Huawei and conspiracy theories

Arkady Arkright

So it would appear that all the fuss about Huawai and spying is based on a misunderstanding by a right wing internet rag - The 'backdoor' was in 2012, only in Italy, and was that well known tool of the espionage trade called 'Telnet'... Vodafone denies Huawei Italy security risk. Personally, I find far more believable the suggestion that the real objection to using Huawai equipment is that it would negate all the backdoors that US-based telecomms suppliers have been required to put into their equipment by the 3-letter agencies (NSA, CIA etc) over many years.

Bartholomew Gallacher

For me it is about another thing: one of the most important, but not very well known pillars of today's internet are sea cables, because they're cheaper than satellites and offer better latency.

Huawei is today a big player in this business; which makes it harder for America to tap certain wires.

Huawei also belongs to its employees, the shares have been split amongst them.

And even the Ex chef of the GHCQ, Robert Hannigan, is telling that they've audited Huawei's code for years, and never found any kind of backdoors in it.

Bartholomew Gallacher

Theresa May fired today her minister of defence, Gavin Wiliamson, because in her eyes he leaked a little bit too much about the dispute to the public.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Sid

Today I might do amazing things but, first coffee.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
It looks like the Dutch government is going to agree with the fact that Huawei will be building a big part of the 5G infrastructure in the Netherlands.
And why not? All big brothers are watching anyway.
IMHO best go with the most advanced and not to expensive technology. Meaning at the moment Huawei.
No matter who will build and deliver things, they will have back doors. And 'friendly' and 'not so friendly' nations secret services will tap it anyway within weeks/months after installation.
It is better for a government to invest in its own high ace encryption methodes for really sensitive and secret information.

• 1Thanks

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
So it would appear that all the fuss about Huawai and spying is based on a misunderstanding by a right wing internet rag - The 'backdoor' was in 2012, only in Italy, and was that well known tool of the espionage trade called 'Telnet'... Vodafone denies Huawei Italy security risk. Personally, I find far more believable the suggestion that the real objection to using Huawai equipment is that it would negate all the backdoors that US-based telecomms suppliers have been required to put into their equipment by the 3-letter agencies (NSA, CIA etc) over many years.
LOL!!!!!!

You do realize telnet is a standard tool that has been used for decades? Not up to snuff for security things, but great for diagnostics that only need a command line.

• 1Thanks

Arkady Arkright

LOL!!!!!!
You do realize telnet is a standard tool that has been used for decades? Not up to snuff for security things, but great for diagnostics that only need a command line.
{sigh} Of course I do. I've been in the computer communications business for over 40 years. Sorry if my sarcasm was too subtle for you, not sure which one of us that says more about...

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
...and was that well known tool of the espionage trade called 'Telnet'...
Sorry if my sarcasm was too subtle for you, not sure which one of us that says more about...
Kara is quite literal in her readings, so she's more likely to miss tonal cues for sarcasm. I've learned not to be annoyed by that; I just accept that some rhetorical flourishes will fall flat with certain readers.

Tigar

🐯 De Most Inappropriate Tigar 🐯
SL Rez
Joined SLU
🌟not on file
SLU Posts
Nerd 🤓 fight!
I feel bad about posting that 1, so I’d like to explain that I’m kinda nerdy maiself, mai best friend in jr high n’ high school 🏫 B, was very nerdy.

I useta cheat offa him during our maff classes, he cheated offa me in engrish. And yes I made him fail a couple or so tests, but he did the same ta me! 🐠

1: but not bad enough ta take it down.
B: and 1st boyfriend.
🐠: it’s easy ta do, just finish the test quick, and then go back and change the wrong answers to right ones. 😝

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
{sigh} Of course I do. I've been in the computer communications business for over 40 years. Sorry if my sarcasm was too subtle for you, not sure which one of us that says more about...
Ah, sorry about that. I was googling around after I saw your OP and a lot of people seemed confused and thought telnet was something nefarious.

• 1Hug

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Ah, sorry about that. I was googling around after I saw your OP and a lot of people seemed confused and thought telnet was something nefarious.
Can be if left as a wide open back door. :p

But not in this case. "It would not have been accessible from the internet,"

Much ado about nothing.

• 1Thanks

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
I was so annoyed when AOL switched to CD's and cut off my supply of free floppies.
I had so many of those CD’s I was wondering if there was something crafty I could make out of them.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I had so many of those CD’s I was wondering if there was something crafty I could make out of them.
At one point I'd drawn up plans for a hinge that would clip between a couple of cd's so people could make epic art.

• 1Like

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I worked out at AOL for a bit. They had various CD art around the campus. They actually did not see what people were saying by doing that.

Bartholomew Gallacher

Mike Pompeo threatens to stop the intelligence agency cooperation with the UK, if the UK is going to roll out Huawei 5G equipment.

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows