Increased Cases Of Lung Disease From Vaping Remain A Mystery

Tigar

A Most Inappropriate Tigar 🐯
SL Rez
Joined SLU
🌟not on file
SLU Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that, despite most of the hype in vaping centering around the claim that "it's just water", the fact is that it's not just water, it's a solution of water plus nicotine and various flavoring, scent, and coloring chemicals whose cumulative effect when coating airways and lung tissues over the long term was unknown when vaping took off. They could have any number of possible health effects.
I don’t remember anyone saying it was “just water” 💦, and it doesn’t necessarily contain any nicotine. I still vape occasionally after using it to quit smoking and my juice contains no nicotine.

Tigar

SL Rez
Joined SLU
🌟not on file
SLU Posts
I looked this up a while ago when I find out my nephew was vaping. It's less harmful relative to cigarettes but it's still addictive and it can cause the same respiratory illnesses. That last was the part that really alarms me, having seen first hand the effects. I don't want my nephew to go through, later in life, what my aunt did.
Vaping isn’t necessarily addictive.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Kara Spengler

Tigar

SL Rez
Joined SLU
🌟not on file
SLU Posts

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I used vaping many years ago now to quit smoking. I made my own liquid after buying the nicotine, flavoring and vg (vegetable glycerin) from a lab. That's it, 3 ingredients. I never used thc in it and I stopped vaping when I no longer desired to do it.

It sounds like kids in particular are using these things to get high. I'm guessing they would consider it a more easily hidden method than smoking a joint, especially from parents and other authorities. Now, you cannot just walk into a vape store and buy thc oils. I'm pretty sure that is illegal. You'd be buying it from who knows who, and who knows how they made it. It would basically be like going on the corner and getting a bag of weed or any other drug as far as safety goes. As someone pointed out in either the article or the comments, if they used butane it would be very dangerous and also if the oil wasn't burnt off properly it would also be dangerous.

I suspect a supplier who is making bad stuff centered somewhere in the upper midwest, though to my knowledge one should not be using a vape to ingest thc oil. The nature of the heat alone makes it risky. I hope authorities are trying to track down where they got the liquid they are using. I think the article said that it was from a variety of sources, but it is concentrated in a few states, which is highly indicative, to me, of a bad source or perhaps a couple bad sources using the same methods. They would want to get a handle on this quickly, I would think.

I think we should make a distinction in that what these folks seem to be suffering is a rapid injury to the lungs, suggesting that it is related to the substance rather than the type of damage one might see long term like lung cancer. That, remains to be seen over a number of years by users, much like smoking took.

Last edited:

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts

It sounds like kids in particular are using these things to get high. I'm guessing they would consider it a more easily hidden method than smoking a joint, especially from parents and other authorities. Now, you cannot just walk into a vape store and buy thc oils. I'm pretty sure that is illegal. You'd be buying it from who knows who, and who knows how they made it. It would basically be like going on the corner and getting a bag of weed or any other drug as far as safety goes. As someone pointed out in either the article or the comments, if they used butane it would be very dangerous and also if the oil wasn't burnt off properly it would also be dangerous.

In Washington and Oregon -- and, I imagine, in the other states that have legalized marijuana, though I've not visited them -- you can go to the (pot) store and buy THC vape juice. Lab tested, certified, THC, THC-A, and CBD percentages listed, and source registered, with an audit trail clear back to the beginning available should there ever be a problem.

I think it is unlikely there is any butane left in the extraction, though -- butane boils at about the same temperature as water freezes, so there's no need to burn it off. Indeed, I remember a rather regular occurrence pre-legalization was house fires caused by the butane vapors from some amateur's extractor catching fire. Now, here, extraction is done in real grown-up labs by pros using real grown-up lab equipment. I haven't heard about one of those fires here in years. Still, I think you're on the right track; there are plenty of other possible solvents and pollutants that could have ended up in their vaporizer, whether from a bad source or even from themselves, and even from the legal MJ products. For instance, you can buy "tinctures" that consist of that extracted tar dissolved in alcohol. Fine to drink, if you don't mind your glass of wine tasting like somebody dumped their fresh cut lawn in it, but nobody knows what the precise chemical effects of putting that in a vaporizer would be. It's not an experiment I'd be willing to do! (Not 100% sure we have those tinctures in Washington, but they do in Oregon.)

While I'm on the topic, Washington State's research is showing big drops in teenager use of weed post-legalization. It's not a surprising outcome; being an illegal pot dealer in Washington is a recipe for loneliness and poverty now. The first thing you must do when you enter the pot store is show your ID and prove you're over 21. There's no "FFS, she looked 60," either -- everybody gets carded. It's pretty obvious, nobody wants to lose their shop because they sold to a kid. So much for the "Legalize it?!??! OMG! Think of the Children, They'll All be on The Dope!" crowd's pearl-clutching -- keeping The Dope illegal is actually harming kids, not helping them. (Gosh, that's the first time that ever happened with a GOP policy, amirite?)

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
In Washington and Oregon -- and, I imagine, in the other states that have legalized marijuana, though I've not visited them -- you can go to the (pot) store and buy THC vape juice. Lab tested, certified, THC, THC-A, and CBD percentages listed, and source registered, with an audit trail clear back to the beginning available should there ever be a problem.

