How COVID-19 is affecting society

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Maybe Japanese men are different, but I've always been surprised by how many men I see standing blocking the aisles in the middle of the supermarket clearly on the phone to their wives or girlfriends, asking what they should be buying ("I know you say you wanted two of a, but they've got special offers on b, c, and d"), so I suspect his hopes of a speedy masculine shopping trip will be disappointed.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Global leaders have pledged to accelerate cooperation on a coronavirus vaccine and to share research, treatment and medicines across the globe. But the United States did not take part in the World Health Organization initiative, in a sign of Donald Trump’s increasing isolation on the global stage.

The cooperation pledge, made at a virtual meeting, was designed to show that wealthy countries will not keep the results of research from developing countries.

The meeting also represented a symbolic endorsement of the United Nations body in the face of Trump’s decision to suspend US payments and condemn its leaders as subordinates of the Chinese Communist party. China and the US have accused each other of bullying and disinformation over the coronavirus outbreak, damaging efforts to secure cooperation at the G20, the natural international institution to handle global health outside the UN.

Instead an ad hoc grouping of 20 world leaders and global health figures were on the call, including the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, the French president, Emmanuel Macron, and the American philanthropist Bill Gates. Britain will co-chair a joint coronavirus global response summit on 4 May aimed at raising funds for vaccine research, treatments and tests.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
RE: Civil War - it was about slavery and it wasn't. It was more about losing the poor white laborers to the old west, and not being able to claim the land for themselves [which is to say the 1800s version of the 1% didn't want to share with anyone else; but how do you say 'We're seceding and fighting with the north because we want to keep the majority of you down under our heel? Because how many poor laborers are going to fight if that's the case.

I half suspect that the whole 'I'm not poor, I'm just a millionaire down on my luck mentality was fostered then, except it was 'Well, one day I'll be rich enough to own slaves too' and so being told 'We're fighting to keep our time honoured institution of slavery' was seen as something worth fighting for, even if you were logically never going to be rich enough to own slaves yourself.

Also, at least one northern in history that I know of became a seceding slave owner - the Mass. gentleman who came to Pensacola to build Fort Pickens; ironically, it was that fort that managed to reclaim the city for the Union.... yeah, I'm a history buff too, and that bit cracked me up.

Anyway, like most things, though, its a bit more complicated. Just like the Union did not -just- fight to free slaves. The south was the agricultural center of the country, and the north was industrial. But it sure does sound grander to say 'We're fighting to free the slaves and preserve the Union'.

And it was of course that, too, though the best reason would be 'They started it." [The Confederacy -did- in fact start it, and not by leaving]

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
RE: Civil War - it was about slavery and it wasn't. It was more about losing the poor white laborers to the old west, and not being able to claim the land for themselves [which is to say the 1800s version of the 1% didn't want to share with anyone else; but how do you say 'We're seceding and fighting with the north because we want to keep the majority of you down under our heel? Because how many poor laborers are going to fight if that's the case.
There is a difference between why the war started and why many signed up to fight. Preserve the Union/Defend the Homeland is what recruits signed up for.

It really had nothing to do with losing white labor to the West. The Free Soil party wanted to open up the West to family farmers. The South wanted the West open to plantation agriculture. That difference led to the political conflicts that turned violent throughout the 1850s.

The South was agrarian but it was not the agricultural center of the United States. There were three primary export crops, cotton, tobacco, and sugar, that took up the bulk of Southern agriculture. Thanks to Northern investment in roads, canals, and rail, the East Coast ate primarily Ohio Valley grain and fruits with local vegetables.

East Coast industries were not afraid of losing labor because European immigrants were cheaper than native born workers. Only the South had to resort to night riders to keep workers.

It comes down to slavery. More specifically expansion of slave labor into the West which Plantation owners saw as necessary to their way of life but free soil advoctes saw as incompatible with small farm agriculture.

Sredni Eel

In Space, no one can hear you Cha Cha Cha!
I didn't watch the whole thing, but over here mortgage lenders will be typically be offering borrowers the option either to spread the three (or however many) months' repayments over the whole life of the mortgage or to extend the life of the mortgage by however many months plus interest.

Whatever happens, very few mortgage borrowers will have to pay the whole amount as soon as the lockdown finishes.

I'm much more worried about people in rented accommodation who haven't been able to work, since their landlords probably won't be as patient as the banks can afford to be.

Similarly, I'm worried about people who used to max out their credit card every month, then pay it off in full out of their next month's earnings, thus treating themselves to a phantom thirteenth month's paycheck every year (I made the mistake of doing that when I was younger, and it took me years to extricate myself from the hole I fell into when my partner was taken ill and I had to cut back on work considerably to become a carer).
A lot of landlords, particularly those who own apartment complexes, are not giving leeway. If you can show you're unable to pay rent, you get to defer those payments till June. If you can't pay the entire amount of rent after that, you're getting evicted.

Keep in mind that a two bedroom apartment in the SF Bay Area is a minimum of $2400/month. For folks who don't have income, due to COVID, this means they're going to owe at least $7200 or lose their homes. I don't know about the rest of humanity, but there's no way I'd be able to swing that much money in June if I weren't working right now.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Hmm, trying to figure out how to cut the cord during this. The cable company's covid page directs to their normal page to return equiptment, which involves going out to fedex. I need to ask them what my options are, since both of us have preexisting conditions that is a no go. I would be fine with putting their stuff out and paying for them to pick it up. Anyone else with a similar problem?

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I don't know if we've been keeping up with the news over the potentially flawed studies from Stanford and Santa Clara county. Here's a synopsis of it, with some science/critical analysis attached:

Meanwhile, here's an op-ed about a similar study performed at the University of Miami, where the science behind it looks to be less sketchy:

Another Antibodies Data Point
Today researchers at the University of Miami released the preliminary results of serology (antibodies) testing in Miami-Dad County. They estimate that 6% of the population – or 165,000 residents – have been exposed to the disease. According to this write-up: “The researchers say they are 95% certain that the true amount of infection lies between 4.4% and 7.9% of the population, with 6% representing the best estimate.” The methodology for the sample appears to have been more robust than that applied in the Stanford group’s studies in California. Researchers say they used data from electrical utility Florida Power and Light to generate phone numbers in targeted demographic areas who were then contacted asked to voluntarily provide samples.

The study’s lead researcher is Erin Kobetz, a University of Miami professor of medicine and public health sciences.

Another notable number. The finding of 165,000 residents is roughly 15x higher than the Miami-Dade’s official number of lab confirmed cases. The study released by New York State yesterday pointed to roughly 12x the number of infections in New York City as the official lab confirmed number.

Nostrildamus

Should have a break this summer, just have to stock up on supplies, vaccine is coming but don't know if they'll have it in time for next flu season.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Should have a break this summer, just have to stock up on supplies, vaccine is coming but don't know if they'll have it in time for next flu season.
And would that next flu season be occurring in or around the year 3797?

• 1ROFL
Reactions: Govi

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
So your source is what?

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
BTW, prs is not a good first place to post.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Archer

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I TROLL U AWL LOLZ
Sort of moot, Bubba.

And since you just posted your only intention here to "MAEK TEH LIBRAL SNOWFLAEK CRI" you can go on ignore because everything you post will be utter trolly intellectually vaccuous bullshit.

LRN 2 TROLL, N00B.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Should have a break this summer, just have to stock up on supplies, more bleach is coming but don't know if they'll have it in time for next flu season.
/fixed

Not all of us are interested in following TheGreatOrangeOne's medical advice.

Shouldn't you be cleaning your rifle so you can out-do the other mall ninjas blockading the hospitals?

Or shopping so you can look like you're trying to wear an entire military surplus store? Tacticool is "in" this year with your ilk.

Protip, when making your "protest" posters, the arms on the swastika point to the right. Wouldn't want your Stormfront buddies to laugh at you.

Last edited: