Hurricane Dorian could impact the 'entirety of Florida' when it makes landfall as a monster storm

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
allot of the more recent people that have moved into south florida complain about all the wasted prep work and failed predictions blaming Experts.. until they experience it for themselves you won't be able to convince them regardless if it's in a history book or not..

no power... no a/c for weeks..
can't order your favorite foods or cravings...get sick of barbque...and camping/military style food. have to ration everything.
can't get in contact with family or friends( only to find out later they died)
having to stand in long lines to get basic supplies from Armed guards( hope your ID didn't get wet/destroyed. thats another line)
having to search and pick up what little you have left and protect it from theives 24/7(amazing how dark it gets at night without light pollution)
no bathroom( go pee and poop in the street, Take a bath? Ha!)
no change of clothes
no police services.. If a hospital is still standing good luck getting in.. Medical tents only cover basics so lot so diseases.... unless it's a dire emergency.. your on your own.
no where to run or hide, very little privacy.

It's like a Living in an Armageddon movie. We take allot of things for granted being able to live in modern times. But when Pain, Desperation, hunger, loss... when it all sinks in....it doesn't take much to change a civilized human back into an animal fighting for survival.

you can prepare with all the money you have...Mother nature will always find a way... it just needs alittle crack and everything you own is gone. no one is around to help you cause they are too busy trying to get help themselves.

took about 3 months before we got a sense of normality.. 10 years before officals considered Miami fully recovered. Lots of rules and regulations were changed.

i'm kinda happy i was only 5 and i don't remember much of the aftermath of hurricane andrew was too worried about getting cooties from girl they trapped me with. But the only thing we can do is tell people so they don't ever have to experience it....

if you do want to experience it tho by all means knock yourself out. i'm sure you find some nice beach front property for sale soon.

Last edited:

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Social media post from my brother down in florida: it seems my nephew was annoyed at random blackouts cutting out his game. :)

• 1LOL
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
allot of the more recent people that have moved into south florida complain about all the wasted prep work and failed predictions blaming Experts.. until they experience it for themselves you won't be able to convince them regardless if it's in a history book or not..

can't order your favorite foods or cravings...get sick of barbque...and camping/military style food. have to ration everything.
having to stand in long lines to get basic supplies from Armed guards( hope your ID didn't get wet/destroyed. thats another line)
having to search and pick up what little you have left and protect it from theives 24/7(amazing how dark it gets at night without light pollution)
no change of clothes
no police services.. If a hospital is still standing good luck getting in.. Medical tents only cover basics so lot so diseases.... unless it's a dire emergency.. your on your own.

It's like a Living in an Armageddon movie. We take allot of things for granted being able to live in modern times. But when Pain, Desperation, hunger, loss... when it all sinks in....it doesn't take much to change a civilized human back into an animal fighting for survival.

you can prepare with all the money you have...Mother nature will always find a way... it just needs alittle crack and everything you own is gone. no one is around to help you cause they are too busy trying to get help themselves.

took about 3 months before we got a sense of normality.. 10 years before officals considered Miami fully recovered. Lots of rules and regulations were changed.

i'm kinda happy i was only 5 and i don't remember much of the aftermath of hurricane andrew was too worried about getting cooties from girl they trapped me with. But the only thing we can do is tell people so they don't ever have to experience it....

if you do want to experience it tho by all means knock yourself out. i'm sure you find some nice beach front property for sale soon.
I always find people who do not have an emergency plan at all a bit bizarre. You do not need to maintain a supply of everything, just know what you have already (hopefully flashlights and the usual first aid stuff anyone has somewhere, water is good too but in a pinch fill your bathtub the day before) and what you need to get.

