Ideas to Increase Snapzilla Usage

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I need some advice on how to drive more usage of Snapzilla again. It has slowed down a lot, and I don't want to scrap the site. What would get you to use Snapzilla for your SL images?

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Personally I have got no photos to share, nor am I doing many of them.

I guess your main obstacle in getting a wider usage is the lack of community; Flickr became so big because you've got this big community of all kind of groups where people are patting each other on the shoulder even for mediocre up to really bad stuff, so inflating their egos and self created "awards" which have no real standards or meaning at all. Instagram is more or less the same, minus groups.

People are lazy and tend to flock around where the mass of the people goes, which was Flickr and now maybe is Instagram. So that's your competition and I am afraid I've got no bright idea on how you could improve when users are lazy and just don't care about anything else than being cheap and going where the mass is.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I need some advice on how to drive more usage of Snapzilla again. It has slowed down a lot, and I don't want to scrap the site. What would get you to use Snapzilla for your SL images?
Taking pics in SL when I make one of my increasing rare logins? :)

From what I remember in at least some clients you could email a pic right from the client to an address sites like flickr. Does snapzilla have that capability?

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Taking pics in SL when I make one of my increasing rare logins? :)

From what I remember in at least some clients you could email a pic right from the client to an address sites like flickr. Does snapzilla have that capability?
Snapzilla has been built around sending them directly from the client from the start - you just email it to pics@slpics.com and it appears on the site. It parses the postcard data so it also contains the link to the location and has the sim name (you can filter results on Snapzilla by sim). You can also upload directly to Snapzilla.

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
I have to pay it a visit again. I haven't in a long time, and have a whole crapload of photos I could add. Most of them are already on Flickr, so they're all edited, etc, but since Flickr seems to be floundering a bit, I really should look into another place on a regular basis.

As for others...I'm not sure how it would work out, but maybe make a Flickr account and upload an image advertising Snapzilla? If you want to draw a bunch of SL residents to Snapzilla, going where they currently *are* to let them know it's here should attract more users. I'm sure everyone who got that email from SmugMug/Flickr practically begging for subscribers see's the same writing on the wall I do. I'm vain in liking to show off my photos...and I'm NOTHING compared to some other Flickr users when it comes to that.

• 1Disagree
Reactions: Pancake

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL -> Snapzilla gateway so you can take pics in SL and automagically send them to Snapzilla. I know you can capture someone's profile pic and have it appear in an inworld scripted object, so it may be doable.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I always forget to make pictures when I'm in SL.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Snapzilla has been built around sending them directly from the client from the start - you just email it to pics@slpics.com and it appears on the site. It parses the postcard data so it also contains the link to the location and has the sim name (you can filter results on Snapzilla by sim). You can also upload directly to Snapzilla.
Cool, the more you know.

I wonder if I am the only one that forgot that feature though?

OrinB

tutti fruitti
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
I only just noticed it again. I'm going to add it to my upload schedule :p. I'm just getting to grips with the new UI. I've been a bit slack on pictures in 2019. But i'd like to make more time for the process next year. I really do enjoy it when i get going.

I'll put it on my profile too.

Have you thought of offering a more "business" orientated option? I'm not sure it works as a postcard stlye solution though, but it might be worth looking to help the traffice.

I'll try to make it more well known amongst friends, as it's a lot better for cataloguing an event or just hanging out with friends than flickr is.

The other thing would be an integration with facebook... That wouldn't work for me as i don't have an SL facebook page, but tons of people do.

• 1Like

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Obviously I'm about the code...

Auto-share links (for Twitter, Facebook (blech!), whatever) might be a nice addition.

Vote-to Collections, where users can vote on images to be added to (collection ideas) Fashion, Landscape, maybe Photo of the Day.

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Obviously I'm about the code...

Auto-share links (for Twitter, Facebook (blech!), whatever) might be a nice addition.

Vote-to Collections, where users can vote on images to be added to (collection ideas) Fashion, Landscape, maybe Photo of the Day.
You already can share any image to Facebook, Twitter and Plurk, with full embedding. I'm not sure auto-sharing is possible, but I'll check. I used to have a Flickr pass through but they killed their post by email function. I like the collection idea a lot.
Facebook:

Twitter:

Plurk:

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Really spam the slpics address on the site so it's obvious how to do it. Like have every image that was posted from Second Life that way say something like "Posted from Second Life by mailing the snapshot directly to pics@slpics.com".

Last edited:
  • 1Like

eku zhong

Zhonging along.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Mar 2009
SLU Posts
You need to create a Snapzilla FB page.. and then join all the SL blogger and photo FB groups and spam to those. make auto add to snapzilla FB page (opt in of course) and youll get way more takers

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
You need to create a Snapzilla FB page.. and then join all the SL blogger and photo FB groups and spam to those. make auto add to snapzilla FB page (opt in of course) and youll get way more takers
i agree here.

marketing is key..especially with flickr paranoia...you'll want people to know that there is an alternative in case of collapase.. a few key bloggers could just suggest it and traffic will start comming your way. they will also start throwing suggestions at you( probably to make it look more like flickr ).

Edit: i just logged into my snapzilla account first created in 2009... i feel old.

whats the max size of the profile avatar image?

Last edited:
  • 1Like