I Am Completely Confused By BoM

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
The latest update to the mesh body I have (Signature Gianni) included BoM support. I figured I would give it a try, since one of the things that annoys the ever living fuck out of me is that even though a piece of mesh is fit for a particular body, some designers are quite lazy and don't auto-hide properly, so I end up spending a ridiculous amount of time turning on and off little sections of the body to hide it.

The idea of just being able to wear an alpha layer on the mesh body the same way you did with regular avatars is appealing, because it theoretically solves that problem. However, in practice, I'm not having much luck with it.

First I tried a shirt alpha that came with a shirt from Deadwool, since they don't even bother with doing mesh for particular bodies, just standard mesh sizes. I put on the alpha, my body updated, and nothing. It looked exactly the same, and when I put on the suit, I had the same problems I always have with it and have to fix it in my hud.

Today I tried a different piece of clothing, and thought I was having more luck, but then, no.

I put on the alpha for a hoodie from Blank Line, and my body updated as I expected, with the parts alphaed where the hoodie would be:

However, when I put on the hoodie, this bullshit happened:

Where the body would normally stick through now shows up alphaed , not hidden.

For comparison, if I go into the hud and hide the arms, this is what it looks like:

I am not sure if I'm doing something wrong or BoM is just not ready for prime time yet. Any ideas?

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
I saw that sort of weirdness when experimenting with Bake On Mesh.

Does that body have that (bake on mesh) texture on it?

eta: maybe if I read the thread title. 🤪 BOM and alphas fight

Last edited:

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Looks like conflicting alphas, I guess your hoodie contains alpahed textures. My advi use BoM for tattoos and HUD instead of alphas for hiding.
Yeah, not a mesh expert, but to an experienced builder that screams "conflicting alpha texture" issue. Check your "worn" tab and see what alpha textures are sharing that body area.

Last edited:
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Cristalle

Peony

The lurker in her natural habitat.
SL Rez
Alpha clashing issues are annoying, and while BOM is meant to solve that, we’re still not there yet. I’ve has best BOM experience on bodies that have mod permissions, like the Ruth, but there are a few things you could try.

If the hoodie is modifiable, check that its texture is set to alpha “none” or “mask” (you may need a non-zero value for the mask depending on how the clothing is made.)

The other thing to try is to “mask” alphas on your body - I’m assuming it still has the old tattoo and clothing layers. See if the hud allows you to set those to “mask” even if there’s no texture on them.

• 1Agree
  • 1Interesting
Reactions: Clara D. and Fionalein

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
I've been using BOM with Maitreya with very few issues at all. I really enjoy it. Once you get this figured out, I think you'll like it.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: sldenizen and Clara D.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I've been using BOM with Maitreya with very few issues at all. I really enjoy it. Once you get this figured out, I think you'll like it.
Beezle's been wearing all the old things with a Slink body, supplemented with a few new things, other than one dress that was inexplicably alpha when it shouldn't have been, it's been lovely, she just took the scripts out of the body and doesn't bother with the HUD.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
The whole point of Bakes on Mesh is to map the texture of the skin to the mesh body, but it requires you to not wear an alpha as that interferes with the process. Your body comes with a HUD to hide slices of the body. Use THAT to fix the fit of your mesh clothing.

• 1Disagree
Reactions: Clara D.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
There should be a way to sort the order of textures and alphas. I played with it so long ago that I don't remember where that UI sort is provided. But checking the order of your layers would be my first trouble-shooting suggestion.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Soen Eber

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
The whole point of Bakes on Mesh is to map the texture of the skin to the mesh body, but it requires you to not wear an alpha as that interferes with the process. Your body comes with a HUD to hide slices of the body. Use THAT to fix the fit of your mesh clothing.
This is just categorically not true. It turns out the issue I was having was just with a single piece of clothing. Clothing alphas work perfectly as expected now on other items - I just put them on and put on the piece of mesh clothing and I no longer have to hide parts in my hud. Clothing alphas are meant to work - it was the full body alpha that hid our old avatars that you can't use, as it is unnecessary.

I previously could not even get this shirt to hide correctly in my hud, as there was a part of the chest that was still sticking out and if I hid it in my hud, it took out part of the neck area. Using the alpha included with the shirt on the bom body worked perfectly, and now I can use the shirt.

