How coronavirus is affecting politics

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Can he even do that? He thinks he can just order a lot of things that aren't that way, or legal. Or safe, as the article notes.
Even if he manages to get the right people to cave, it probably won't have the effect he's looking for.
For one thing, a lot of people are not going to take it. Including me, unless my own trusted medical experts (doctors I see and my brother) say it's OK. And I doubt if I'm the only non-Dump voter who feels that way. (edit: Beebo just proved my point).
And then there are all the Qballs and people like that "Bill Gates 666" guy. Unless Dump himself oversees the vaccine from start to finish (and he may claim to) they won't give up their conspiracy theories that easily.
And then there's all the things that can go wrong....
It basically thinks the potus is a dictator. Far from it. Also executive orders are not laws, they have limits and another president can get rid of them.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Romana

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
After the cholorquine fiasco, people are going to be a lot more alert to fake drug recommendations. There's about a hundred vaccines and drugs being tested around the world. So it is unlikely the best ones will be the first to arrive. I can keep sheltering at home as long as I have to.
Sane people will be very sceptical of any drug recommendation coming from him. If he wants to test something on his MAGAts, though, and they agree, let them.
I got my blood test results today, and I mentioned this to my doctor. He said what I thought he would, there's no way Dump can influence this. There are parallel trials going on in other countries, it's not just a US thing, and he can't order it otherwise.
If he is still in power when adv effective vaccine comes out, he will try to take credit, but it will be in no part his doing.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Sane people will be very sceptical of any drug recommendation coming from him. If he wants to test something on his MAGAts, though, and they agree, let them.
I got my blood test results today, and I mentioned this to my doctor. He said what I thought he would, there's no way Dump can influence this. There are parallel trials going on in other countries, it's not just a US thing, and he can't order it otherwise.
If he is still in power when adv effective vaccine comes out, he will try to take credit, but it will be in no part his doing.
There will likely be more than one out first and more effective ones after. I would advise going with whichever one your doctor suggests. The one the orange one suggests is whatever lines his pockets the most.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
There will likely be more than one out first and more effective ones after. I would advise going with whichever one your doctor suggests. The one the orange one suggests is whatever lines his pockets the most.
Exactly.
As I said, I'm glad I have a doctor that I've known so long and can trust to ask. And my brother, of course.
I wouldn't take Dump's wires for it if he told me water was wet, lol.

Sovereignty

SL Rez
After the cholorquine fiasco, people are going to be a lot more alert to fake drug recommendations. There's about a hundred vaccines and drugs being tested around the world. So it is unlikely the best ones will be the first to arrive. I can keep sheltering at home as long as I have to.
Trump was the principal component of the HCQ fiasco, that and the political backlash. It should have been a simple matter of letting the science play out, but no.

Meanwhile, the dexamethasone study is getting a somewhat cool reception from MD's even though it is from a double-blind RCT.

Dexamethasone Improves Survival in COVID-19 — Why This Should Be Practice Changing Even Before the Paper is Published
But my assumption was that clinical practice would change quickly, awaiting the updating of guidelines. After all, this is what we’ve been waiting for — data from a randomized trial demonstrating a clear benefit. Even better, it’s a readily available, inexpensive strategy — a course of corticosteroids — familiar to us all.

I confess the responses to my post, and comments elsewhere, surprised me. Lots of skepticism. Wow.
(emphasis in original)

• 1Interesting

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Trump was the principal component of the HCQ fiasco, that and the political backlash. It should have been a simple matter of letting the science play out, but no.

Meanwhile, the dexamethasone study is getting a somewhat cool reception from MD's even though it is from a double-blind RCT.

Dexamethasone Improves Survival in COVID-19 — Why This Should Be Practice Changing Even Before the Paper is Published
(emphasis in original)
Do you suppose they think that maybe he might jump on the idea and gum up the works? He's even more desperate now after all.
I haven't heard anything further about the famotidine study either.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Do you suppose they think that maybe he might jump on the idea and gum up the works? He's even more desperate now after all.
I haven't heard anything further about the famotidine study either.
Trump is hoping for anything that looks like a medical miracle so that he can ride its coattails to an easy re-election win.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Exactly.
As I said, I'm glad I have a doctor that I've known so long and can trust to ask. And my brother, of course.
I wouldn't take Dump's wires for it if he told me water was wet, lol.
I would probably talk to my neurologist as she would know if anything was bad for epilepsy. My normal doctor is always busy anyway and I wind up seeing some random doctor in her office.

• 1Hug

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

(emphasis in original)
The NHS has been using it for a week now to treat patients on ventilators or oxygen support

So if there's a problem, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Arkady Arkright

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
The NHS has been using it for a week now to treat patients on ventilators or oxygen support

So if there's a problem, I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Dump was touting it as a miracle cure or even a preventative that everyone should take. It would be easy for it to be prescribed wrongly that way, like too high a dose or something. I don’t think doctors in intensive care works make those mistakes.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Dump was touting it as a miracle cure or even a preventative that everyone Doris take. It would be easy for it to be prescribed wrongly that way, like too high a dose or something. I don’t think doctors in intensive care works make those mistakes.
The official UK guidance on Dexamethasone can be downloaded from CAS - Home

The summary is:
For immediate action

Dexamethasone has been demonstrated to have a clear place in the management of hospitalised patients with COVID-19.​
There were no excess harms identified in using this dose of dexamethasone in this patient population.​
Dexamethasone was not used in pregnant women.​
Clinicians should therefore consider dexamethasone for the management of hospitalised patients with COVID-19 who require oxygen or ventilation.​
Out of hospital treatment is not appropriate. [Emphasis in original]​
There is no current or anticipated constraint on supply of the medicine in the UK.​

Dexamethasone in the treatment of COVID-19: Implementation and management of supply for treatment in hospitals