How COVID-19 is affecting society

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
My best guess would be (extrapolating outward from my own advancing age), that the older you are, the less likely you are to give up your remaining sources of pleasure. Awareness of impending mortality probably leads to a certain pragmatism: enjoy myself before I die, which is going to happen soon anyway, so what the hell.

I'm socially isolating as directed, but this is not a hardship for me since I'm pretty close to being a recluse already. And I also have a reasonable chance of living at least another 10 years if COVID-19 doesn't get me. If I were 85 years old and very social, the math would work out quite differently.

This doesn't appear to be a matter of awareness of their status. Daoust cites a survey of US residents done by Pew that indicates the elderly are more likely to consider COVID-19 a serious crisis and threat to people's health. Given how frequently it's emphasized by public health authorities in other countries, it's likely that the United States isn't unique in this regard. Yet these individuals don't appear to be acting on this knowledge.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

Her tweet is still up two days later if you want to see her fight the entire internet.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez

Sredni Eel

In Space, no one can hear you Cha Cha Cha!

Her tweet is still up two days later if you want to see her fight the entire internet.
She chose a stupid hill to die on. Meanwhile, can she be charged with child neglect for refusing to wear a mask so her son could get his finger splinted?

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Expecting a horror show. Sure hope I'm wrong!

"Upon reopening in August, all school boards and charter school governing boards must open brick and mortar schools at least five days per week for all students, subject to advice and orders of the Florida Department of Health, local departments of health, Executive Order 20-149 and subsequent executive orders," the order reads.

School districts must also provide "the full array of services that are required by law so that families who wish to educate their children in a brick and mortar school have the opportunity to do so."

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Expecting a horror show. Sure hope I'm wrong!

Worried for a friend of mine, since she's a school teacher in Florida. Especially since not sure our county or city education people can countermand a state directive like we have for everything else.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

As several people note in the comments, for a practicing Sikh to cut off his beard is a huge sacrifice -- as I understand it, he'll have to be formally re-admitted to Sikhism before he can fully participate again in communal worship.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Since we know that he doesn't actually have a care for any lives lost or destroyed by this virus and his only concern ever is himself, I'm going to say this is, as usual, about the election. That is really all he cares about. In that light, perhaps he is thinking that if children return to school there will be a bit more normalcy in people's lives (well those that don't succumb to getting the virus) and therefore it will be less fresh in their minds as they vote.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤

Sredni Eel

In Space, no one can hear you Cha Cha Cha!
An insider's view of schools reopening in the fall:

As of July 8, and pending the meeting between the district and the union tomorrow, Middle and High schools will be opening fully online, but kids will have access to socially distanced extra curricular activities.

Here's the scoop for elementary schools, in particular the one where I work:

Fencing and gates have been installed at all points of entry. The OH building exterior doors have been perma-locked, except to staff with magnetic key cards.

When school starts on August 17 (so far the date has been pushed from the 12th to the 17th so staff can prepare), we will be required to wear PPE, including masks, smocks, face shields, and gloves.

The schedule has been staggered so half the kids will be coming to school on Monday/Tuesday and the other half on Thursday/Friday. It looks like Wednesdays will be fully online.

While teachers are teaching in person, they will simultaneously be holding zoom sessions for the kids who had to remain at home. There are some interesting logistics here that I won't get into, but suffice to say some of the teachers are freaking out about this.

Classrooms will no longer allow for clustered together morning meetings or small learning groups. Instead of four kids to a table, there will now be two kids per table, one on either end.

It is required to wash hands frequently.

Recess will be staggered from about 9:50 till about 11 for the different classes (first through fifth). Lunch will have a two hour block of staggered students.

Kids must play first, and then have about ten minutes to eat.

Somehow, we have to figure out how to staff the yard duty. Teachers will no longer be able to use the lounge to eat their lunches.

We're going to be cleaning a lot.

All this does not addresss the specials (art, science, PE, music, etc), nor does it address extra help like Speech, OT, and APE. Oh, and it looks like choir and orchestra has been cancelled entirely.

