Huawei and conspiracy theories

Galen McGinnis

SL Rez
SLU Posts
awww did the chinese spooks out spook th e spooks at Fort Meade? Boo Hoo... dont fuck up ma phone. that is all.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
ARM has stopped selling its IP to Huawei by now, too.

If you are unaware of what ARM is: ARM is an originally British company around since at least two decades (a spinoff of Acorn), which produces very low power consumption IP cores on paper and licences those to all kind of customers, who are enhancing it with other licensed stuff as needed, and producing it whereever they want to. Samsung e.g. has fabs to do this on their own, while others are using companies like TSMC to do the job.

ARM is what powered the Apple Newton, and what powers the majority of all smartphones today. Even though Huawei is using their own brand of chaps, in the core it's licensed technology by ARM.

Huawei has stockpiled enough stuff to last for three months up to one year, they say. And ARM is not even American, but today Japanese owned. This is the toughest blow a smartphone maker could get.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Arkady Arkright

I'm just waiting for China to find some similar trumped-up (oops) excuse to ban Apple, MS, Google .etc from what will soon be one of the biggest markets in the world/

• 1Agree

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I understand why people are scared of being spied on but i see giant red flags, What kind of message you think the US government is sending to the whole world with this move? US can pull a thanos and with a snap destroy your business.. they will start working on plan B that won't include US influence..

China will be forced to make their own Independent OS. They will stop relying on US for tech and as the main manufacture for EVERYTHING we use, they have the power to really screw us over. They copy everything do. Cities, Fashion, hollywood, etc. And once they perfect it they will turn it around and offer it for sale, regardless of trademarks and laws. the people that don't like the us (and there are many) will stop buying from the US and start buying exclusively from China.. They are playing the Long game and i on't think the people in office realize this.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
China is in about the same modus as Japan was after WW2: Copy everything, hardly redesign existing stuff and resell it for sharp prices.
And now they are on the brink of the next step (that Japan also took after the copying step): Design better and more innovative stuff than the rest of the world and sell it for sharp prices.
Nothing is gonna stop the economic leadership shift towards China any time soon.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
The difference though is that within WTO there are now arbitration courts for exact that reason. A company nowadays can sue a country (!) if it feels being treated unfair, for loss of profit.

This is a thing which many American companies did in the last years. So maybe Huawei is now going to walk the same way with America on the receiving end - the outcome would be very interesting to watch.

By the way who started as copyist pigs before Japan long ago? The Germans...

Last edited:

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Last edited:

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Huawei is pretty much done for. But as for China itself, I think we're about to waken a sleeping dragon.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Sid

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Well talking about chip design - there's RISC V. This CPU set is completely open source, and although a start up, freightened ARM very much to its core. Oh, also an American design initially.

So let's just consider Huawei taking this as the foundation of their next CPUs in the long run for Android - problem solved. Then you only need to get hold on a decent GPU, hands on a baseband processor and you're done.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Sid and Brenda Archer

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Huawei is pretty much done for. But as for China itself, I think we're about to waken a sleeping dragon.
Trump won't stop at Huawei. It no longer seems to be driven by some concerns about the interaction between Huawei and Chinese government but rather an extension of this trade war he's been pursuing.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Trump won't stop at Huawei. It no longer seems to be driven by some concerns about the interaction between Huawei and Chinese government but rather an extension of this trade war he's been pursuing.
Yes, expecting him to understand anything more complex than his current desires are fruitless. He's also rather determined to paint China as a threat, which they are to some degree because they do pursue some avenues of espionage (like most countries), but of course so do we, likely being the biggest pursuers of it besides Russia (which he loves).

I think the Chinese are very resourceful and will learn how to work outside of the box, developing their own technologies which will dwarf and surpass ours and others. I wonder what would happen if they responded in kind (drastically) and said, "You know what, build your own computer parts." THAT would be huge.

This will all come back to bite those who are concerned about falling behind, and support this measure right in the backside.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
I think the Chinese are very resourceful and will learn how to work outside of the box, developing their own technologies which will dwarf and surpass ours and others. I wonder what would happen if they responded in kind (drastically) and said, "You know what, build your own computer parts." THAT would be huge.
China is over 5.000 years old; America barely 200+. I am pretty convinced that China is still going to be there when America has nuked itself back into the stone age.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Why Huawei? Anyone who knows anything knows Apple iPhones are largely build in China with Chinese parts, but they're not getting blacklisted. What exactly did Huawei do to earn Trump's ire?
G5

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Yes, expecting him to understand anything more complex than his current desires are fruitless. He's also rather determined to paint China as a threat, which they are to some degree because they do pursue some avenues of espionage (like most countries), but of course so do we, likely being the biggest pursuers of it besides Russia (which he loves).

This will all come back to bite those who are concerned about falling behind, and support this measure right in the backside.
I thought he was mad at Jina?

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
China is over 5.000 years old; America barely 200+. I am pretty convinced that China is still going to be there when America has nuked itself back into the stone age.
I think you're not being literal here but if America were to go nuclear I'm pretty positive we wouldn't limit it to ourselves.

On the other hand, our current leadership is doing a bang up job of taking us back at least 100 years or so without a touch of nuclear war.

• 1Agree

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
I've been visiting China for over 20 years. Trust me, that dragon has been awake for a long time.

All this time that we have been letting our infrastructure and schools deteriorate and our corporations have been pocketing profits instead of investing in modern plants, China has been in "let's all chip in and build a country" mode. Really, we lost the race for world economic leadership a long, long time ago -- if I had to put a date on it, it was some time around the Reagan era. Now we're just waitin' for the horses to hit the final stretch and cross the finish line -- but China's way out in the lead.

Now we're starting a trade war with them. What a match-up! In this corner -- an ambulatory pumpkin with a simpleton's view of trade and 12 brain cells. In the opposite corner, whole buildings full of PhD's who do nothing but plot China's trade strategies, with rather severe penalties for miscalculation. Only a fool would bet on the pumpkin.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
I think you're not being literal here but if America were to go nuclear I'm pretty positive we wouldn't limit it to ourselves.

On the other hand, our current leadership is doing a bang up job of taking us back at least 100 years or so without a touch of nuclear war.
Maybe, yes, and of course it's hard to limit to one country only. My old history teacher had a story on that though, back then when Nixon visited Mao, and Nixon hinted a possible nuclear strike Mao dryly hinted back that even then are going to be 10x more Chinese around than Americans at least.

Tactical wise nuclear weapons don't make sense; their only sense is in determent. For the rest more standard weaponry normally is the preferred choice within reason.

• 1Facepalm
Reactions: Govi