How COVID-19 is affecting society

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Guess what party he's in.

"I want to use my story to remind Oklahomans that if you aren't feeling well, we want you to get tested," said Stitt, who added that he is not considering a statewide mask mandate as of now.

Stitt's diagnosis is particularly notable, as he has not only pushed to aggressively reopen his state despite a surge in cases but has at times disregarded advice from medical experts. In March, he faced backlash for posting a photo of himself and his children at a crowded restaurant, which he later deleted.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
On a serious note, what these anti-mask Covidiots don't seem to realize is that, if they sue the business for ADA infraction and take it to court, they're going to have to prove, under penalty of perjury, that they do have an ADA-qualified disability that precludes them from wearing a mask.

I suspect less than 1% of those arguing such a claim actually have such a disability. If I were a business owner, I'd take my chances with those odds and keep the morons out.
As someone involved in disability issues it is obvious they are making some major mistakes. For example, businesses are required to make a reasonable accommodation .. not just let someone in who will put their employees and other customers in danger. Do they have curbside pickup or delivery? They already met the standard, especially if they will do it for free with documentation of need. Odds are most people with health issues will be the last ones out in public screaming at people.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
A very dear friend of mine retired from full-time teaching a few years ago, but continued as a part-time adjunct in teacher education at a local college. Just last week she made the decision to quit teaching altogether. She's in her late 60s, asthmatic, and her husband is in his 70s and has lung damage from a previous case of pneumonia. She didn't trust that she could stay safe under the current conditions in schools, and trying to coach student teachers virtually just wasn't worth the risk.

This one anecdotal story, but I'm betting that an entire generation of teachers in their late 50s and 60s are strongly considering early retirement rather than putting themselves at risk under conditions that make effective teaching so difficult. That expertise is being lost prematurely, and it's a loss that will effect education for years.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

Awfully kind of them to let the school districts choose not to kill their children.
NH has mask recommendations for schools, not requirements. They are doing pretty good but still. My sister is the only one up there with a kid in school and she makes me look reckless about covid 19 in comparison. My parents both used to teach in that school so they know how that building is. I am guessing my niece will do at least some of her sr year virtually.

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
Call 1 800 eat shit .
I could get behind that if their legal advice consists of "We're in the middle of a pandemic. Wearing a mask is for your own protection and the protection of others, so any business that banned you from their property did so for a good reason. There's no chance of you winning a lawsuit over this. Now that'll be $200, please."

ETA: oh, that's exactly what they're doing. XD
Sorry, the link wouldn't open at first.

Last edited:

bubblesort

Are masks clothing? That debate seems to be a major issue at nudist resorts.

I hope they decide masks are not clothing. If a mask is clothing, then mandating it be worn would be exactly the kind of rule nudists organize to resist. Maybe they will decide masks are safety equipment, like condoms. I'm pretty sure nudists don't have a philosophical issue with condoms.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
More Woolery. Because WHY NOT?

CBS News correspondent Catherine Herridge asked Trump about the retweet in an interview on Tuesday.

“You reposted a tweet yesterday saying that CDC and health officials are lying. You understand this is confusing for the public. So who do they believe? You, or the medical professionals like Dr. Fauci?” Herridge asked, referring to National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Anthony Fauci.

“I didn’t make a comment,” Trump responded. “I reposted a tweet that a lot of people feel. But all I am doing is making a comment. I’m just putting somebody’s voice out there. There are many voices. There are many people that think we shouldn’t do this kind of testing, because all we do, it’s a trap.”
Oh Trump, it's not just a trap.