If you could pick a coalition cabinet

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
So what lessons are Bernie and his supporters drawing from this setback in South Carolina? What should they have done in order better to persuade people to vote for him rather than for Biden?

And I have to say I think the statement "Fear is what is making people vote against their interests" is pretty dismissive of the people who voted for Biden -- if they hadn't been too frighted (presumably, you would say they had no good reason to be) to think sensibly, they'd have seen what their best interests were, since you and Bernie Sanders clearly have no difficulty identifying the best interests of those voters.
Amen. I keep hearing from a certain contingency that the concerns and experience of black and/or older people (above 45) are not very consequential. Maybe they just vote for those who think they are.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Joe has assembled quite a team of rivals.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Amen. I keep hearing from a certain contingency that the concerns and experience of black and/or older people (above 45) are not very consequential. Maybe they just vote for those who think they are.
No one but you is making that argument. Unrepresentative is not the same as inconsequential.

But since we are playing this game, why should they be more consequential than the young people who will have to live with this decision for decades when, statistically speaking, these people won't?

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
No one but you is making that argument. Unrepresentative is not the same as inconsequential.

But since we are playing this game, why should they be more consequential than the young people who will have to live with this decision for decades when, statistically speaking, these people won't?
People over 50: they vote in higher numbers so their impact is more consequential
Black people: when you are the most rock solid constituency in the party IMO your vote ought to be the most consequential of all.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
People over 50: they vote in higher numbers so their impact is more consequential
Black people: when you are the most rock solid constituency in the party IMO your vote ought to be the most consequential of all.
Wouldn't numbers be doing just that?
The problem is, a lot of the black voters live in states that have tried everything to keep them from voting, or to keep their votes from mattering via gerrymandering.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Wouldn't numbers be doing just that?
The problem is, a lot of the black voters live in states that have tried everything to keep them from voting, or to keep their votes from mattering via gerrymandering.
Here’s my problem: The black people of S.C. clearly made their choice, Almost 2/3 voted for Biden.

Then along comes someone and says well no matter, it was just old black people.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Here’s my problem: The black people of S.C. clearly made their choice, Almost 2/3 voted for Biden.

Then along comes someone and says well no matter, it was just old black people.
Some people are just dismissive - but their vote counted - its just, SC is red. In the general, its unlikely to matter, unless voter suppression goes away, and there is a surge in voters. Its not fair, but in terms of deciding to drop out of the race, basing it on one of 50 states doesn't make much sense. For that matter, NH and Iowa are not very good gauges for similar reasons, and iirc, Nevada is just plain weird.

I wouldn't drop from a race until one of the big, blue states had their primary, and even only one of those doesn't seem like a good gauge for who has a good chance of -winning- in the general. I really don't get why Buttegeig dropped when he has a fair number of Delegates, unless he was promised something.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
My choice for Biden’s veep is Val Demmings.

Yours?

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Why sunglasses?

• 1LOL
Reactions: Isabeau