I think it is unlikely there is any butane left in the extraction, though -- butane boils at about the same temperature as water freezes, so there's no need to burn it off. Indeed, I remember a rather regular occurrence pre-legalization was house fires caused by the butane vapors from some amateur's extractor catching fire. Now, here, extraction is done in real grown-up labs by pros using real grown-up lab equipment. I haven't heard about one of those fires here in years. Still, I think you're on the right track; there are plenty of other possible solvents and pollutants that could have ended up in their vaporizer, whether from a bad source or even from themselves, and even from the legal MJ products. For instance, you can buy "tinctures" that consist of that extracted tar dissolved in alcohol. Fine to drink, if you don't mind your glass of wine tasting like somebody dumped their fresh cut lawn in it, but nobody knows what the precise chemical effects of putting that in a vaporizer would be. It's not an experiment I'd be willing to do! (Not 100% sure we have those tinctures in Washington, but they do in Oregon.)

While I'm on the topic, Washington State's research is showing big drops in teenager use of weed post-legalization. It's not a surprising outcome; being an illegal pot dealer in Washington is a recipe for loneliness and poverty now. The first thing you must do when you enter the pot store is show your ID and prove you're over 21. There's no "FFS, she looked 60," either -- everybody gets carded. It's pretty obvious, nobody wants to lose their shop because they sold to a kid. So much for the "Legalize it?!??! OMG! Think of the Children, They'll All be on The Dope!" crowd's pearl-clutching -- keeping The Dope illegal is actually harming kids, not helping them. (Gosh, that's the first time that ever happened with a GOP policy, amirite?)
Thank you.

I completely forgot about states where it is legal. I assume that they cannot ship to states where it is not legal and that they are doing things by the book. No doubt some amateurs who may or may not have any clue what they are doing are seeing a profit motive or even the legal products might be making their way elsewhere. It's interesting alone that a vape device can be used for this purpose.

I think that is going to bring down the law in a big way, in particular in states where it is still illegal.

Thanks for the post-legalization information, as well.

Lewis Luminos

The Gingerbeard Man
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
It really depends on local regulations. Here in the UK, THC is not legal but CBD is. However, many supposedly legal sources of CBD have been found to contain illegal levels of THC.

Which is why I stick to just nic, and make my own liquids at home with ingredients from trusted EU sources.

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Fizzy!💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
  • 2Agree
Reactions: Clara D. and Marita

Tigar

SL Rez
Joined SLU
🌟not on file
SLU Posts
The lack of specifics on what these kids are vaping is kinda irking me with these stories.

Its just odd cuz with vaping ive never felt better. Only prob I've ever had was the dehydration.
I guess it is a huge question about what exactly is in the juice 🥤, since it’s not regulated.

All I know is that it helped me quit smoking after over 40 years.

But on the gripping hand, I often have problems with shortness of breath these days.

And nothing to suggest that vaping has caused that.

Romana

SL Rez
It might be a whole different set of circumstances. Perhaps your reaction is different if you turned to vaping to quit smoking than if you'd never smoked. Because they don't seem to be saying that any of these kids smoked first.
And aren't they looking at the specifics, like what flavor and brand, to see if there are any commonalities? Seems like something they should've started by now.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
It might be a whole different set of circumstances. Perhaps your reaction is different if you turned to vaping to quit smoking than if you'd never smoked. Because they don't seem to be saying that any of these kids smoked first.
And aren't they looking at the specifics, like what flavor and brand, to see if there are any commonalities? Seems like something they should've started by now.
Shitty journalism eager to hop on the "See! Vaping Am Bad!" bandwagon.

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Fizzy!💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
Shitty journalism eager to hop on the "See! Vaping Am Bad!" bandwagon.
My fav is still the study that went all OMG CHEMICALS after conducting it with settings on a vape that no one would ever in their right minds would use.

Burnt to cinders is not how you vape

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
It could be the moisture, too. I mean, look at pneumonia - it's moisture in the lungs, basically.

• 1Disagree
Reactions: Clara D.

Govi

feral ballerina
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Nicotine is soluble in water. I wonder why that's not used instead of propylene glycol and glycerine. Not enough of a hit, maybe, at reasonable temperatures? Other than nicotine, all that would be left to concern the user would be the flavoring and its breakdown products.

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Fizzy!💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
Nicotine is soluble in water. I wonder why that's not used instead of propylene glycol and glycerine. Not enough of a hit, maybe, at reasonable temperatures? Other than nicotine, all that would be left to concern the user would be the flavoring and its breakdown products.
I've had some water in my wick before, no gusta.

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Fizzy!💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
It could be the moisture, too. I mean, look at pneumonia - it's moisture in the lungs, basically.
The pg in it drys you out if anything i'm assuming.

if I were to take a wild stab at it, i'd start looking at the amount of sweeteners in the juice. People seem to put a lot more in than they did like 5 years ago.

I'm not in a full understanding on how that goes so?????????

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
To get any "vape" it'd be steam at boiling temperatures. Not something anyone would really want to inhale.