How coronavirus is affecting politics

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I was going to put this in an existing thread but I thought maybe the government stuff deserved a thread of its own. (Of course, if Cristiano feels differently, he can put it in one of the other threads, whichever is best)

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
There are still people in the world that use "colored"...

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts

Free

10K under the hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
This is precisely the kind of rushed, politically-aligned fiasco that concerns me. Even if a vaccine is approved, I'm not taking it until we're deep into another administration and the corruption of the FDA and CDC have been addressed. If (god forbid) Trump "wins" again, I'm avoiding it for another 4 years.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Can he even do that? He thinks he can just order a lot of things that aren't that way, or legal. Or safe, as the article notes.
Even if he manages to get the right people to cave, it probably won't have the effect he's looking for.
For one thing, a lot of people are not going to take it. Including me, unless my own trusted medical experts (doctors I see and my brother) say it's OK. And I doubt if I'm the only non-Dump voter who feels that way. (edit: Beebo just proved my point).
And then there are all the Qballs and people like that "Bill Gates 666" guy. Unless Dump himself oversees the vaccine from start to finish (and he may claim to) they won't give up their conspiracy theories that easily.
And then there's all the things that can go wrong....

• 1Agree
Reactions: Sovereignty

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
This is precisely the kind of rushed, politically-aligned fiasco that concerns me. Even if a vaccine is approved, I'm not taking it until we're deep into another administration and the corruption of the FDA and CDC have been addressed. If (god forbid) Trump "wins" again, I'm avoiding it for another 4 years.
Other countries will presumably not give it premature approval, though, and neither will the WHO, so I think that -- even assuming there is something to test, that is -- you'll need to avoid it only for the few months it will take for people to start dropping dead for the trials that will be going on in multiple countries to conclude.

I'm terrified to think of the general implications for public health in the US if he did that. Anti-vaxers are bad, and plentiful, enough as it is , but If the vaccine is given premature approval and then doesn't work, or actually proves harmful, what's going to happen when, a month down the line, Canada, Germany, France, the UK, China, and everyone, else approves another one, that does work?

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Can he even do that? He thinks he can just order a lot of things that aren't that way, or legal. Or safe, as the article notes.
Even if he manages to get the right people to cave, it probably won't have the effect he's looking for.
For one thing, a lot of people are not going to take it. Including me, unless my own trusted medical experts (doctors I see and my brother) say it's OK. And I doubt if I'm the only non-Dump voter who feels that way. (edit: Beebo just proved my point).
And then there are all the Qballs and people like that "Bill Gates 666" guy. Unless Dump himself oversees the vaccine from start to finish (and he may claim to) they won't give up their conspiracy theories that easily.
And then there's all the things that can go wrong....
Trump already thinks he is above all laws and regulations. Can he do all that? No, probably not. Will he try? Oh, most certainly! Will things blow up when he does try? You can count on it. I'm with Beebo: Until we get someone new in charge, and can undo some of the damage Trump has done, I am not going to be at the front of the line for that vaccine.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Trump already thinks he is above all laws and regulations. Can he do all that? No, probably not. Will he try? Oh, most certainly! Will things blow up when he does try? You can count on it. I'm with Beebo: Until we get someone new in charge, and can undo some of the damage Trump has done, I am not going to be at the front of the line for that vaccine.
I don't have the luxury of choosing to wait. My adrenal condition makes me more likely to get very sick if I get COVID. I'm just lucky in the people I'll be able to ask. My brother absolutely would NOT tell me something was safe if there was any question of it not being so. He's a cautious doctor, and a cautious person, Uber normal circumstances; COVID has only made him more so. My endocrinologist I've been seeing over half my life, and he has saved my life.
Both these doctors don't think there will be a vaccine before the end of the year.
I'm sure the companies making the vaccines are painfully aware of the lawsuits they could face if they put out an unsafe vaccine and it made people sick itself or worse (plus they're stock vslue would probably plummet).
However much Dump leans on the CDC, NIH, or whoever is irrelevant to that.
I have many reasons to hope that Dump and company are ousted in November, but if they are not, I can not live like this for another four years.
Everyone else can do what they feel is right for them.
Hey, if I take after I'm told it's safe and then I die, I don't care as long as it's quick. I'd be well out of it. And I won't know if anyone laughs.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Sovereignty

SL Rez
Other countries will presumably not give it premature approval, though, and neither will the WHO, so I think that -- even assuming there is something to test, that is -- you'll need to avoid it only for the few months it will take for people to start dropping dead for the trials that will be going on in multiple countries to conclude.

I'm terrified to think of the general implications for public health in the US if he did that. Anti-vaxers are bad, and plentiful, enough as it is , but If the vaccine is given premature approval and then doesn't work, or actually proves harmful, what's going to happen when, a month down the line, Canada, Germany, France, the UK, China, and everyone, else approves another one, that does work?
Borrowing trouble worrying about things like this. I'd be concerned if it happens. Until then, I can't do anything to prevent it.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
After the cholorquine fiasco, people are going to be a lot more alert to fake drug recommendations. There's about a hundred vaccines and drugs being tested around the world. So it is unlikely the best ones will be the first to arrive. I can keep sheltering at home as long as I have to.