Ignore delete

Robert Jung

I can't find delete post on this little screen. Could a moderator please delete it? Thanks

ooks like I won't be able to fix my old computer myself, and it's not worth paying a professional to fix it.

I want to be able to walk around sl in moderate graphics settings, but I want to turn up the graphics for photography while I'm standing still.

The old, non-working computer is an HP P7 1010 AMD ATHLON II QUAD with GeForce 560 and a 500w PS.

FOR $99, I can replace it with a working model of the same thing on ebay.

Otoh, tiger direct is selling a Dell optiplex se II i5 4570s 16 GB. With SSD for $240. might be worth the higher price.

any other suggestions? -thanks

Last edited:

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Its worth waiting to see what comes available on Black Friday. There's going to be a lot of deep discounting. Also, continue to look for refurbished pcs from the manufacturers.

• 1Like
Reactions: Robert Jung

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
A decently priced budget build for that task with new off the shelf components starts around 500$.

Building blocks: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
16 GB of RAM
256 or 512 GB SSD
Suitable mainboard
Geforce 1650

Since Second Life viewers nowadays eat a lot of your memory, especially in crowded places, 16 GB of memory is nowadays a must, especially when doing photos. I've observed enough times that my viewer was greedily using up to 8 gigs for itself.

• 1Like
Reactions: Robert Jung

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I've had very good success with Craigslist. A lot of eBay sellers are there to make money, but on Craigslist some of them are there just to clear space and get rid of stuff, and as such I've been able to pick up a fairly decent desktop for $175, an Ultrabook for $200, and just now a 24" monitor for $40 and that's just the past year.

You have to be willing to "roll the dice" but I've only been cheated once - I wasn't listening to my instincts with that one. I did phone work when I was younger for 3 years, and I've picked up a knack for knowing if someone was honest or sketchy, too eager to make a sale, etc, just from their voice or email exchange. If you watch the listings every day for 2-4 weeks you'll be able to find a good deal from someone honest.

• 1Like
Reactions: Isabeau

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Reference to video removed from YouTube.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
*patiently waits for cat pics. With SERIOUS SERIOUS people*

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
*Storms back in for ONE LAST THING BEFORE I LEAVE FOREVER re: entire forum membership are poopie-heads*

• 1RuPaul
Reactions: Sid