How COVID-19 is affecting society

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

The Hot Water club was due to be the first place in the UK to trial the safe return of audiences as part of the trial, on 16 April. Attenders would simply have needed to show proof of a negative test and a valid ticket for entry.

In a statement on Tuesday night, the club said it had agreed in early March to be in a pilot for venues to reopen safely but there was no mention of any health certificates. “Vaccine passports were never at any time mentioned in any of the discussions we had prior to agreeing to put on the event.”

It said the confusion stemmed from a government press release that “bundled together” a number of issues, leading to headlines about a vaccine passport trial. The club said the government’s latest roadmap remained “very unclear and confusing” and it had still not been able to speak to any government official about the damage caused.
The club said: “Unfortunately, damage had already been done. Over the next two days we were subject to a hate campaign from people opposing the vaccine passport across our Facebook channel, Twitter, Instagram, emails, text messages, negative reviews, refund requests and phone calls. We have over 4,000 separate examples of negative reaction which have significantly damaged our business and brand.”

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I gotta admit, Flu World Order is clever.
Meh, no more so than "Kung Flu", but at least it's not racist.
I wish they all wore those jackets, though. It would make it easier to not end up near one accidentally.
I guess people tell themselves what they have to; when it becomes annoying is when they feel they have to beat everyone else over the head with it, and it’s bullshit at best and life-altering at worst.
i am so tired of these folks blathering on about 99% survival rate, like survival automatically means recovery. I think the former guy’s aide who lost a leg to COVID would disagree. Or Christopher Cross, who developed Guillain-Barré and had to fight his way back from paralysis. Or the people in this study: 1 in 3 Covid-19 patients are diagnosed with a neuropsychiatric condition
The “Flu World Order” lot may find out the hard way,

Last edited:

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
  • 1LOL
Reactions: WolfEyes

bubblesort

I went out to eat yesterday for the first time since lockdown started, because it's been almost 3 weeks since I got vaccinated, and according to the incidence charts, the vaccine is in full effect 2 weeks after the first shot.

First thing I noticed... the Dennys menu is only one page now. It still has all the stuff I want on it, but they got rid of all the filler stuff nobody ever orders.

I plan to go out to some bars tomorrow, to celebrate being vaccinated. I was never really a bar person, but now that I can go, I want to! I'll probably hit a theater and see godzilla vs kong over the weekend, too.

• 1Yay!
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
the vaccine is in full effect 2 weeks after the first shot.
I'm not sure where you heard that. There's a reason both shots are needed, for the mRNA vaccines. I was listening to NPR earlier today, and they were discussing the B117 variant of the Covid virus, and how effective the vaccines are against it. The virologist they were talking to said that the vaccines are still highly effective against it, as long as you've had both doses. If you've only had the first dose, then you're only slightly better protected than if you've not had a dose at all.

B117, or the UK variant, is several times more contagious, and much more virulent, than the original strain, and is quickly taking over as the dominant strain in the US. You might want to rethink your evening plans until at least two weeks after your second shot.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I went out to eat yesterday for the first time since lockdown started, because it's been almost 3 weeks since I got vaccinated, and according to the incidence charts, the vaccine is in full effect 2 weeks after the first shot.

First thing I noticed... the Dennys menu is only one page now. It still has all the stuff I want on it, but they got rid of all the filler stuff nobody ever orders.

I plan to go out to some bars tomorrow, to celebrate being vaccinated. I was never really a bar person, but now that I can go, I want to! I'll probably hit a theater and see godzilla vs kong over the weekend, too.
I felt the same way after my three weeks was up and the first thing my husband and I did was go to Home Depot and then go grocery shopping. We also met some vaccinated friends at a restaurant and dined out doors around their fire pit with a bottle of wine. It was divine! That said, we all wore our masks and I'm still not ready to get into crowds or fly yet.

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
What scientists know about where the COVID-19 virus came from (msn.com)

More than a year after a "mysterious pneumonia" sickened workers at a seafood market in China, scientists are still gathering clues about where SARS-CoV-2 -- the virus that causes COVID-19 -- emerged from.

"It's critical to understand where this virus came from, so that we can understand how to stop future outbreaks going forward," said Anne Rimoin, an infectious disease epidemiologist at UCLA.