As far as testing, I'm unsure what will be required of staff just yet. CDC and county guidelines seem pretty strict in that we will all be asked if we have had any symptoms when we arrive for work. If even *one* of the symptoms is a YES, we have to go get tested, and pending a negative test, we can only return to work 72 hours AFTER the symptom disappears.

This includes headache, nausea, fever (of course), and all the myriad of other symptoms related to COVID.

The kicker, of course, is the fact that Migraines share quite a few of the symptoms of COVID (headache, chills, nausea, sometimes fever). I'm unclear how this is going to work for someone like me, who has been diagnosed with migraines and gets them at the drop of a hat.

The principal spent quite a lot of her own money buying contactless thermometers for all classrooms.

Here's the fun part: We no longer have the budget for a school nurse. That ended last april.

It's going to be an interesting year.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I'm unclear how this is going to work for someone like me, who has been diagnosed with migraines and gets them at the drop of a hat.
Maybe stop dropping your hat? It's bad for the brim and crown.

Ohio State is getting rid of as much in person instruction as possible. Studio and lab classes will have staggered meetings. We were offered a choice of in-person, on-line, or hybrid, and only one person in my unit is teaching a hybrid class. Mass lecture classes did not have a choice, there will be no auditorium classes.

But ICE is fucking around with rules for international students. I know some of mine will stay in China for now, but anyone in or coming to campus from abroad has to be careful not to take too many on-line classes or risk their student visa.

Sovereignty

SL Rez
An insider's view of schools reopening in the fall:

As of July 8, and pending the meeting between the district and the union tomorrow, Middle and High schools will be opening fully online, but kids will have access to socially distanced extra curricular activities.

Here's the scoop for elementary schools, in particular the one where I work:

Fencing and gates have been installed at all points of entry. The OH building exterior doors have been perma-locked, except to staff with magnetic key cards.

When school starts on August 17 (so far the date has been pushed from the 12th to the 17th so staff can prepare), we will be required to wear PPE, including masks, smocks, face shields, and gloves.

The schedule has been staggered so half the kids will be coming to school on Monday/Tuesday and the other half on Thursday/Friday. It looks like Wednesdays will be fully online.

While teachers are teaching in person, they will simultaneously be holding zoom sessions for the kids who had to remain at home. There are some interesting logistics here that I won't get into, but suffice to say some of the teachers are freaking out about this.

Classrooms will no longer allow for clustered together morning meetings or small learning groups. Instead of four kids to a table, there will now be two kids per table, one on either end.

It is required to wash hands frequently.

Recess will be staggered from about 9:50 till about 11 for the different classes (first through fifth). Lunch will have a two hour block of staggered students.

Kids must play first, and then have about ten minutes to eat.

Somehow, we have to figure out how to staff the yard duty. Teachers will no longer be able to use the lounge to eat their lunches.

We're going to be cleaning a lot.

All this does not addresss the specials (art, science, PE, music, etc), nor does it address extra help like Speech, OT, and APE. Oh, and it looks like choir and orchestra has been cancelled entirely.

As far as testing, I'm unsure what will be required of staff just yet. CDC and county guidelines seem pretty strict in that we will all be asked if we have had any symptoms when we arrive for work. If even *one* of the symptoms is a YES, we have to go get tested, and pending a negative test, we can only return to work 72 hours AFTER the symptom disappears.

This includes headache, nausea, fever (of course), and all the myriad of other symptoms related to COVID.

The kicker, of course, is the fact that Migraines share quite a few of the symptoms of COVID (headache, chills, nausea, sometimes fever). I'm unclear how this is going to work for someone like me, who has been diagnosed with migraines and gets them at the drop of a hat.

The principal spent quite a lot of her own money buying contactless thermometers for all classrooms.

Here's the fun part: We no longer have the budget for a school nurse. That ended last april.

It's going to be an interesting year.
May angels guide your path. And I'm not religious.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Once again Donnie tries to fool us. He can't *force* schools to open. It's a state and local decision. Whatever federal education funding there is, was passed by Congress in the budget. He can't just withhold it. And even places that open their schools, the parents will decide if they want to risk their kids going. Lastly, what kind of idiot want's to risk his election on angry parents shouting "you're trying to kill my kids"?

Last edited: