulated industry would have problems with accidentally poisoning their users?
Oh come now, you know regulation doesn't stop the poisoning.

That beingsaiditshouldberegulatedtosomedegree.

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I pointed a finger at China being suspect because of their history with paint on toys, toothpaste, etc.

(Old news)

After initally guaranteeing the safety of the country's products, Chinese officials admitted Tuesday, after much international pressure, that "as a developing country, China's current food and drug safety situation is not very satisfactory." They had hoped to downplay the safety and health problems before the 2008 summer Olympics, to be held in Beijing.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I see vaping as harm reduction rather than harm removal, which is why I'm very against people vaping other than as a way to quit smoking. Because very little is worse for you than smoking.
Vaping at least doesn't have me trying to cough up my own lungs every morning.

And I don't smell like an ashtray.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Compared to smoking, I'd bet vaping does less harm, assuming your liquid isn't contaminated. I, however, have never been a smoker. I'm pretty sure it was Arilynn who gently, tactfully suggested that vaping wasn't necessarily something I should take up just for the heck of it. Although I wasn't quite willing to concede the point at the time, her concern stayed with me and it was part of the reason I slacked off, then stopped altogether.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Compared to smoking, I'd bet vaping does less harm, assuming your liquid isn't contaminated. I, however, have never been a smoker. I'm pretty sure it was Arilynn who gently, tactfully suggested that vaping wasn't necessarily something I should take up just for the heck of it. Although I wasn't quite willing to concede the point at the time, her concern stayed with me and it was part of the reason I slacked off, then stopped altogether.
I looked this up a while ago when I find out my nephew was vaping. It's less harmful relative to cigarettes but it's still addictive and it can cause the same respiratory illnesses. That last was the part that really alarms me, having seen first hand the effects. I don't want my nephew to go through, later in life, what my aunt did.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
I'd either point to THC oil made with dubious solvents or contaminated ingredients from China. Even if a juice is "USA MADE" who knows where they sourced the ingredients from.
I wanted to add to this that it is normal for synthetically produced organic chemicals such as THC to have incredibly toxic byproducts that have to be removed. Would anyone be surprised if some shady Chinese lab was cutting corners on this process?

I think with a lot of recreational habits, it's almost impossible for studies to accurately control for who's doing what responsibly. It's rare and very expensive to conduct a study where you lock people up and actually control their habits to save them from themselves. Most studies are extremely dependent on dubious, self reported data.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Marita

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I wanted to add to this that it is normal for synthetically produced organic chemicals such as THC to have incredibly toxic byproducts that have to be removed. Would anyone be surprised if some shady Chinese lab was cutting corners on this process?
In states where it's illegal, it wouldn't even have to be the Chinese. It has all the same risks as any other street drug -- shit whipped together on the stove in someone's kitchen.