Impatient readers and delayed novels in a series

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

I share the fans' frustration, particularly since I'm still waiting eagerly for the third volume of the Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller series, but I can't imagine getting angry with the authors for their delay -- I hate to think what it must be like trying to write another book in a sequence you once enjoyed but in which you've now lost interest.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Isabeau

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts

I share the fans' frustration, particularly since I'm still waiting eagerly for the third volume of the Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller series, but I can't imagine getting angry with the authors for their delay -- I hate to think what it must be like trying to write another book in a sequence you once enjoyed but in which you've now lost interest.
I know of one author who destroyed the PLANET to keep from being forced to write more books - it didn't work.

But if you have an epic story laid out [and its not one-ofs in a shared universe] then you probably should deliver.

Then again, this Covid thing screwed with my creativity something fierce, so I figure I'm not the only one.

• 1Like
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Yeah, I can completely understand the frustration, mostly because I have a terrible memory when it comes to details and usually have a hard time remembering what the other books were about, but I also don’t see the point in getting angry at the author. In their place I think I would tell them where to go with their complaints.

• 1Like

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
The article mentions Stephen King at the beginning but surprisingly doesn't include the fact that except for the last three which were completed in a year, the average wait time between his Dark Tower novels was six years, lol.

• 1Thanks

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I should also add the disclaimer that my spouse writes and so does my housemate. And because of them, I'm friends with a decent sized passle of -other- writers... so of course I'm going to be patient. Personal things in one's life can really put a damper on creativity.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
About 25 years ago, a very dear friend of mine published two fantasy novels out of a planned trilogy. Life happened, and the third book didn't. But now, after retiring, she's finally finished the third book! She requested the reversion of her publishing rights for the first two and received it, so sometime in the next few months she's going to self-publish the trilogy for Kindle downloading, at a price of $1.50 per book. I'm thrilled!