How COVID-19 is affecting society

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Does that include offsetting the income from the crown estates?
It's the sovereign grant, which is paid for from the income from the crown estates, which belongs to the government (the estates themselves belong to the reigning monarch, but can't be sold).

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Since the property does not belong to the government I don't think it's fair to count that as part of the cost of the royal family.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Since the property does not belong to the government I don't think it's fair to count that as part of the cost of the royal family.
The property and the income from the property are two different things, though, and the income (not the property) belongs to the government.

I don't mind paying for the royal family -- I'd far rather have a ceremonial head of state than a president who is both head of state and head of government, and a head of state, whether a monarch or a president, needs some official residences and a household. But I do regard the income from the Crown Estates as government money.

In addition to the sovereign grant, She has a private income from the Duchy of Lancaster worth about $20 million a year, and also from her private wealth, which is estimated at $530 million.

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts

Shaun's response to that particular bit in a nutshell: "The Crown Estates? You mean MY land?"

Last edited:

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
And what happens if the government eliminates the monarchy?

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
The land belongs to the reigning monarch (who can't sell it) but the income belongs to the government.
I think you missed the part where Shaun says "Let's just take the land back".

ETA: to put things into perspective - last year, Mr. Georg Friedrich Hohenzollern, a descendant of Wilhelm II and relative of Mrs. Elizabeth Windsor, sued the state of Brandenburg for the restitution of thousands of pieces of art and Cecilienhof Palace. The general consensus of the population is that he and his family of inbred, degenerate bloodsuckers need to go fuck themselves. It's also not as if British monarchy didn't already have some experience with having their loot seized or else they would be one of the largest landowners in North America.

Last edited:

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Don't get me started about the costs of maintaining the royal puppet theater.
The budgets are smartly spread over all kind of ministries often hidden in all kinds of budgets. Not even MP's can give exact numbers.
Some are even secret, like the security costs

The kings grandmother Queen Juliana made a very smart move during her reign by selling all the palaces to the government. That means: A) Millions in the royal pockets. B) The rent the Oranje-Nassau's pay now for living in them are for the biggest part on the state budget as Royal household costs, so they live almost for free in them. C) Maintenance and renovation of the palaces is since that switch on the Dutch tax payers tab as well. And that doesn't come cheap.
The renovation of the palace where the king and his family lives, just outside The Hague, is renovated over the last years: 63 million Euro. And there are several of them: three are in use as museums, three as royal palaces. One of the museum palaces (the biggest one, where his great grandmother lived) is under renovation too: Estimated costs 123 million.

They don't pay taxes. No income tax, no property or wealth tax, no succession duties.

We would be much better of with a republic IMHO. More democratic and most likely cheaper.
And of course a ceremonial president only, like in Germany and Switserland.

Last edited:

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
My sympathy has been used up by worry for the first responders and medical workers put at risk -- both physical and emotional -- by the idiots who thought this rally was a good idea in the first place.

How the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally may have spread coronavirus across the Upper Midwest
Within weeks of the gathering that drew nearly half a million bikers, the Dakotas, along with Wyoming, Minnesota and Montana, were leading the nation in new coronavirus infections per capita.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
My sympathy has been used up by worry for the first responders and medical workers put at risk -- both physical and emotional -- by the idiots who thought this rally was a good idea in the first place.

How the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally may have spread coronavirus across the Upper Midwest
Within weeks of the gathering that drew nearly half a million bikers, the Dakotas, along with Wyoming, Minnesota and Montana, were leading the nation in new coronavirus infections per capita.
I would not be surprised if the major pro cycling rounds in Europe are spreading events too. Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Vuelta in Spain.
People are advised not to go and watch along the route, to stay at home behind the screens, but there are always crowded places around spectacular points and start and finish places. Most of the time no or very little distancing, a lot of screaming.

• 1Sad
Reactions: Govi

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
And what happens if the government eliminates the monarchy?
Then the land belongs to whatever succeeds the monarchy, I guess, or whoever or whatever the law then says it then belongs to, and ditto the income from ir, but I don't see the point of the question.

• 1Meh
Reactions: detrius

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Evernote link because paywall

Raises some good questions about the point at which opinions become so dangerously wrong they shouldn't be published, and how that decision can be made, if it can, and by whom.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts