How COVID-19 is affecting society

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
This is why we can't have nice things. (Thread)

Looking at his feed, he appears to have never believed in masks or quarantine. He retweets one person calling Biden deranged, demented, sinister and unscientific. That was in response to Biden wanting to reinstate mask mandates. In another he retweets another saying that the lockdowns were all a fraud and to look back on his timeline as he's been saying that for some time.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
This is beginning really to worry me.

Emile Macron is up for re-election next year, and Marine le Pen is already running pretty much neck and neck* with him in the polls.

Macron was originally very much the "hold your nose as you vote for the one who isn't a fascist" compromise candidate in the run-off last time, and there is certainly a less-than-negligible risk that the fascists will get in next time round. He's pretty much centre-right, though comparatively moderate as far as the French mainstream right go. He has to be competent, because people have very little political commitment to him.

*ETA

Marine le Pen is currently at 27% and he's at 24%, so it will all depend on the run-offs, as it did when first he was elected.

By comparison, in 2017 he won 24.01% in the first round compared to her 21.30%, and then went on to win the second round at 66.1%-33.9%, so Macron is still clearly best placed to win, but after Brexit and Trump and Johnson, and a bloody great big black swan called Covid-19, we can't discount anything.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

This is somewhat alarming since, at least on the face of it, they were complying with the current restrictions and even though I've not been a believer for decades, the idea of the police raiding a church on Good Friday to stop the mass being celebrated really does feel all sorts of wrong, and I would imagine the Polish congregation there feel even more strongly about it than do I, since Poland stopped persecuting Catholics a lot more recently than did the UK.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Not sure if this belongs here or in the Florida thread, but WTF? DeathSantis wants to punish businesses for wanting to protect their employees' health and that of their sane customers?

I'm not at all sure how he's going to enforce this if the airlines and airports everywhere (including Florida) require masks and are talking about requiring proof of a vaccine. Not to mention hospitals, doctors offices, dentists and other health related businesses where, until we achieve herd immunity, will still present a containment problem and a danger to employees and customers alike.

It's going to be a mess - I can just see these MAGAot assholes going from business to business, saying they've been vaccinated and then challenging the requirement to wear a mask. :beatup::mad:

• 1Agree
Reactions: Romana

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I'm not at all sure how he's going to enforce this if the airlines and airports everywhere (including Florida) require masks and are talking about requiring a vaccine. Not to mention hospitals, doctors offices, dentists and other health related businesses where, until we achieve herd immunity, will still present a containment problem and a danger to employees and customers alike.

It's going to be a mess - I can just see these MAGAot assholes going from business to business, saying they've been vaccinated and then challenging the requirement to wear a mask. :beatup::mad:
Way to destroy the economy - really. Because serously, I've got my vaccine - and I'm still wearing my mask out. In fact, every single person I know; online and off, that has said anything about it, are planning on doing the same thing.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
You can still pick the virus up and transport it around.

And you'd think being vaccinated would make you more likely to be less or asymptomatic, and breathing disease in a globe around yourself.