How COVID-19 is affecting society

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
When the pandemic first hit, we were already stocked with masks -- my wife had bought them for general protection during household maintenance projects that raised dust or mold. But our stock is dwindling, and for the first time I'm having to pay attention to the specifics rather than the generalities of getting masks.

So, what's out there? What do you find useful? I'm assuming I can't just order off Amazon since so many places are in dire need of PPE, or is that also an option?

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
When the pandemic first hit, we were already stocked with masks -- my wife had bought them for general protection during household maintenance projects that raised dust or mold. But our stock is dwindling, and for the first time I'm having to pay attention to the specifics rather than the generalities of getting masks.

So, what's out there? What do you find useful? I'm assuming I can't just order off Amazon since so many places are in dire need of PPE, or is that also an option?
I have a couple of bandannas I wear "bandito" style, a mask a friend made, and a painter's mask (with a filter in the vent to protect others).

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
The Administration now seems to be channeling religious populism, following the lead of people like Erdogan in Turkey and Orbán in Hungary. Combined with his stuff about Henry Ford and good bloodlines yesterday, he's really getting into scary territory.

OK, he can't actually do very much, but watching the President of the US stumbling round as he tries to sound like a fascist strongman is truly worrying.

Last edited:

Jopsy Pendragon

I'm now giving negative Eff's. I'm in debt.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The way they're pushing hydroxychloroquiine, you'd think they believe it brainwashes people into voting republican... or kills them if they're inclined to vote differently.

Or maybe they're just counting on the long term detrimental effects to kill a lot of people earlier in life so that insurance & social security doesn't have to support them as long after they're no longer profitable tax paying corporate minions.

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The way they're pushing hydroxychloroquiine, you'd think they believe it brainwashes people into voting republican... or kills them if they're inclined to vote differently.
Trump looks like an ass because of it, so they need to bring in the soldiers to back him up. To do that, they have to sell the shit (drug) like it cures death itself.

Sovereignty

SL Rez
Trump looks like an ass because of it, so they need to bring in the soldiers to back him up. To do that, they have to sell the shit (drug) like it cures death itself.
Trump didn't already look like an ass????

The alternative is saying he looked kind of intelligent before. Oh, okay.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤

I've looked this up a few times and from what I've been seeing they recommend a mask that performs two functions: one fabric with a tight weave and with a bit of mass so the virus particles will get "lost" (heavy stiff cotton or flannel), and something with an electrostatic effect to .. I dunno, something about water droplets: silk, chamoise, or polyetheline like the kind you get with shoe covers you buy cheap on eBay. If a mask has a "vent" keep in mind the concept of a vent was developed only for a specific set of industrial applications, like painting or sand blasting. Once you've stopped using the compressor for a few seconds you don't need to be filtering as much and want to breath easier. Covid-19 doesn't give us that luxury in close quarters.

You'll need to do your own research, but my current set of masks is heavy cotton with a filter pocket, with a tissue or paper towl and a just-mention shoe cover. The newest one I bought also has a stiff, heavy filter cloth as well. It has folds in it so you can expand it to cover down to the chin. I've got the lung capacity to handle it, you may require something lighter weight. Craigslist will have a lot of local home mask makers, might as well keep the money in the community.

Make sure you don't get a lightweight "summer" mask unless that's your only viable option. Even the best non-medical grade masks only catch like 50-60% of virus particles so you need serious armor.

Google for stuff like mask fabric

And again, do your research. I'm probably missing something.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
We are unlocking the lockdown at the moment and the only thing I fear is the lack of common sense of the Dutch people.
People become careless and have the feeling that they can go back to business as usual.
They seem to want it all and they want it now.
I'm not really optimistic for what could happen in the next months.
It's like that all over the US as well. Hell, my county supervisors all voted to defy California's governor's orders and open everything up for business, and Trump just threatened the governors of all 50 states to open up all churches post haste - or else!

The "second wave" is going to be a bitch.

Jopsy Pendragon

I'm now giving negative Eff's. I'm in debt.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
It's like that all over the US as well. Hell, my county supervisors all voted to defy California's governor's orders and open everything up for business, and Trump just threatened the governors of all 50 states to open up all churches post haste - or else!
His handlers know that should any of the sane governors refuse to comply with his 'forceful suggestion' that the right-wing crazies in those states will likely escalate their civil disobedience. Probably to a violent level. Any excuse to take up arms in a crisis, I mean, what's the point of having all these guns if you never get a chance to use'm?

And that'll create chaos and discord and expensive problems for state governments that aren't already kissing his ass as deeply as possible.

So fuck unity and bringing the country together in a time of crisis... he's gonna burn this mother down from the inside to make sure that whoever follows him has an unsalvagable wreck to deal with.

He's like three rage tweets away from a full on "Heil Hydra!" outburst... and no one will be at all surprised when it comes.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
OK, he can't actually do very much, but watching the President of the US stumbling round as he tries to sound like a fascist strongman is truly worrying.
Worrying, but completely expected.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
The thing is, neither Dump nor the right-wing crazies can make people go to church or synagogue. A lot of the people who will despite quarantine are doing it already, like the Evangelicals or Hasidic Jews.
It's theater on his part, but it's puzzling, because the spikes his theatatricd will likely cause can only hurt his cause (asidr from getting people killed, which doesn't matter to him).

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

Actually, you can. Their supplies are getting better. We have 6 cloth masks coming in a few days. Also some filtered cloth masks (the kind with vents for exercising) coming about the same time, the second was a long trip from china, I like it but if it never arrives I wanted to have something. This way we can cycle between what ones we are using and washing.