That is the alpha above, and then the shirt when I attached it. It interacts perfectly with the alpha and I don't have to use the hud at all.

I'm most excited that this worked with all of my Deadwool suits and things that were a pain in the ass to have to hide - it works perfectly now just by wearing the items with the included alphas. Before it involved making presets in my hud with the parts hidden correctly, then forgetting which preset it was because you couldn't name them. Now I just wear the outfit and it works - which was the promise of BoM.

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Looks like conflicting alphas, I guess your hoodie contains alpahed textures. My advice: use BoM for tattoos and HUD instead of alphas for hiding.
Shouldn't have to, if it's mod just set the alpha on the hoodie to masked instead of blended. And if it's not mod, throw it out. :p

Huds shouldn't be necessary at all if the item includes alphas.

There should be a way to sort the order of textures and alphas. I played with it so long ago that I don't remember where that UI sort is provided. But checking the order of your layers would be my first trouble-shooting suggestion.
Are you thinking of sorting tattoo and body alpha layers? That's just part of edit appearance.

WTF? :facepalm:

No it isn't. It's so we don't have to wear script-bomb hud/body combos and onion-layered bodies by allowing the use of "old-school" system-layer alpha layers (which match clothing better than "slices" anyways). as well as tattoos and system clothing without "appliers."

Alphas don't "interfere" in the baking process in the slightest. Look at Beezle in the SYS thread. No hud use at all -- her body is de-scripted and she wears corset with system alphas just fine, along with a system skin and multiple tattoo layers.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Cristiano

Stora

SL Rez
Good to know I'm not the only one confused with my BoM body. I have a skin that used an applier with my old Slink body, do I now need to buy a new skin for it to work with BoM ?

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Every tutorial with BOM tells you to take off your alphas for it to show up. You look like a gremlin but then the mesh body gets the texture and it shows through. There is nothing that I can see that distinguishes clothing alphas from any body alpha. Did they make some change recently that changed that?

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Good to know I'm not the only one confused with my BoM body. I have a skin that used an applier with my old Slink body, do I now need to buy a new skin for it to work with BoM ?
Yes, you need the BoM version. Using an applier deactivates BoM, at least on my Signature body, and then my old avatar pops out. The skin I have from Birth added BoM versions to the package, so a redelivery gave me the new version. You may want to check where you bought it.

Note it looks like this in inventory...you wear the item:

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Archer and Stora

Wesleytron

Joined SLU
08-11-2014
SLU Posts
Every tutorial with BOM tells you to take off your alphas for it to show up. You look like a gremlin but then the mesh body gets the texture and it shows through. There is nothing that I can see that distinguishes clothing alphas from any body alpha. Did they make some change recently that changed that?
Sure - you have to NOT wear your usual base alpha because if you do it will hide the whole of your BoM avatar. But that's because classic alpha layers now work on the BoM enabled mesh. However, when wearing mesh clothes that's what you WANT the alpha layers to do - hide just the parts of the body where you're going to wear the clothing. No need to use the alpha cuts in your avatar's hud. It's always been like that since BoM was launched.

Last edited:
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Lyric

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
One other important thing to note. If the body requires you to activate BoM through the hud, you have to restart your viewer afterwards the first time or clothing alphas won't show (which was one thing that confused the hell out of me).

• 1Thanks
  • 1lolwut?
Reactions: Archer and Fionalein

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
One other important thing to note. If the body requires you to activate BoM through the hud, you have to restart your viewer afterwards the first time or clothing alphas won't show (which was one thing that confused the hell out of me).
Sounds like a Signature specific problem, I tossed the BoM base textures via Omega onto my usual non-BoM body and head and it worked fine.

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Sounds like a Signature specific problem, I tossed the BoM base textures via Omega onto my usual non-BoM body and head and it worked fine.
I figured it might be, since they made reference to it in the activate BoM pop up menu.

Wesleytron

Joined SLU
08-11-2014
SLU Posts
In short:

1. Do NOT wear a full body alpha layer to allow your body to be seen (BoM enabled mesh auto-hides the base avatar)
2. Wear specific dedicated alpha layers to hide parts of the body where clipping may occur with mesh clothing.

...just like in the old days!

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Archer

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Some of the body makers implemented it in really bass-ackwards ways. It's a single radio button on the texture menu in edit, then selecting which body part. >_<