How COVID-19 is affecting society

Sid

Lurking until the next post
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
We are unlocking the lockdown at the moment and the only thing I fear is the lack of common sense of the Dutch people.
People become careless and have the feeling that they can go back to business as usual.
They seem to want it all and they want it now.
I'm not really optimistic for what could happen in the next months.

bubblesort

In fairness, I'm like around 90% sure that companies like Pepsi make banners like that as an empty template that local businesses can buy and turn into signs for their own sales or events, so there's a chance Pepsi isn't responsible for this decision.

Still though, lol
I'll have to remember that if I ever want to print a communist banner for a rally, LOL

• 1LOL
  • 1Yay!
Reactions: Sid and Grandma Bates

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
We are unlocking the lockdown at the moment and the only thing I fear is the lack of common sense of the Dutch people.
People become careless and have the feeling that they can go back to business as usual.
They seem to want it all and they want it now.
I'm not really optimistic for what could happen in the next months.
Germany too, it seems.

I've stopped worrying -- or am trying to, at least -- about things I can't affect, like other people's behaviour -- all I can do, or so it seems to me, is to take every care not to catch the disease myself and not to pass it on to others.

If people want to join demonstrations, or set fire to phone masts, or enjoy a day out on a crowded beach, I can't stop them, but I can stay out of their way, which is what I am doing.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

I'd be really interested to learn what US people think of this article -- it seemed to me to make sense, but I don't know the country it describes, and I fear it may be persuasive simply because, if true, it confirms some of the worst cliches and some of my worst suspicions about the US.

• 1Interesting
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Rose Karuna and Sid

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts

I'd be really interested to learn what US people think of this article -- it seemed to me to make sense, but I don't know the country it describes, and I fear it may be persuasive simply because, if true, it confirms some of the worst cliches and some of my worst suspicions about the US.
I didn't read the whole article because it is spot on and it makes me see red [I really can't get news about the GOP directly any more because it makes me furious, which does the opposite of relaxing me so I'm not in constant pain]. I think that's the main reason we're opening up in so many GOP strongholds; because it doesn't affect us 'whites' so no worries.

Except numbers in my own county before I gave up on account of inaccuracies in reporting for our state indicates that this belief is not accurate.

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
I have to read the entire article, but the reason so many White people, especially those who are a little more fluent, feel 'safer' and that CoVid-19 is only dangerous to "certain demographics" is because, due to lockdowns and the nature of most 'essential' work, THOSE "certain demographics" have been the most exposed to places and people who may put them at risk of infection. Most of the people blaming victims for their own deaths are people who have been much insulated, and safer as a direct result, than what they care to realize and/or acknowledge.

As things open up the way they demand, and they continue to be careless in taking precautions, they'll find out that once exposed, other "demographics" will be in danger, too.

Last edited:

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010

Yes, yes and yes. Middle and upper America, of whom many have the security of still being able to work at home made a decision after reading article after article describing exactly who was getting this disease as the "essential workers" often were minorities and/or poor. They decided, with prodding from their overlords, criminals and psychos that their need to be "served" by those workers, despite the risk to said workers, was inherently justified. They began to make claims about being caged, which is rather ironic considering that they also likely support the very real caging of brown children at the border.

There was an article about a wealthy boardwalk style area re-opening in New Jersey. The almost universal customer base of those frolicking were well-to-do white people as people of color were inside the shops, wearing their masks, serving said people, nervously and afraid. One of these contributors to humanity (clearly over 60) stated that she wasn't worried as she isn't in the at-risk group. Oh really? She was over 60, which is considered an at-risk group, so what exactly does she mean? She means she isn't a servant and she isn't a minority.

It's a reflection of our caste system, which is looking very Victorian alongside the underlying racism that people of color's lives are expendable. What would one expect from a country that is willing to let people die due to lack of healthcare, again often minority and poor?

Also, of course, blaming the victim is par for the course. America, when you look at it today is completely immoral, one might even say genocidal, and getting more and more that way each passing day.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Nailed it.

These passages were especially insightful:
It’s not surprising that Americans, who are used to tackling every problem through the lens of “individual rights”, would struggle with how to respond to the collective demands of a pandemic.

“It’s this mismatch in terms of a social problem, and the tools we have at our disposal to make sense of it,” the sociologist Jennifer Carlson said.
The myth of American individualism has continued to grow decade after decade, eroding the sense of community that used to balance and blend that perspective. It's now morphing into "every man for himself" to a dysfunctional degree.

And yes, everything about the role of racism in our cultural/political response rings really true.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

This is very relevant to Covid-19, since the Government's position that low-paid healthcare workers who require visas to work here should not be exempted from the visa surcharge for access to the NHS had become completely unsustainable, with a large revolt from their own MPs, because of the vital role played by these same workers in the current crisis.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I actually said similar words to my sister about a week ago. I said, "If these people had been alive during WWII, they would have been running out into the streets when London was being bombed." That was in regard to that restaurant that was packed on Mother's Day.

This woman? If she had done that to me, I'm not sure I would have restrained myself. I have already been spit upon and had I later developed the virus I wouldn't even have known who may have given it to me. I think, this time around I might just consider decking the person, and then when the police were called, I'd at least have their name for future reference, unlike that poor lady that worked the ticket office in London.
Oh, I'd have definitely cleaned her clock, and then would have had her charged for assault. I'm pretty sure my action would have been seen as self-defense.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Lyric

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Oh, I'd have definitely cleaned her clock, and then would have had her charged for assault. I'm pretty sure my action would have been seen as self-defense.
It would have been. It was not like a random cough and she just did not have her arm up in time. She approached him and deliberately did it at his face.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale