Increase the number of Representatives in the House

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
One proposal to deter gerrymandering is to pass a law that the perimeter of a district divided by its area cannot exceed a given number. Goodbye wildly shaped districts.
Hello when districts are drawn someone will hire a mathematician. There are a lot of varieties in there, including where the center of a district is.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Another thing you Americans could focus on would be granting statehood to Puerto Rico and Washington DC.

That might also pave the path to reforming your electoral college.
Thanks but people living in the states do not seem to care. I was talking to a family here on vacation and they seriously could not understand why we want to be a state. I will lay heavy odds they would scream if their state became a territory though.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Hello when districts are drawn someone will hire a mathematician. There are a lot of varieties in there, including where the center of a district is.
Agreed, except the center doesn't come into the equation.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
That's very perceptive. (Considering the topic of the thread...)
Considering where I live I was looking for a way to excuse a perceived diss on the area.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Considering where I live I was looking for a way to excuse a perceived diss on the area.
D.C. is both a place, and the political hub of a country. Context certainly helps understand which one a person is attacking.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
They used to say that about abolishing slavery, or having women vote. Not saying it would be easy.
Consider a more representative Congress as a necessary first step. After that, there are two ways to go about it. The first would be a piecemeal approach with individual states using their new increased representation to create a combination of geographic districts like we have now alongside state-wide districts that are distributed proportionally by vote for the various parties. Western and NE coastal states would probably be more open to this approach, but Southern and Great Plains states would be resistant.

The other option is a Constitutional Amendment, but that would require many of those same states to opt in.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
D.C. is both a place, and the political hub of a country. Context certainly helps understand which one a person is attacking.
There was no clear context. Given the name of the thread I would not lean to the place but I disagree with your premise. If you are talking about dc you are talking about dc.

• 1Eye Roll
  • 1Eggplant
Reactions: Spirits Rising and Free

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
There was no clear context. Given the name of the thread I would not lean to the place but I disagree with your premise. If you are talking about dc you are talking about dc.
You need an adjustment.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Spirits Rising

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
There was no clear context.
We're discussing the House of Reps here. Congress. A huge part of the U.S. government. Not Downtown DC or Anacostia or Georgetown. Not the mayor's office or the National Gallery or Maine Avenue Fish Market. The context is crystal clear. At least to those who can read.

Given the name of the thread I would not lean to the place but I disagree with your premise.
I don't have a premise here. You're the one who started this argument, so you brought the premise.

If you are talking about dc you are talking about dc.
Bullshit.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I don't know if you follow British news much, Kara (no reason you should, of course) but if you do, you'll frequently hear people talking about "Westminster" when they mean parliament, which meets in the Palace of Westminster (a.k.a. the Houses of Parliament).

Despite the fact that there's also a City of Westminster, the London borough in which Parliament and most of Central London and the West End is located, most people manage to understand without much difficulty when "Westminster" refers to the government and the national parliament and when it refers to the geographical area and the city government.

It's not hard.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
We're discussing the House of Reps here. Congress. A huge part of the U.S. government. Not Downtown DC or Anacostia or Georgetown. Not the mayor's office or the National Gallery or Maine Avenue Fish Market. The context is crystal clear. At least to those who can read.

I don't have a premise here. You're the one who started this argument, so you brought the premise.

Bullshit.
You think it is clear there are two DCs. I am pointing out not everyone uses that concept. To hold up a mirror, your post is the one that is bullshit.

• 1ROFL

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
You think it is clear there are two DCs. I am pointing out not everyone uses that concept. To hold up a mirror, your post is the one that is bullshit.
Bonzo.

• 1Agree

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I don't know if you follow British news much, Kara (no reason you should, of course) but if you do, you'll frequently hear people talking about "Westminster" when they mean parliament, which meets in the Palace of Westminster (a.k.a. the Houses of Parliament).

Despite the fact that there's also a City of Westminster, the London borough in which Parliament and most of Central London and the West End is located, most people manage to understand without much difficulty when "Westminster" refers to the government and the national parliament and when it refers to the geographical area and the city government.

It's not hard.
Actually I do but did not realize there was a city of Westminster. However saying DC would be more akin to saying London.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Actually I do but did not realize there was a city of Westminster. However saying DC would be more akin to saying London.
You must be confused as hell by sites with names like the DCReport.