I Am Completely Confused By BoM

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
One other important thing to note. If the body requires you to activate BoM through the hud, you have to restart your viewer afterwards the first time or clothing alphas won't show (which was one thing that confused the hell out of me).
Is this a hack to let them make products no-mod, like with resizers?

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Is this a hack to let them make products no-mod, like with resizers?
No I don't think it is - it just seems to be a quirk of Signature's implementation. When I first activated BoM on the body, I added a shirt alpha and the body rebaked but the alpha didn't show - the body looked the same. However, after restarting, it looked fine. I don't know why it's necessary. It was only the first time, now that the body is activated for BoM, it works fine. Maybe it is because they have a bom and non-bom implementation in the same body.

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I mean having to use a HUD to set BoM.
Well when I first got the body in October, it had a separate bom version. With the latest update them combined them into one body, so that may be why, instead of maintaining two different versions.

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
But was the body no-mod so you couldn't set BOM yourself?

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
If I ever get a human avatar, I'll stick to the Linden body then.

Wesleytron

Joined SLU
08-11-2014
SLU Posts
If I ever get a human avatar, I'll stick to the Linden body then.
... if you need a male human one with bento fingers there is always this one: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/onupup-MALE-FREE-SLUV-BENTO-FITMESH-FULL-AVATAR/13899082

There's also the Roth 2.0 Male Bento Avatar:

(Alpha hud for it at: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Mesh-Roth-2G-Bento-Hands-Head-Body-Alpha-HUD/16280056 )

For females there is its counterpart, the Ruth 2020 Bento mesh avatar:

They are both from the Ruth and Roth 2.0 open source mesh bodies project, found at:

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Yeah but the Onupup seems to fit classic cloth... (never tried fitmesh briefs, gotta believe my male friend who claims so)

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Wesleytron

Wesleytron

Joined SLU
08-11-2014
SLU Posts
I'll take your word for it. I heard about the Ruth and Roth project some time ago but I never tried any of them.

Haven't heard of the Oneup body until now. I might give it a look...

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Good to know I'm not the only one confused with my BoM body. I have a skin that used an applier with my old Slink body, do I now need to buy a new skin for it to work with BoM ?
Or use an old system skin :p

• 1Like
Reactions: Stora

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Sure - you have to NOT wear your usual base alpha because if you do it will hide the whole of your BoM avatar. But that's because classic alpha layers now work on the BoM enabled mesh. However, when wearing mesh clothes that's what you WANT the alpha layers to do - hide just the parts of the body where you're going to wear the clothing. No need to use the alpha cuts in your avatar's hud. It's always been like that since BoM was launched.
On my bodies / heads, when I wear an alpha I see red. On newer products, like Lelutka's new Evolution line, that's not the case. It depends very much on how the body was built to handle BOM.

Wesleytron

Joined SLU
08-11-2014
SLU Posts
On my bodies / heads, when I wear an alpha I see red. On newer products, like Lelutka's new Evolution line, that's not the case. It depends very much on how the body was built to handle BOM.
Ah yes, I have seen this on a mesh head. It's a known bug I think - it's not supposed to do that - alpha layers are supposed to make the corresponding parts of the worn mesh invisible.

...and it does work as expected on the mesh bodies I have, so there must be a workaround. Reading the jira it suggests it happens when the mesh body attachment is set to alpha none or alpha masking (eta with an emissive mask of 0)

Last edited:

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I've been using BOM with Maitreya with very few issues at all. I really enjoy it. Once you get this figured out, I think you'll like it.
With Maitreya? I wasn't aware they had come out with a BoM-compatible avatar yet.

I still have to wear a full body alpha layer to keep my system avatar from poking through. Does that requirement go away with BoM?