Huawei and conspiracy theories

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
So it would appear that all the fuss about Huawai and spying is based on a misunderstanding by a right wing internet rag - The 'backdoor' was in 2012, only in Italy, and was that well known tool of the espionage trade called 'Telnet'... Vodafone denies Huawei Italy security risk. Personally, I find far more believable the suggestion that the real objection to using Huawai equipment is that it would negate all the backdoors that US-based telecomms suppliers have been required to put into their equipment by the 3-letter agencies (NSA, CIA etc) over many years.
Before all the problems over genuine concerns blew up, I once heard someone complain, in all seriousness, that the Emerald viewer could not be trusted because "it stores your password and sends it to LL."

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Mike Pompeo threatens to stop the intelligence agency cooperation with the UK, if the UK is going to roll out Huawei 5G equipment.

One of those articles where you come away figuring either you or the person they are talking about missed something really obvious about the world. Given it is about tech I will put my money on Pompeo.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Before all the problems over genuine concerns blew up, I once heard someone complain, in all seriousness, that the Emerald viewer could not be trusted because "it stores your password and sends it to LL."
That is a frustration I have about privileges on phones and in applications: they are WAY too broad. Something like 'stores data on disk' can mean pretty much anything. I wish they would do something like the OS enforcing that an app has full privileges to modify files in a directory set aside for that app and only bug the user if they want to do a write to somewhere else (and then explicitly tell you what).

• 2Like
Reactions: Govi and Brenda Archer

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
One of those articles where you come away figuring either you or the person they are talking about missed something really obvious about the world. Given it is about tech I will put my money on Pompeo.
It doesn't matter if Pompeo missed something, or not. The real reason behind this charade is to enable American companies to get access to this market, while to push the Chinese out.

The same thing applies to the Trump administration when making pressure against the Nordstream pipeline: in reality it's not about Russia, but to sell American shale gas to customers, which otherwise don't need it.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Now I get it - Huawei is copying everything, and Trump just fears that America might get the same treatment some European landmarks got when Huawei built their Ox Horn research and development campus near Shenzhen!

Or just take a look at the photos after following the below link:

Sid

Mmmmm.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
The USA is only afraid that the Chinese might gather some information, that they think is the privilege of the US to do in every country of the world.
So use American stuff!!!!!

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Now I get it - Huawei is copying everything, and Trump just fears that America might get the same treatment some European landmarks got when Huawei built their Ox Horn research and development campus near Shenzhen!
Well, that would really trigger a narcissist like Trump! Not fear of copying, but outright jealousy of the scale.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Scale? Now this makes sense! He's trying to imitate the Chinese wall with his border fence to Mexico.

• 1LOL
Reactions: Sid

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
Why Huawei? Anyone who knows anything knows Apple iPhones are largely build in China with Chinese parts, but they're not getting blacklisted. What exactly did Huawei do to earn Trump's ire?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Why Huawei? Anyone who knows anything knows Apple iPhones are largely build in China with Chinese parts, but they're not getting blacklisted. What exactly did Huawei do to earn Trump's ire?
He found out their stuff was powered using electricity instead of steam as God intended.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
It's not so much about the phones America is lobbying against, but the networking equipment needed to get a mobile phone net up and running. Huawei is producing that stuff, too, and this is the primary target.

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
It's not so much about the phones America is lobbying against, but the networking equipment needed to get a mobile phone net up and running. Huawei is producing that stuff, too, and this is the primary target.
Indeed that. The US does not want Huawei equipment to be used for core infrastructure in the US and other countries the US can influence.
Especially not as the primary infrastructure for the whole new 5G network(s) worldwide, which is a thing Huawei invested *heavily* into when it comes to actual initial research and development of the core technologies.

As mentioned already according to the 'Conspiracy Theory' part of the thread title, the Huawei equipment definitely lacks the backdoors that US companies have (potentially) implemented into the equipment that gets produced in the US.
This is not to say at all that Huawei's might not contain their own version of said backdoors - but no matter what, Huawei's equipment lacks those the US can easily use. And the US can't have that.
Hence the immense pressure, trade war and now National Emergency. The future US surveillance of a good chunk of modern mobile network infrastructure is at risk of getting a wee bit harder to pull off, if not a wee bit more potentially accessible by other parties in turn.

Last edited:

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
As mentioned already according to the 'Conspiracy Theory' part of the thread title, the Huawei equipment definitely lacks the backdoors that US companies have (potentially) implemented into the equipment that gets produced in the US.
This is not to say at all that Huawei's might not contain their own version of said backdoors - but no matter what, Huawei's equipment lacks those the US can easily use. And the US can't have that.
:qft:

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts