Hurricane Dorian could impact the 'entirety of Florida' when it makes landfall as a monster storm

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Both American and European weather models are in agreement that Florida is screwed....

Hurricane Dorian is slowing down and building to be a strong Category 4 Storm when it makes landfall possibly Monday Morning. only question is really how far north or south is it going to hit.

Last edited:

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Trucks comes in at 4am filled with water.. by 5am it's already done. didn't have time to even get inside.. Cashiers and security doing transactions outside by the truck. limited to one case per cart

Long lines at Gas Stations throughout the night...( glad i went the night before)

people are still working today and waiting to see what happens so we haven't reached saturation yet.... unlike Irma which grazed us theres allot more people involved. Evacuation orders haven't been given yet... expected to happen this evening...

According to stats it would take up to 4 days to evacuate south florida alone(if everyone was leaving)... can't imagine an entire state..

Still have no idea how far North or South it will hit... ( please go north) it all depends on when it starts turning.. Depends on who wins the atmospheric battle.

Last edited:

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts

So far it looks like the eye won't even land in Florida but it's now a category 5. They say that after it leaves the northern Bahamas it should eventually go down to a 4.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Be aware that the most recent forecast track, while not having the center of the storm make landfall in Florida, is still close enough that coastal areas will still see damaging effects from Dorian. We will see how the forecast track changes between now and Tuesday.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Florida may or may not be entirely screwed [in lots of ways], but considering that we won't likely see anything more than some rain from it over here, well, I don't think Dorian is going to be the one that does it. Not unless it changes track, goes right over central Florida, then into the Gulf, then regroups and comes up to smack us. And I don't think that's all that likely.

That said, I hope everyone that IS in the path stays safe.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
SL Rez
SLU Posts
There will probably be bigger storms in the next couple of months. Available from Zulily.

• 1Agree

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I feel sorry for the Bahamas. They had wind gusts bad enough to be tornado speed and homes were destroyed.
Indeed. At 185 MPH, the sustained wind speeds were equivalent to that of a strong EF-3 tornado. I'm not sure if straight-line winds are any less destructive than rotating winds, but that kind of wind speed over a large area is going to be absolutely catastrophic. Florida is not in the clear, but I think they've really dodged a bullet here.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Govi and Brenda Archer

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
The latest forecast track brings Dorian closer to the Florida coast. There will definitely be some serious impacts in Florida from this storm.

This is the latest forecast track. This is hotlinked directly from the NHC, and it will auto-update every six hours. This is the cycle by which all of the NHC's weather products are updated, although there is a supplemental text forecast update at the three-hour mark, along with spot updates whenever something important happens.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Here's a longer version of the earlier video I posted:

Note that all of the daytime storm damage videos and pictures you've seen were taken in Abaco during the eye transit. The people in these videos were only halfway through the storm at that point.

Dorian is crawling west-southwest at between 5 and 6 mph, those people will be enduring the storm literally all night.

Archer

Arch Enemy
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes, a big part of the story with this one is it's extremely low speed. Not only is the damage multiplying in the Bahamas due to the intensity of the thing, but it's just sitting there! The slow speed also makes the track forecasting harder because of the changes to the steering currents as time goes on. Lots of unknowns still with this one.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
The news reports seem to be saying the center probably won't hit Florida but could. By the time it makes it to the Carolinas it will be a category 1 or 2.

• 1Thanks