I hung up on a weird-ass poll

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I wouldn't normally have even picked up the phone, but I thought it might be anyfing to mess with them. The caller ID said "Voter Attitudes".
They asked me if I was a Democrat or a Republican, and seemed disappointed that I was neither.
Their second question was a very oddly worded mishmash. "are you against all taxes except... I forget what the exception was. How can you be against all taxes categorically, except for one? I told them it would depend what the taxes were and who they helped or hurt. I dunt think they cared for that answer either.
The third question blathered on about "workers' rights" in language that was heavily loaded against unions. That was when I had enough and hung up.
I'm a little sorry now that I didn't ask them who Voters Attitudes actually was, not that they would've given me a straight answer, but I've been trying to figure out since who might be against almost all taxes, but also against unions. I refreshed my memory. on the disingenuously-named "right to work" laws, which would suggest that the pollsters were conservative (also the kludginess of the questions), but I can't think of why conservatives would be against almost all taxes.
Any thoughts? (Search had turned up nothing so far).

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I wouldn't normally have even picked up the phone, but I thought it might be anyfing to mess with them. The caller ID said "Voter Attitudes".
They asked me if I was a Democrat or a Republican, and seemed disappointed that I was neither.
Their second question was a very oddly worded mishmash. "are you against all taxes except... I forget what the exception was. How can you be against all taxes categorically, except for one? I told them it would depend what the taxes were and who they helped or hurt. I dunt think they cared for that answer either.
The third question blathered on about "workers' rights" in language that was heavily loaded against unions. That was when I had enough and hung up.
I'm a little sorry now that I didn't ask them who Voters Attitudes actually was, not that they would've given me a straight answer, but I've been trying to figure out since who might be against almost all taxes, but also against unions. I refreshed my memory. on the disingenuously-named "right to work" laws, which would suggest that the pollsters were conservative (also the kludginess of the questions), but I can't think of why conservatives would be against almost all taxes.
Okay, so conservatives, or rather, libertarians, are big into the whole 'fair tax' bs - which would replace income taxes with sales taxes. Which while it sounds fair on paper, most wealthy people have most things they need, and well, let's say they buy a car? Proportionally, they are paying a much smaller % of the money they have than if we bought the same car.

That's what comes to mind, really. The whole make the poor even poorer by taking away union protections, and having to pay most everything they do get out in taxes, while the rich pay even less than they do now.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
My guess is on a group of libertarian nuts.

I don't suppose you got their number, so that I can preemptively block them?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
But how do they plan on robbing the poor to give to the rich?😟
If there were no taxes or regulation, then the rich could just suck all the money up directly.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
But how do they plan on robbing the poor to give to the rich?😟
By institutiong 'Fair Tax' which isn't because poor people usually need to buy a lot more than rich people.

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
My answer for all pollsters is, "Just a moment -- before we get started, I'll need your credit card number. As you know, it's $150 for the first answer, $50 each for every answer after that. Once your credit card clears, we can set an appointment for this conversation, a little over 90 days from now. I'm ready for your credit card ......."

Once I get them to actually hear, "YOUR credit card number", they seldom stick around to hear the rest of what I think is a very polite bunch of malarkey. It's a shame.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
"This is a cellphone." Hang up. Block caller. \o/

Zaida Gearbox

Please keep in mind that pollsters/survey takers have a script that they're reading from. So, getting into a knit picking conversation with them is not helpful.