The investigation into the virus' origins is crucial for public health and science reasons, but it has also sparked tension among world powers, especially between the United States and China, whose leaders have accused one another of lack of transparency and xenophobia during the pandemic.

"It's not about finger-pointing -- it's just about understanding it, so we know how to do better in the future," Rimoin said.

[...]

Scientists have long said that SARS-CoV-2 has zoonotic origins, meaning that it likely jumped from animals to people when humans came in contact with an animal infected with the virus. That contact could include handling the infected animal, eating it or preparing the animal for market, according to Rimoin.

However, experts didn't know exactly how the virus had gotten into people and reaching a definitive conclusion about SARS-CoV-2's origins might take years. They also don't know where or when the virus first made its way into humans and several studies suggest that it may have been present elsewhere in the world -- perhaps circulating at low levels -- before the major outbreak in Wuhan, China.

bubblesort

I'm not sure where you heard that. There's a reason both shots are needed, for the mRNA vaccines. I was listening to NPR earlier today, and they were discussing the B117 variant of the Covid virus, and how effective the vaccines are against it. The virologist they were talking to said that the vaccines are still highly effective against it, as long as you've had both doses. If you've only had the first dose, then you're only slightly better protected than if you've not had a dose at all.

B117, or the UK variant, is several times more contagious, and much more virulent, than the original strain, and is quickly taking over as the dominant strain in the US. You might want to rethink your evening plans until at least two weeks after your second shot.
Yeah, I know the media is reporting that we should wait until 2 weeks after the second dose, but journalists can't read math. I can. If it matters, I have a bachelors degree in economics, so I'm slightly better at reading math than the average lay person. I put up a post a few weeks ago, complete with authoritative numbers, about why I'm waiting 2 weeks after the first dose. My decision is backed by math, not punditry.

I'm actually waiting almost 3 weeks, but still... I'm fully vaccinated. I need the second dose to remain fully vaccinated, but I'm still considering myself vaccinated now. I'm still wearing my mask, because it's still a dick move to go around without a mask when most people should be masking, but I'm not concerned about going to Dennys or the local pub now and then.

As far as variants go... IDK what to make of it, I'm not a doctor, but I'm not that concerned about it yet. It seems like most medical people I know are saying it's not a big deal, but the media is acting like the variants are going to kill us all.

Like I said, I'm still wearing a mask, except when I'm eating and drinking. I'm just not as scared to go out now.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Yeah, I know the media is reporting that we should wait until 2 weeks after the second dose, but journalists can't read math. I can. If it matters, I have a bachelors degree in economics, so I'm slightly better at reading math than the average lay person. I put up a post a few weeks ago, complete with authoritative numbers, about why I'm waiting 2 weeks after the first dose. My decision is backed by math, not punditry.

I'm actually waiting almost 3 weeks, but still... I'm fully vaccinated. I need the second dose to remain fully vaccinated, but I'm still considering myself vaccinated now. I'm still wearing my mask, because it's still a dick move to go around without a mask when most people should be masking, but I'm not concerned about going to Dennys or the local pub now and then.

As far as variants go... IDK what to make of it, I'm not a doctor, but I'm not that concerned about it yet. It seems like most medical people I know are saying it's not a big deal, but the media is acting like the variants are going to kill us all.

Like I said, I'm still wearing a mask, except when I'm eating and drinking. I'm just not as scared to go out now.
Whether or not you're vaccinated, it's still an open question whether you can still become infected and therefore, while almost certainly asymptomatic and in no danger yourself, still pose a grave risk to others.

So masks, social distancing and so on are still in order, to protect others, which has always been their main point.

bubblesort

Whether or not you're vaccinated, it's still an open question whether you can still become infected and therefore, while almost certainly asymptomatic and in no danger yourself, still pose a grave risk to others.

So masks, social distancing and so on are still in order, to protect others, which has always been their main point.
No, the jury is not out. They gave vaccines to one group, then gave no vaccine to a control group, then tested them all for COVID-19. Tests don't care if you are asymptomatic or not. They just measure if you have been infected. The rates of positive tests in the vaccinated group separate from the unvaccinated group at around day 14, and then the numbers in the vaccinated group stay relatively flat, with all 3 vaccines we use in America.

I'm still wearing a mask, but that's for social reasons, rather than medical. I want people to expect everybody to wear masks until most people are vaccinated.