How COVID-19 is affecting society

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
:hellokitty:

With the parade of dates for when the Trump administration anticipates seeing a COVID-19 vaccine (October 2020, November 2020, or by the end of this year, or by January 2021, or later in 2021), you can be forgiven for experiencing some confusion.
Uh boy. Go read the rest for what they call the hard numbers.

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
A third!

PSU football doctor: 30-35 percent of COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes had myocarditis
During a State College Area school board of directors meeting on Monday night, Wayne Sebastianelli — Penn State’s director of athletic medicine — made some alarming comments about the link between COVID-19 and myocarditis, particularly in Big Ten athletes. Sebastianelli said that cardiac MRI scans revealed that approximately a third of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 appeared to have myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle that can be fatal if left unchecked.

“When we looked at our COVID-positive athletes, whether they were symptomatic or not, 30 to roughly 35 percent of their heart muscles (were) inflamed,” Sebastianelli said. “And we really just don’t know what to do with it right now. It’s still very early in the infection. Some of that has led to the Pac-12 and the Big Ten’s decision to sort of put a hiatus on what’s happening.”
I highlighted what I think is an important point: It doesn't matter if they're symptomatic or not.

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Isabeau

Merdeuse
These people have always been around, believing their ''gut'' feelings over more complicated and nuanced explanations. They can somehow feel that there is something unfair about how society is run, but jump on board of easy answers that fit their bias. These more conservative types cannot be against traditional values as this would mean they would have to go against everything they have believed since childhood, so it's simply easier to believe in some kind of wacko conspiracy. They've just been able to gather more easily (and are easier to pull) into a community because of the internet. When you feel uncertain about the future, or when things seem too complicated, it must be comforting to be a part of a community that doesn't ridicule you for your lack of knowledge or your difficulty in grasping nuance.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
(I'm not very familiar with ''Thrive Global'' except that it was launched by Arianna Huffington but I liked this.)

One thing I've found difficult since Trump is how there really isn't any way to have ''grey thinking''
The solution to the Goodness Binary is Grey Thinking, where we accept that good things usually have some bad elements, that bad things usually have some good elements, and that many things lie somewhere in the middle. Grey Thinking makes us more effective at identifying solutions (because it allows us to better consider necessary tradeoffs) and helps us avoid accidentally harming the world through misguided good intentions.
I can't think of anything ''good'' about him or his party, so suddenly, everything and anyone against him suddenly is ''good''. He and his adorers are so extreme, we are almost forced into another extreme. Makes my brain hurt.

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
In July, 52% of young adults resided with one or both of their parents, up from 47% in February, according to a new Pew Research Center analysis of monthly Census Bureau data. The number living with parents grew to 26.6 million, an increase of 2.6 million from February. The number and share of young adults living with their parents grew across the board for all major racial and ethnic groups, men and women, and metropolitan and rural residents, as well as in all four main census regions. Growth was sharpest for the youngest adults (ages 18 to 24) and for White young adults.

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Started in 2016 by a London developer, OnlyFans began as a platform for celebrities and influencers to share exclusive content with their fans — for a price. So, for instance, a celebrity could share photos or offer one-on-one video conferences that only paid subscribers will have access to. In the years since, the platform has also become a home for sex workers to harvest a following and, potentially, avoid unsafe work environments. In February of this year it reported more than 20 million users, with more than 200,000 content creators.

Since the coronavirus pandemic has spread through the world, OnlyFans has become much more.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
These people have always been around, believing their ''gut'' feelings over more complicated and nuanced explanations. They can somehow feel that there is something unfair about how society is run, but jump on board of easy answers that fit their bias. These more conservative types cannot be against traditional values as this would mean they would have to go against everything they have believed since childhood, so it's simply easier to believe in some kind of wacko conspiracy. They've just been able to gather more easily (and are easier to pull) into a community because of the internet. When you feel uncertain about the future, or when things seem too complicated, it must be comforting to be a part of a community that doesn't ridicule you for your lack of knowledge or your difficulty in grasping nuance.
I'm not so sure people fall for conspiracy theories simply because they're unintelligent or they're on the political right -- think of some of the 9/11 Truthers, for example, or the number of people who believe in some sort of historico-religious nonsense based on the ideas popularised in the DaVinci Code.

This, on the recent German demonstrations, is interesting

• 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Govi and Isabeau

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

This is probably because the increase in cases has mostly been among YOUNG STUDENTS, who aren't dying off due to the virus as much as the older folk. Meanwhile, the total is +190k and counting.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Is there a graph like that of excess deaths over 2019?

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Isabeau

Merdeuse
I'm not so sure people fall for conspiracy theories simply because they're unintelligent or they're on the political right -- think of some of the 9/11 Truthers, for example, or the number of people who believe in some sort of historico-religious nonsense based on the ideas popularised in the DaVinci Code.
Oh, I agree, and that isn't what I was saying. People can be intelligent or knowledgeable and still have difficulty with abstract or nuanced thinking. It doesn't necessarily mean only Republicans can fall for conspiracies, but I do believe conservatives are more likely to cling to tradition, to be wary of change, or to question a set way of life. You can still find many, right centre left, who will fall for ''easy'' answers to difficult situations.