For example, if I know there is a good chance of being socked in by a blizzard my top 'need it now' priority is a weekend's worth of fresh food sometime before the storm arrives. Even that is not a requirement, it is just that eating things like energy bars and cereal becomes boring after a bit.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
I just really wanted it to obliterate Trump's stupid golf course alright. I didn't really mean much else by that.
I'll be honest: I was hoping for a direct hit on Mar-a-Lago myself. But hurricanes are huge and rather indiscriminate. I would have preferred a freak tornado that touches down, wipes out the resort, then dissipates. I'm sure there's a lot of evangelicals that would have seen that as a sign from God.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I always find people who do not have an emergency plan at all a bit bizarre. You do not need to maintain a supply of everything, just know what you have already (hopefully flashlights and the usual first aid stuff anyone has somewhere, water is good too but in a pinch fill your bathtub the day before) and what you need to get.

For example, if I know there is a good chance of being socked in by a blizzard my top 'need it now' priority is a weekend's worth of fresh food sometime before the storm arrives. Even that is not a requirement, it is just that eating things like energy bars and cereal becomes boring after a bit.
It's fairly cheap to lay in some basics and even if you're not a survivalist/doomsday prepper:

Camp stove with a few bottles of propane - I have a burner that screws on top of a propane bottle.
BBQ Lighter or kitchen matches for lighting the above
Cheap led lantern & flashlights
A couple of 5 gallon bottles of drinking water*
Cheapo AM/FM radio
Batteries**
Powdered gatorade and canned food*** and/or MRE's, snacks
Shower in a box (aka baby wipes)
TP, shovel****, port-a-potty liquid, honey-bucket or camping toilet
Books, board games, cards
Basic first aid: gauze, band-aids, neosporin, rubbing alcohol, chewable pepto-bismol, immodium, painkillers, etc.
Insect repellent.
Lots of extra socks and undies, in a pinch you can hand-wash in a 5-gallon bucket and sponge-bath while you''re at it.

*Aquavend or Water&Ice type store, not tap --- the tap water here goes funky with long-term storage.
Water&Ice places sell 5 gallon bottles or get water jerrycans from military surplus.
2gallons per person per day minimum

**Don't keep batteries in anything -- Alkalines eventually go bad and leak.
Panasonic Industrial Alkalines have a *much* longer shelf life, but they have to be ordered -- Digi-Key or Mouser carry them

***Rotate out canned food, it does have a shelf life

****Even if it's just an e-tool from military surplus
The liquid goes a *long* way if you're just treating a porta-toilet/contractor bucket
Ex: Amazon.com: Camco 41197 TST Ultra-Concentrate Orange Scent RV Toilet Treatment, Formaldehyde Free, Breaks Down Waste And Tissue, Septic Tank Safe, Treats up to 16-40 Gallon Holding Tanks (1 Gal): Gateway

SL Rez
SLU Posts

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Eww! I need to clean my bathtub more often.
Consider this an incentive to do so. Or at least to buy some water and store it away in a closet. Just make sure to check the dates on it now and then and replace it sometimes. Yes, bottled water expires: while the water stays fine the plastic container dissolves a bit.

If you go the tub route and your stove works (like if it is gas-based) boil it before use.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Pensacola means buy the water - we don't have lead in ours, but.... the list of bad things is impressive, including chloroform?!
Even the critters get filtered water.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
It's fairly cheap to lay in some basics and even if you're not a survivalist/doomsday prepper:

Camp stove with a few bottles of propane - I have a burner that screws on top of a propane bottle.
Cheapo AM/FM radio
Batteries**
Basic first aid: gauze, band-aids, neosporin, rubbing alcohol, chewable pepto-bismol, immodium, painkillers, etc.
Insect repellent.
Lots of extra socks and undies, in a pinch you can hand-wash in a 5-gallon bucket and sponge-bath while you''re at it.

*Aquavend or Water&Ice type store, not tap --- the tap water here goes funky with long-term storage.
Water&Ice places sell 5 gallon bottles or get water jerrycans from military surplus.

Panasonic Industrial Alkalines have a *much* longer shelf life, but they have to be ordered -- Digi-Key or Mouser carry them

The liquid goes a *long* way if you're just treating a porta-toilet/contractor bucket
Ex: Amazon.com: Camco 41197 TST Ultra-Concentrate Orange Scent RV Toilet Treatment, Formaldehyde Free, Breaks Down Waste And Tissue, Septic Tank Safe, Treats up to 16-40 Gallon Holding Tanks (1 Gal): Gateway
Exactly!

I am currently loving some small flashlights I found on amazon. While they do have batteries in them it is how those batteries are charged: solar and a hand crank. Where you are, your particular situation, and what disasters are the most likely also will determine what you need.

For example, I am in DC so my two biggies are a blizzard blocking me in or an attack forcing me to evacuate. So most likely is a couple days where I have no access to outside resources but the next I have to drop almost everything. Which means building up months of my meds (so I can grab them and go) and being realistic about what will happen with a given storm allowing me to quickly assess what I need.

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU

no change of clothes

It's pretty horrible. When a hurricane of that level hits, nothing you do can really completely prepare you. All the stuff that you stored to eat and the flash lights and the generator will probably fly away in winds that are strong enough to rip your house into toothpicks. What happened in the Bahamas, when you look at the aftermath, you realize that it's amazing the people remaining got away with their lives.

We were lucky in Andrew because we were north of the worst part of the storm but my co-workers and many friends were not and many of us housed friends, family and co-workers for months until they could rebuild. It will be decades before the Bahamas rebuilds from this.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
It will be decades before the Bahamas rebuilds from this.
When these kinds of storms were 500-year or even 100-year events, rebuilding was feasible. We're fast approaching a time when hurricanes of this intensity will come along every 4 or 5 years instead. There will be some very difficult decisions in the near-term future, about where people can afford to live.

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows

Cheapo AM/FM radio
Batteries**
Insect repellent.

I may be blind, but water purification tablets. Or bleach.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
When these kinds of storms were 500-year or even 100-year events, rebuilding was feasible. We're fast approaching a time when hurricanes of this intensity will come along every 4 or 5 years instead. There will be some very difficult decisions in the near-term future, about where people can afford to live.
Miami is a bad choice.

• 1Agree

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Me too. I think I'd rather drink out of the toilet tank.
If you have an camping-type ice chest, you can disinfect that and fill it in the tub. Keep the lid down between uses. I did a lot of camping in the past, so I have two of the circular drink coolers with spigots, plus assorted other large food-safe containers.

• 1Like

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Bahamas preparing for "unimaginable" suffering

Officials in the Bahamas brought in more body bags and coolers as the death toll from Hurricane Dorian rose to 30 and hundreds remain missing.

The number of fatalities is expected to climb as the extent of the damage becomes clear.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/05/americas/bahamas-abaco-islands-paula-newton-notebook/index.html
"Literally hundreds, up to thousands, of people are still missing," said Joy Jibrilu, director general of the country's tourism and aviation ministry.

Body bags, additional morticians and refrigerated coolers to store bodies are being transported to Abaco and other affected areas, Health Minister Dr. Duane Sands told Guardian Radio 96.9 FM. Four morticians in Abaco are embalming remains because officials have run out of coolers, he said.

"The public needs to prepare for unimaginable information about the death toll and the human suffering," Sands said.

"Make no bones about it, the numbers will be far higher," he said. "It is going to be significantly higher than that. And it's just a matter of retrieving those bodies, making sure we understand how they died. It seems like we are splitting hairs, but not everyone who died, died in the storm."

The US Coast Guard said it had rescued 205 people as of Friday. Rescues have concentrated on Bahamas' northern islands as international teams sent small planes and helicopters to reach those stranded and feed the displaced.

A British naval vessel has joined the effort, distributing food and water, and clearing streets of debris, Bahamian Minister of National Security Marvin Dames said.

Dorian, the strongest hurricane ever to hit the Bahamas, wiped out whole neighborhoods, then lingered for days, pounding the same battered places again and again.

Though the storm targeted only a small section of the Bahamas -- a nation of more than 700 islands -- it still inflicted "generational devastation," Prime Minister Hubert Minnis said.

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Miami is a bad choice.
tell that to the snowbirds..... The Tourists... The" Wanna be rich" people.... the Exiled that somehow manage to stay under the radar... hasn't stopped people from migrating and wanting to spend the rest of their lives here(as however short or long that may be)... and of course the network of people helping them make it so.. it's like a perpetual ponzi scheme.