Yay! I finally got Kevined!

Cristiano

Full Frontal Nerdity
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
So there is a scammer going around begging for money in SL. Several friends have gotten these IMs, but I've never gotten one until now. I decided to have a little fun:

[19:40] Kevin3016: hey nice avatar...im new to this game and saved 238 of those linden things from a contest and camping...im trying to get this skin/shape combo for 700...i feel bad for asking but can you please lend me 462 so i can get it?...if not thats fine too...just seems nobody wants to help me out
[19:40] Cristiano Midnight: can I see your cock?
[19:40] Cristiano Midnight: I'll pay 500L
[19:40] Cristiano Midnight: whip it out right now

No reply lol.

Last edited:

Amelia Freund

Joined SLU
10 Sep 2007
SLU Posts
My alt got the same word for word the other night while at Pink Fuel.

Free

10K under the hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
So there is a scammer going around begging for money in SL. Several friends have gotten these IMs, but I've never gotten one until now. I decided to have a little fun:

[19:40] Kevin3016: hey nice avatar...im new to this game and saved 238 of those linden things from a contest and camping...im trying to get this skin/shape combo for 700...i feel bad for asking but can you please lend me 462 so i can get it?...if not thats fine too...just seems nobody wants to help me out
[19:40] Cristiano Midnight: can I see your cock?
[19:40] Cristiano Midnight: I'll pay 500L
[19:40] Cristiano Midnight: whip it out right now

No reply lol.

I have a feeling if I tried that tactic, I'd get a reply...

Milly

I've been Kevin'd a few times but with different numbers at the end. I went to one store that had huge signs warning people about Kevin.

• 1Like
Reactions: Fionalein

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
I must go to all of the wrong places. Or 'right' places, depending on your viewpoint, I guess. I've been Kevin'ed more times than I can even count. At pretty much every shopping event I go to.

My conclusion is that I apparently spend too much time at shopping events, and poor Kevin will never get 462 Linden things from me. No matter what number he has at the end of his name.

• 1LOL
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Is fishing even still a thing???
More so than Realms - especially since LL limited daily Realms payouts to PIU status avatars.
I must go to all of the wrong places. Or 'right' places, depending on your viewpoint, I guess. I've been Kevin'ed more times than I can even count. At pretty much every shopping event I go to.

My conclusion is that I apparently spend too much time at shopping events, and poor Kevin will never get 462 Linden things from me. No matter what number he has at the end of his name.
I think Kevin's algorithm just goes to where people are, last time I got Kevin-ed was at SL17B community event... easiest way to avoid Kevin is not going to the destinations marked as "hot" by LL.

Last edited:

Maitimo

mostly 'armless
SL Rez
I'm curious how many people actually fall for it and give them some money. It must be some, enough to make it worth bothering.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I'm curious how many people actually fall for it and give them some money. It must be some, enough to make it worth bothering.
I wonder what happened to the rent scammers - Kevin's still around but the "I need to pay the rent" spam seems all but gone...

bubblesort

That's wild, LOL. I haven't been Kevened in at least 6 months.

Where did the name Kevin come from? When I saw the thread title I thought it was some new way to get Ruthed, which is a totally different thing.

Speaking of which, I was telling noobs about Ruth the other day, and being Ruthed, and the church of Ruth. They thought I was crazy until I showed them my old Ruth avatar, LOL

PaperB

Oops I necro'd again...
SL Rez
Ya want pictures or a movie?

PaperB

Oops I necro'd again...
SL Rez
Indeed I usually have nothing to do after the quary is ... i better read the rules huh?

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Kevinism is a serious thing in Germany. In case you never heard about that one before: in the late 90s up early 2000s some previously uncommon forenames like Kevin, Justin, Chantal, Mandy and Peggy have been in fashion in Germany, so a lot of children have been named that way.

But the catch is that those names are being viewed as mostly in fashion within the lower/poor classes and also Eastern Germans (Ossis), but not above. So they have an undeserved, bad reputation.

The result is that just by bearing those names the children were by trend given lower scores in school, and viewed as more conspicuous and dumber than the average. Kevin has become a synonym for being a dumb, poor slob. And many still until today treat Kevins just automatically that way.

Also the combination Alpha Kevin was a youth word in 2015, and described somebody as being really really dumb, a Kevin amongst Kevins so to speak.

This phenomenon though is nothing new, in the past other forenames were just treated like that as well.

Last edited: