SLU Posts
Last edited:

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
What the actual fuck?

Florida governor signs law preempting local COVID edicts

By BOBBY CAINA CALVAN, Associated Press 3 hrs ago

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis moved to suspend all remaining COVID-19 restrictions imposed by communities across his state, signing into law on Monday freshly passed legislation giving him sweeping powers to invalidate local emergency measures put in place during the pandemic — including mask mandates, limitations on business operations and the shuttering of schools.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Thing is, Florida is apparently more like Texas - ie, counties are just going to ignore his stupid, corrupt, evil edicts, like they've been doing since the -last- time he did this.

But seriously, he's already done this once or twice, and everyone is still doing what we were doing before. Even when he and our Senators/congresscritter put pressure on our Mayor to get rid of our local edicts in exchange for help after Sally hit.... we didn't. The mayor cancelled them and then the city council said 'Yeah, no' and put them right back. Considering that we have a 'powerful' mayor law, this had to have all been planned, but like I said, nothing changed.

I don't see it changing now.

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Thing is, Florida is apparently more like Texas - ie, counties are just going to ignore his stupid, corrupt, evil edicts, like they've been doing since the -last- time he did this.

But seriously, he's already done this once or twice, and everyone is still doing what we were doing before. Even when he and our Senators/congresscritter put pressure on our Mayor to get rid of our local edicts in exchange for help after Sally hit.... we didn't. The mayor cancelled them and then the city council said 'Yeah, no' and put them right back. Considering that we have a 'powerful' mayor law, this had to have all been planned, but like I said, nothing changed.

I keep thinking if something ever happened to T I'd sell this place and move back to somewhere familiar, then I remember why I spent about half of my life trying to get out of the south and stay out, especially after reading something like that article. It's been 15 years now and I'd be worse off there than here.

That and I would just have to hunt Koda down so I could run him over race him with my Hoverounds. Ok skip the racing, I'll just beat him with a nerf bat then we can have a super soaker war. 🤭

Clara D.

O.o
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts

AZ's Gov Douchey tried canelling mandates. City mayors ignored him.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Meanwhile, in Delhi
As soon as one ambulance left, three others turned up in their place, all with Covid-19 patients in severe distress. Sasi Devi, 47, lay on a stretcher in the back of an ambulance. This was the sixth time her family had brought her here in the hope of admission.

“Give me poison, end this pain,” Devi rasped. But her son returned from the hospital gates, shaking his head. “No oxygen cylinder, no bed,” he said quietly. “So now we will take her home to die.”
Others waited for their dead to be returned. Priyanka Gupta, 29, sobbed as she said she had been waiting all day to reclaim the body of her mother, 57-year-old Rita Devi.

“Yesterday for six hours my mother was kept waiting outside this hospital but they would not let her in even when her oxygen fell to 19%,” said Gupta. “It was only when she was dead that they finally took her inside the hospital, and now I don’t know when I can get her body back.”

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Meanwhile,*Ucker Carlson is still trying to discourage prior from getting vaccinated, and bonus! mocking Obama for actually aging at the same time.

Carlson thinks he doesn't present as a creepy old guy to children? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*deep breath*HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Parts of that, Modi''s actions, sound uncomfortably like the former guy. Except India was in a much worse position than the US. I've seen calls for him to resign. If he's as much like the firmer guy as he seems, that won't come easy.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Epidemiologists in India and abroad currently estimate that the country’s official reported Covid-19 death toll – around 222,000 at time of publication – only accounts for a fraction of the real number. The director of the US-based Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation has estimated that India is only detecting three to four percent of actual cases. Other experts point to total excess deaths in cities such as Mumbai as proof that there could be 60% to 70% more deaths from Covid-19 than the government is admitting to.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
A small town in Japan called Noto recently decided, with all the enthusiasm of a kid finding a $20 bill in their birthday card, to spend a bunch of federal COVID relief money on a giant statue of a flying squid. Despite the fact that this is a very fun way to use a sudden windfall, the big squid has led to debate over why Noto’s politicians thought its construction was a good use of funds that could probably be better spent helping people not die in a pandemic.
Their reasoning for building the giant squid statue: Tourism.