How COVID-19 is affecting society

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I guess that would make sense if you equivocate everything.
e·quiv·o·cate
/əˈkwivəˌkāt/

verb
verb: equivocate; 3rd person present: equivocates; past tense: equivocated; past participle: equivocated; gerund or present participle: equivocating
  1. use ambiguous language so as to conceal the truth or avoid committing oneself.
    "“Not that we are aware of,” she equivocated"

• 1Useful
Reactions: Archer

tailpa

monstrosities of insanity, insolence, blep. :P
SL Rez
10% Of KLM Passengers From South Africa Test Positive For Coronavirus
  • Ben Schlappig
Around 10% of passengers on KLM flights from South Africa yesterday tested positive for coronavirus upon arrival, despite a pre-travel testing requirement. That sure makes you wonder…

KLM operates flights from both Cape Town (KL598) and Johannesburg (KL592) to Amsterdam, and Friday’s flights were problematic. The Netherlands imposed a South Africa flight ban on Friday in light of the new variant, but at the time KLM flights were already enroute from South Africa to the Netherlands.

When the KLM flights landed at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, authorities weren’t sure what to do with these passengers. One flight was held on the tarmac for several hours, and a New York Times Global Health Reporter was even on the flight, live Tweeting the whole situation.

At least 61 KLM passengers test positive for coronavirus
Of the roughly 600 passengers on the two flights, at least 61 people have tested positive for coronavirus, which is a positivity rate of around 10% (and presumably more people will test positive for coronavirus in the coming days). This is pretty wild, because it’s reported that passengers also had to show a negative coronavirus test result prior to travel, taken within 24 hours.

Passengers were kept at the airport until their coronavirus test results were available. Of the 61 passengers who tested positive, it’s not yet known how many had the new omicron variant, though testing is being conducted now to figure that out.

What should we even make of this?
It’s pretty shocking to consider that 10% of passengers on these two KLM flights tested positive for coronavirus:
  • Passengers had to get tested prior to travel, suggesting that they only started testing positive within the past 24-36 hours
  • If anyone caught coronavirus on the plane, it’s unlikely that they’d test positive so quickly after contracting it, suggesting that most people testing positive had coronavirus before even getting on the plane
  • We don’t know much about the omicron variant yet, but between vaccination, pre-travel testing, natural immunity, etc., you can’t help but wonder what’s going on that’s causing 10% of passengers to test positive
  • While South Africa is seeing an increase in coronavirus cases, the number of passengers who tested positive for coronavirus is disproportionate to the epidemiological situation in the country (as of now)
I’ve written in the past about how coronavirus testing for travel is a shady business. Not only is it really easy to fake a coronavirus test result, but the providers that do the testing are also often questionable, in terms of analyzing test results, verifying that the person being tested is who they say they are, etc. I can’t help but wonder how many of the pre-travel testing results were legitimate…

(from 10% Of KLM Passengers From South Africa Test Positive For Coronavirus )
Suspected Omicron Covid cases found in Germany and Czech Republic
Tom Ambrose
Sat 27 Nov 2021 12.29 GMT

The first suspected cases of the Omicron Covid variant in Germany and the Czech Republic are being investigated... Omicron, first identified in South Africa and known officially as B.1.1.529, has already been detected in travellers in Belgium, Hong Kong and Israel, according to reports.

Dozens of people who arrived in the Netherlands on two flights from South Africa on Friday tested positive for Covid. Tests are under way to establish if any have the Omicron variant after arriving at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam...

One of the passengers onboard was Stephanie Nolen, the New York Times global health reporter, who was on her first flight since the start of the pandemic. She tested negative but said passengers were being kept in a small space at the airport, with many not wearing face masks.

She tweeted: “Probably 30% of people are wearing no mask or only over mouth. Dutch authorities not enforcing. We’re just all in this unventilated room at hour 12, breathing on each other.”

(full article)
Covid: Two cases of new variant Omicron detected in UK
By Alex Kleiderman
BBC News

(full article)

Last edited:

tailpa

monstrosities of insanity, insolence, blep. :P
SL Rez
Arizona schools address COVID’s impact on student mental health
  • NATASHA YEE Cronkite News
  • Nov 26, 2021 Updated 13 hrs ago
Teens are struggling more than usual with their mental health, due to social isolation, economic instability and other worries surrounding COVID-19...

These conditions affect some children more than others. One CDC study found that about half of LGBTQ high school students and about one-third of those unsure of their sexual identity had seriously considered suicide, compared with 15% of heterosexual students.

And among children living below the federal poverty level, 22% – more than 1 in 5 – have a mental, behavioral or developmental disorder, according to the CDC.

A study by the national nonprofit FAIR Health found that mental health claims for 13- to 18-year-olds in March and April 2020 roughly doubled compared with the same months the year before. Intentional self-harm claims in the same age group increased by 90% from March 2019 to March 2020.

Central is part of Phoenix Union High School District, a large urban district in which 81% of students are Latino, many are refugees, and more than half speak a primary language other than English at home.

The school sent a needs assessment to its 1,800 pupils at the beginning of the 2021-22 school year, and more than a third of students responded. Forty percent self-reported unmet social, emotional or mental health needs and dramatic changes in behavior, while 30% responded that they were struggling with peer relationships and gender or sexual identity.

(full article)

• 1Eye Roll
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
It was bad enough you had to go spreading your fearmongering on the SL forum, so now you have to try it here. FFS, grow up and get a life.

ETA: Not you, Innula. You snuck yours in on me. lol

• 1Agree
Reactions: Spirits Rising

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
As soon as Chroma appeared here after being banned from the official SL forums I put them on ignore because, while I'm not without sympathy for their issues, I just don't have the patience, I'm sorry to say.

This does make some threads rather puzzling, though.

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Chaos Agent Forum Lord💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
As soon as Chroma appeared here after being banned from the official SL forums I put them on ignore because, while I'm not without sympathy for their issues, I just don't have the patience, I'm sorry to say.

This does make some threads rather puzzling, though.
GIVE INTO THE MADNESS!!!!

Spirits Rising

Quite Blunt
SL Rez
Joined SLU
08/24/2014
SLU Posts
Ah yes, because we don't happen to agree with you or share your concern ... we're "ghouls".

Grow the fuck up you ignorant child.

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Chaos Agent Forum Lord💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
Whats yer mbti????????

IM AN INFP!!!

And to stay on topic, covid bad.