Increased Cases Of Lung Disease From Vaping Remain A Mystery

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I wanted to add to this that it is normal for synthetically produced organic chemicals such as THC to have incredibly toxic byproducts that have to be removed. Would anyone be surprised if some shady Chinese lab was cutting corners on this process?
Heck there used to be problems with benzine in decaf coffee.

And I'm still bitter about the earlier smokeless cigarettes that were basically just a sponge soaked in nicotine getting banned because they were a drug delivery system, back when even nicotine patches were prescription only.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: GoblinCampFollower

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
This is a separate issue from the mysterious health problems, but I've decided to put it here rather than making another thread about vaping: Juul might become this generation's "Joe Camel" case

The Federal Trade Commission is investigating whether e-cigarette maker Juul used deceptive marketing and targeted minors, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday, citing people familiar with the investigation.

Regulators have criticized Juul for fueling a teen vaping “epidemic,” scrutinizing the company’s early advertising campaigns that used young models and bright colors. Critics say the images positioned Juul as a lifestyle brand and attracted young people.

The Food and Drug Administration is examining Juul’s role in seizures, Bloomberg reported Thursday. The agency announced an investigation into whether e-cigarettes can cause seizures earlier this year. The FDA has not publicly disclosed any products involved, though reports of people using Juul devices and experiencing seizures triggered the agency’s inspection, Bloomberg reported, citing documents obtained through a public records request.

The FDA launched its own investigation into the company’s marketing practices last year, marked by a “surprise inspection” last fall of Juul’s San Francisco headquarters in which investigators seized thousands of pages of documents.

A House subcommittee examined Juul’s role in the teen vaping epidemic last month. Lawsuits are popping up around the country accusing Juul of deceiving kids and hooking them on nicotine.
It is certainly the case that young people, sometimes -extremely- young people, are vaping; and this trend may have gotten legs due to a public perception of vaping being a "safe" alternative to smoking. I think vaping is certainly safer than smoking if you're a smoker; but unfortunately people, including kids, who were never smokers have taken to it as well, and kids shouldn't be dosing nicotine no matter what form it takes.

Last edited:

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
RE: My previous comments about dubious sources of THC:

Now, health officials are finally starting to publicly zero in on a leading suspect: unlicensed additives and contaminants, particularly those found in products containing THC.

Besides dubious methods used for extracting THC involving things you shouldn't be inhaling, there's also a problem of "knock-off" refill cartridges for the branded vape pens containing god-knows-what, including lead, likely because they don't use proper lead-free solder in assembling the coils to the wires.

Personally, I get my *nicotine-without-THC* juice from a reputable source and use a rebuildable tank that involves no solder at all, and have completely failed to be hospitalized because of it :p

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Lady Darnk Juniorette

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Fizzy!💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
RE: My previous comments about dubious sources of THC:

Besides dubious methods used for extracting THC involving things you shouldn't be inhaling, there's also a problem of "knock-off" refill cartridges for the branded vape pens containing god-knows-what, including lead, likely because they don't use proper lead-free solder in assembling the coils to the wires.

Personally, I get my *nicotine-without-THC* juice from a reputable source and use a rebuildable tank that involves no solder at all, and have completely failed to be hospitalized because of it :p
Now watch as the hub bub bout this goes silent!

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Man, I guess you don't even have to be a particularly big corporation or company before you're willing to put profit ahead of your customers' health and safety.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Arilynn

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Man, I guess you don't even have to be a particularly big corporation or company before you're willing to put profit ahead of your customers' health and safety.
Points at my "Chinese products" post earlier in the thread.

Solvents that are bad enough on their own in dubious THC extracts leaching the heavy metals out of Chinese knock-off cartridges...

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Vitamin E Acetate in vaping products linked to lung illness

State and federal health officials investigating mysterious lung illnesses linked to vaping have found the same chemical in samples of marijuana products used by people sickened in different parts of the country and who used different brands of products in recent weeks.

The chemical is an oil derived from vitamin E. Investigators at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration found the oil in cannabis products in samples collected from patients who fell ill across the United States. FDA officials shared that information with state health officials during a telephone briefing this week, according to several officials who took part in the call.

That same chemical was also found in nearly all cannabis samples from patients who fell ill in New York in recent weeks, a state health department spokeswoman said.
Vitamin E acetate is a common form of the vitamin used as a nutritional supplement. It is a high boiling point oil. So when you heat it up and vaporize it, it then deposits itself inside your lungs, coating the surface and preventing gas exchange, which is what your lungs do. Coat enough of your lungs with oil and you die.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I'm currently vaping stuff from BrokeDick.com and doing fine.

I'll retain my suspicion of prefilled knock-off cartridges or possible contaminated pg or vg, aside from the extracts made with . . . Vitamin E.

And to keep Cristiano's vodka consumption in check, I won't share how to make safe-to-vape extracts...

Last edited:
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Spirits Rising

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I can see that if I ever need THC or CBD for any reason, I'm going to have to stick to something edible.
If I ever have the money to get a medical card, I'll make my own extracts...

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer