How Trump is affecting American society

Free

Nasty Hugs
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I'm not sure Trump isn't the build-up to someone far, far worse. Though, to be honest, it's hard to imagine someone far, far worse than Trump right about now.
I can't look into the future.

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I wonder if that's a real statistic? If so, that's unimaginable and OMG. Atlanta is only one city and if it's really happening in Atlanta at that rate, how bad is it in other cities?
The way they word that is kind of infuriating. Not sound like downplaying child sex trafficking, but 1/6 or 90% of 420,000 is 63,000.

Starting with the 420,000 number immediately triggers the response of "almost half a million kids being sex trafficked". When it's barely half of 100,000.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I saw an article the other day that said the coming "civil war" will look a whole lot more like the Troubles in Ireland than the War Between the States we picture in our mind.
But PIRA and the Loyalist paramilitaries had clearly defined territorial objectives for NI -- a united Ireland vs continued union with the rest of the UK (as well as controlling drugs dealing and protection rackets in particular areas).

With whom would the US militias be fighting and over what?

Jopsy Pendragon

That's it. F*CK 2020 with a rusty screwdriver.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Ghouliani is as crazy as trump, and behaves like he's jacked up on twice the amount of stimulants.... without adjusting for his smaller body mass.

So, yeah, I think in short order, he'd probably establish himself as far worse than trump.

Jopsy Pendragon

That's it. F*CK 2020 with a rusty screwdriver.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I saw an article the other day that said the coming "civil war" will look a whole lot more like the Troubles in Ireland than the War Between the States we picture in our mind.
There's more profit motive over here. If cops can improve their job security and chance for advancement by 'passively' failing to resolve civic unrest caused by bad officers and vigilantees, then it creates a situation in which their department gets more staff and more budget to resolve the desperate situation they passively helped create.

More junior staff = more chances for personal advancment.

Brinksmanship will be the death of this country.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna and Archer

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
So here is the thing - the American 'Civil War' was more akin to, after leaving the EU, the UK declared war on the EU....

Because the US is somewhere between a single Country and the EU as far as a country goes..... Less so in the 1860s [as in less a singular nation and more an alliance of them. And the southern states did leave, and -then- attacked the remaining states.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Robert Jung

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I'll say this for the year 2020, it's ripped away the tattered veil of sanctimonious patriotism. What is now glaringly obvious about the GOP is that they evinced patriotic fervor for democracy and a staunch reverence for the rule of law because it protected their interests. Once women and minorities started demanding a fair share of wealth & benefits, and a more just and impartial judgment from our rule of law, we saw that "patriotic" group recoil in horror. "Democracy" and "rule of law", Conservative blather about tradition, preservation of capital, self-reliance, stewardship were all just window-dressing for "I've got mine, you stay in your place."

Archer

Who knew?
SL Rez
Joined SLU
But PIRA and the Loyalist paramilitaries had clearly defined territorial objectives for NI -- a united Ireland vs continued union with the rest of the UK (as well as controlling drugs dealing and protection rackets in particular areas).

When most people think about the Civil War, they think traditional types of war, with, as you say, territorial objectives. But how they go about doing that is the difference. Wars can be fought many ways, and most folks in the US think of tanks, planes, regiments of uniformed soldiers taking over land areas. But it will look more like IEDs in trash cans, cars plowing through crowds, snipers at events, etc. The enemy is within us sort of thing. We are not used to that type of thinking at all.

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
When most people think about the Civil War, they think traditional types of war, with, as you say, territorial objectives. But how they go about doing that is the difference. Wars can be fought many ways, and most folks in the US think of tanks, planes, regiments of uniformed soldiers taking over land areas. But it will look more like IEDs in trash cans, cars plowing through crowds, snipers at events, etc. The enemy is within us sort of thing. We are not used to that type of thinking at all.
You can't even split the US up along any sort of Red/Blue boundary either, since it's basically Rural vs Urban.

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
This is a pretty scary article basically saying that through his comments and actions Trump has proved himself to be completely lacking in empathy.

When President Donald Trump canceled a visit to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery near Paris in 2018, he blamed rain for the last-minute decision, saying that “the helicopter couldn’t fly” and that the Secret Service wouldn’t drive him there. Neither claim was true.

Trump rejected the idea of the visit because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead, according to four people with firsthand knowledge of the discussion that day. In a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of the scheduled visit, Trump said, “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as “suckers” for getting killed.

<snip>

later in the article it goes on further to state:

The two men were set to visit Section 60, the 14-acre area of the cemetery that is the burial ground for those killed in America’s most recent wars. Kelly’s son Robert is buried in Section 60. A first lieutenant in the Marine Corps, Robert Kelly was killed in 2010 in Afghanistan. He was 29. Trump was meant, on this visit, to join John Kelly in paying respects at his son’s grave, and to comfort the families of other fallen service members. But according to sources with knowledge of this visit, Trump, while standing by Robert Kelly’s grave, turned directly to his father and said, “I don’t get it. What was in it for them?” Kelly (who declined to comment for this story) initially believed, people close to him said, that Trump was making a ham-handed reference to the selflessness of America’s all-volunteer force. But later he came to realize that Trump simply does not understand non-transactional life choices.

“He can’t fathom the idea of doing something for someone other than himself,” one of Kelly’s friends, a retired four-star general, told me. “He just thinks that anyone who does anything when there’s no direct personal gain to be had is a sucker. There’s no money in serving the nation.” Kelly’s friend went on to say, “Trump can’t imagine anyone else’s pain. That’s why he would say this to the father of a fallen marine on Memorial Day in the cemetery where he’s buried.”
It's pretty obvious by all his braggadocios that Trump is narcissistic, couple that with a complete lack of empathy and what do you get? A psychopath.

We, the American voters, have handed our country over to a psychopath. How the fuck did that actually happen?

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤

Ethnic and political cleansing, cf Tulsa, 1921, Red Summer, 1919, the FirstRed Scare/Palmer Raids, 1919, Homestead Strike, 1892 for starters. See also: Freikorp.

Last edited:

Free

Nasty Hugs
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts